650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Intro and trouble!

Intro and trouble!
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
dzmerrick

PostPosted: June 24, 2006, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Intro and trouble!

Hi everybody.
y name is Dan and I have recently come to own a 1979 yamaha xs650fs. Well so far I am loving it and it is proving to be a fantastic bike ot learn to ride on. However I have run into a problem and now everything has come to a halt.
I was riding a few days ago and on flat terrain I noticed I was losing power. Not las in I hit the gas and the bike won't accelerate as fast as I need. Instead at a steady cruise the bike begins to slow and I can hear the rpms dropping. I tried to engage the clutch and shift to neutral to prevent a stall. The clutch worked fine but the gear shift had gone to jelly. There was no resistance at all, after the bike stopped it just died and it took forever for me to get the thing back into nuetral. Now the tranny will only shift between 1st an N, and in most cases with a great deal of cajoling.
Can anyone give me any pointers on how to trouble shoot this issue and prevent it in the future?
Wulf

PostPosted: June 25, 2006, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro and trouble!

Hey Dan, welcome aboard. Man, sounds like you've got more issues than you can shake a stick at. I know this sounds like a dumb question, but have you checked the fuel level in the tank? Did you put the petcock on reserve? Next, check the spark plugs to see if they've fouled out. Get a new set of plugs from the autoparts store. (Much cheaper than at the dealer for the identical plug) As for the shifting issue, how is the oil level in the crankcase. Use 20w50. With the engine off can you shift through the gears? Check these things and let us know what you find and we'll go from there.
Wulf

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1