650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > taking apart the engine for paint.

taking apart the engine for paint.
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
r6_ryder_03

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 3:01 am    Post subject: taking apart the engine for paint.

hello there, i would like to take the engine apart so i can paint the top end of the engine. i want to do from where the air cooling fins start all the way to the top. anyone have a step by step or any pointers that i need to know for dissassebling and reassembling? will i need any specialty tools other than a ring compressor and what do i need to replace as in gaskets and stuff when i reassemble it. thanks for all the help in advance. also how do i prep the engine for the paint?
sure

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

are you only taking it apart to paint it?
I painted my motor complete.you just have to mask it very very good and make sure it is super clean.
r6_ryder_03

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

ye i was thinking of doing it while it was complete. im not sure yet if i need new gaskets or not. i def need some on the bottom end cause of an oil leak. so as for prep i dont need to sand it down or sandblast it or anything like that? just have it really clean? should i use any chemicals to clean it?
calicruiser

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

hey dude, here is what I did with mine, degrease it and powerwash it. make sure you put rags or something in the exhaust ports and carbs ports. I took mine to a carwash and did it there. A buddy to help pick the monster up is nice too! Degrease it with some engine brite or something similar. Then let it dry up, mask off the areas you dont want to paint and paint it with 500* engine enamal. duplicolor makes some. get it at checker or other auto place. here is mine all painted up.

aaa.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  489.09 KB
 Viewed:  353 Time(s)

aaa.jpg

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

calicruiser;
Beautiful workmanship. Suicide shifter, now that's real nice. Does that badboy have a foot clutch?
Photo Gallery
calicruiser

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

hey dude, saw you asked about polishing the aluminum on another post. thought I'd throw my thoughts in here so you have it all in one place.

the hard way: (if you dont have a buffer)
wetsand the engine cases with 600-1000-1500-2000. once you get to 2000 you will see your hardwork paying off finally. then, hand polish with mothers and they should be looking pretty good.

the easy way: (if you have a buffer)
buff the hell outta them with mothers and they will look good!

hope this helps!
calicruiser

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

Retiredgentleman wrote:
calicruiser;
Beautiful workmanship. Suicide shifter, now that's real nice. Does that badboy have a foot clutch?

thanks retired,
this is my first frame up build. I even painted it! I am gonna run a hand clutch (like normal) because I am only running a rear brake. only have 2 feet and they both can't be up when sitting on a hill! thanks again. dont want to hijack ry's thread though;)
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

Nice one Calicruiser..What are those forks ?
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

How come you opted NOT to draw a straight line (top of the frame) from the neck to the rear axle? Was that a choice or a mistake? If it was a choice, how come you did it that way?

I mean it's a beautiful bike, and I know you got tons of hard work poured into it and I could never do one so good myself -- but that odd line makes it look a little sway-backed.
r6_ryder_03

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

wow i must say beautiful bike and great work! i love the suicide shift! im also doing it on mine, but clutch will be on the shifter. thanks for the help with painting and polishing. looks like i need to take apart the engine tho im gonna replace all gaskets. im curious tho how did you prep and paint the rest of your beast? you truly are suicidal tho only having the rear brake and a suicide shift lol.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

What are the wheels? I'd like to have a rear disc with spoked wheels.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
calicruiser

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

pumps,
they are your basic harley wheels. I chose the 80 spoke variety! front end is a 2" under DNA springer so the harley wheel is compatible and i made the axle plates for the 3/4" rear axle.

R6,
the frame is powdercoated and I painted the tins. sealed the tank first, then degrease everything and shoot the primer, basecoat and clearcoat. pretty straightforward!

xs1961,
2" under DNA springer front end

jimmy,
NOTHING on this bike was a mistake I can tell you that! I have been building it on and off for the past 17 months so I have had plenty of time to plan stuff out. I chose a slight dropseat because I like the heght of the seat and the look of that line you are talking about. different folks see things differently I guess;)
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

calicruiser wrote:
jimmy,
NOTHING on this bike was a mistake I can tell you that! I have been building it on and off for the past 17 months so I have had plenty of time to plan stuff out. I chose a slight dropseat because I like the heght of the seat and the look of that line you are talking about. different folks see things differently I guess;)

OK. I'm looking at it again now and I see that, in order to get your preferred seat height using the line I'm talking about, you'd have to move the seat rearward, which means you'd have to stretch the frame several inches, which also means you'd have to stretch your legs farther forward to get the footpegs, Then there's the turning radius would change, etc.

OK. I get it. I's jist tryin' to make sense of what I'm seeing. Now it makes sense I'm satisfied. Good job. Wisht I had one like it, but RED. Smile Rolling Eyes

Is the engine stock? What are you gonna do for carbs and ignition?
calicruiser

PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: taking apart the engine for paint.

jimmythetrucker wrote:
calicruiser wrote:
jimmy,

OK. I'm looking at it again now and I see that, in order to get your preferred seat height using the line I'm talking about, you'd have to move the seat rearward, which means you'd have to stretch the frame several inches, which also means you'd have to stretch your legs farther forward to get the footpegs, Then there's the turning radius would change, etc.

OK. I get it. I's jist tryin' to make sense of what I'm seeing. Now it makes sense I'm satisfied. Good job. Wisht I had one like it, but RED. Smile Rolling Eyes

Is the engine stock? What are you gonna do for carbs and ignition?

engine is stock, will have aftermarket mikuni carbs. I still have to wire it and it will have a simple ignition switch under the seat.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1