650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Recommend Master Cylinder?

Recommend Master Cylinder?
    Forum Index -> Drive
wade123

PostPosted: June 24, 2006, 12:10 am    Post subject: Recommend Master Cylinder?

I'm in the process of rebuilding the brake caliper and master cylinder on my '82 XS650. I'm also going to replace the brake lines with braided steel.

I'm considering getting a new master cylinder from MikesXS since I replaced the original buckhorn handlebars with Daytona bars, which means the master cylinder brake fluid reservoir tilts downard (ie isn't level). Does this matter? I'm also a little suspicious of whether the reservoir is sealed well, since it is so old.

Unfortunately, MikesXS is out of the 13mm master cylinders and has only the 16mm version. BTW my bike has only one brake rotor.

Do you think the 16mm version will have good feel or might I find brake response too "wooden"?

Thanks!
-Wade
Tomterrific

PostPosted: June 25, 2006, 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend Master Cylinder?

Use a 13mm or smaller. The smaller the master bore, the stronger the brake will be. An 11mm bore master will really be strong with a single disk.

Get your master from Michael Morris at Vintage Brake. He also owns 650 Central www.650central.com/ so you should be able to contact either place. The man knows brakes and he knows XS650s.

Tom Graham
wade123

PostPosted: June 25, 2006, 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend Master Cylinder?

Thanks for the advice Tom!
Tomterrific

PostPosted: June 25, 2006, 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend Master Cylinder?

Use a 13mm or smaller. The smaller the master bore, the stronger the brake will be. An 11mm bore master will really be strong with a single disk.

Get your master from Michael Morris at Vintage Brake. He also owns 650 Central www.650central.com/ so you should be able to contact either place. The man knows brakes and he knows XS650s.

Tom Graham
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 25, 2006, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend Master Cylinder?

Interesting paper from the afore mentioned Michael 'Mercury' Morse on the ratio of master cylinder to brake piston diameter. Too small you will need longer travel but get higher force, too big and short travel with less pressure. It's a balancing act and also personal preference. I am running dual disks with the 13 mm caliper and like the feel. I tried the 850 MC but switched back. It takes a bit more lever travel but the force on the piston is higher.

Vintage Brake website
Photo Gallery
Skogga

PostPosted: October 15, 2006, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend Master Cylinder?

I am using a master from a Kawa Ninja 250, 1/2"-13mm cylinder as indicated on the casting. Very plentiful supply of these if you don't mind the aftermarket looks. Had to trash the leaky-corroded-never-flushed 79-81 POS that came with the bike. Feels much more confident.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1