650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Right cylinder sluggish to fire

Right cylinder sluggish to fire
    Forum Index -> Fuel
englishwheeler

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Right cylinder sluggish to fire

Ok, I'm sure some of you have seen my electrical posts. I have another question that I thought would fit here. I'm attaching a video of the bike running. I hope it works. It sounds great in person once it's warmed up.
However, when it's started cold, the right cylinder doesn't fire up for a little bit I have to spray a little starter fluid in the carb to get it going. It's almost as if it's not getting gas or something. The thing sounds like it has the tinking, or clapping issue too. Then once it's warmed up it sounds and runs great. I'm sure I need to rebuild the carbs, but just wondered if it would/could be something else.

I watched the video and the sound isn't the best. Can't really hear as well as I'd like, but it should pass along the idea.

xsjohn

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Right cylinder sluggish to fire

Tin tops......right carb float bowl choke pinhole could be the starting problem........did I see a blue pipe on the left...........if so that's not good for longivity...could be the pilot circuit no totally clear on that side or floats not set right...actually tin tops are a mess........spent quite a while on that matter before I figured them.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
englishwheeler

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Right cylinder sluggish to fire

so you're saying get some new carbs? I had planned on that in the first place. Seems like 650 central has the best ones.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Right cylinder sluggish to fire

If you don't know the history of the bike, as when the carbs were last cleaned, then its a must do. Get re-build kits, take them apart and clean every tiny orifice with carb cleaner and air pressure. Your bike will start and run like new!

uch cheaper than buying new carbs.
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Right cylinder sluggish to fire

Retiredgentleman wrote:
+1

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Right cylinder sluggish to fire

RG, I have thought about saving these carbs, but I'm not sure about using them with a regular petcock. I am going to make my own gas tank and don't really want to use the vacuum petcock.

I kinda like the look of the round slides better myself. I'll definitely try cleaning them out anyway and see what happens.
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Right cylinder sluggish to fire

Well I wouldn't but any rebuild kits.........Just some jets and my needles.....but I am prejustice.......and have some experience on these tin tops......including balancing out the cylinder temps.....some out there that would argue with me for sure.......I quit worring about them.....

And RG....I was thinking about sending you some needles for your 79......for that gasket and chain...........got Barbara across the mountains with her side car on her 77 ..........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Right cylinder sluggish to fire

englishwheeler does the motor react the same with the airboxes on?
And there isn't anyone that has better handle on these carbs than xsjohn. He is your go to guy.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 20, 2008, 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Right cylinder sluggish to fire

I just recommended a re-build and a good cleaning for the carbs to run as normal. Unfortunately normal for those is very lean. If you want your Tin Tops to run really well, then I agree with Weekendrider..................xsjohn has got the needles on these carbs figured out so your bike runs better that when Yamaha pushed them out the factory door.
John.....................gasket was put in the mail to-day.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1