650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Breather?

Breather?
    Forum Index -> Fuel
Borris

PostPosted: June 21, 2006, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Breather?

OK. Fed Ex arrived with all my parts from Mikes XS today. I got my carbs on my desk putting the new jets in, and my air box is off making room for the pod filters. Now that I'm up to my elbows, what do I do with the breather hose?.....(83 Herritage by the way)
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 21, 2006, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather?

You need vent filters ... look at:
www.650central.com/ look at the page "Air & Vent Filters" ... pretty much describes what you need. They are small filters. You either need 2 of them or ... use a "tee", then you only need one. I'm no expert in which way to go ... but that you get you started
Borris

PostPosted: June 21, 2006, 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather?

Thanks, that makes sense now!

What a difference the jets and pods made. A little tuning and it should work great! I was shocked that it started without the choke! Thats not normal for mine. The idle mixture screws under the brass plug had me baffled. The left carb was set at 1.5 turns. The right was set at .5 turns. Makes no sense to me. I'll play with them more after I get my exhaust sealed up.
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: June 22, 2006, 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Breather?

The crank case breather comes of the top of the rear head, about 3/8" hose. It will require one filter for your set up.
Photo Gallery
Borris

PostPosted: June 22, 2006, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Breather?

This may sound stupid but, can i get creative with a inline fuel filter for a car as a temporary one if I can't find one local?
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 22, 2006, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather?

You could use a standard valve cover breather from any auto parts store.
Photo Gallery
Borris

PostPosted: June 22, 2006, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather?

Thanks for the breather info.

When I ordered my jets, I followed the suggestions on Mikes XS tech tips. For the main jet I ordered 142.5, 145, and 147.5. (original was 132.5) for the pilot I ordered #45 (original was 42.5) The air jet 127.5 where the original was 135?
I can't pull my right plug yet cause I have to put an insert in. (It needed it last year when I bought it) So anyway I put in the 147.5 main, #45 pilot and 127.5 air jet and took her for a short ride. At about 6000 rpm it seems to hit a flat spot and picks up again. Today I fixed my exhaust leaks, and tried the 145 main and put back the 135 air jet. Not as snappy and still a flat spot at about 6000 rpm. Should I put the 147.5 main back in or try the 142.5? I should just put the insert for the plug in and do it the way many here have written right? Basicly I'm looking for which direction to go with the main or to see if anyone else here has found the same problem (flat spot-stutter whatever you want to call it). Forgive me! The last time I played with carbs on a bike was in 1990? On a 1973 Kawasaki, a 3 cyl. 2 cycle. Embarassed
grizld1

PostPosted: June 23, 2006, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather?

Lots of things can cause what you're describing besides main jets. Without being able to run a throttle chop on clean plugs and reading the smoke ring, you're kind of handicapped when it comes to figuring out which way to go, but there are a couple of symptoms that may show up under rolloff. Try running the scoot up to around 5500 in 5th on full throttle, then rolling off gently to around 7/8 throttle. If you're running clean at full throttle and gain power rolling off, you may need a larger main jet. A breakup at around 7/8 can indicate a rich condition.

PostPosted: June 24, 2006, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather?

Thanks for that info! I should have tomorrow of so I'll put the insert into the head and see if I can find some fresh plugs.
Wulf

PostPosted: June 25, 2006, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather?

Damn grizld1, that's great info. I'll be pickin' your brain more in the future.
Wulf

qferret
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 17, 2006, 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Breather?

Ya Wulf.....any excuse to get 'er up to 5500 rpm's in 5th eh? Very Happy
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: July 17, 2006, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather?

Aye!!!!
Wulf

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 21, 2006, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather?

when you say you are putting a insert into the head i assume you mean a heli-coil, set your motor so the exhaust valve is open then put some thick grease on the heli-coil tap to catch the shavings, and blow it out good after tapping with compressed air you don't want metal chips bouncing around inside your combustion chamber, with the exhuast open and blowing thur the sparkplug hole any loose chips will go out the exhaust pipe
blahcap

PostPosted: August 9, 2006, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather?

thanx jimmer i just read this post and i was wondering why i had little clamps on my breather. hopefully 650 centeral calls me back so i can get that filter. also i heard that some harlys use a air filter that has a hose to connect to the beather to filter the air any one know where i can take a look at that on the world wide web.tx
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 11, 2006, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather?

Breather info: I was going crazy with my mixture settings...
I have a 81 xs650 H special with Mikumi 34 stock carbs.
Factors is the breather goes from the heads to a T then into each of the air boxs on the carbs - with 2 vents shooting the oil fumes right into the carbs.

No matter what I tried - my plugs would foul. And idle was erratic.

I rebuilt the carbs.
Factory mix had the screws at 2 out - but it liked to be LEANER - about 1 turn out - even then my plugs were getting all carboned up!

Then I pulled the breather out of the carb box - plugged the stock air box openings for the breather (so dirty air wouldn't bypass the filters)- and put an automotive breather on the breather hose! (keeping it OUT of the carb air box)

What a difference - idles smoother - and the mix is back to 2 out. Peformance went up too!

Turns out the Oil fumes - from the breather were richening up my mixture with the factory set-up and fouling the plugs.

Getting the breather out on it's own - away from carb intakes made a huge difference!

Jim
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1