650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Clubman or drag?

Clubman or drag?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
TeeCat

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Clubman or drag?

Guys, I know there are other threads on this topic, but I didn't want to hijack anyone else's thread.

I have what I'd call Daytona bars on my '73 TX, with center controls and a cafe seat. I like the Daytonas, but I feel that drags or (preferably) clubmans would really complement the bike's appearance.

I'm 5'8", with a 32" inseam, and spent 5 years racing bicycles on the road and track. My other bike is a Ninja 250R with a moderate forward lean.

I was wondering what you all thought about drags and clubmans cosmetically. Also, will this be a straightforward swap with existing cables? I'd imagine there isn't too much aggregate difference.

And will I need new grips? Is this difficult?

Thanks -

TC

Photo Gallery
jralex

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

Teecat, I do like the look of your bike.

I have mounted drag bars on mine. I like the look of the clubmans better but thought they might get a bit uncomfortable and were way the wrong look for the planned alternate tracker look.

The drag bars feel great even with the stock pegs. A bunch better than the stock bars. I plan on fabbing up some mild rearsets that I hope will make the drag bars feel even a bit better.

y bike is a 78. The stock master cylinder is a lot different than yours and so are the forks. With the drag bars I could not rotate the brake like I wanted due to a conflict between the master cylinder and the fork cap. I ended up going with 650 Central upgraded master cylinder, brembo rotor & ss short line. The brake is WAAAAAY better, but I still can't rotate the lever to quite where I want it.

The stock throttle cable works OK, I don't think your stock brake line will work the stock clutch cable will work if you loop it rearward behind the side panel. The grips will depend on whether yours were put on with glue or not. You may be able to work them off with a air nozzle on an air compressor.

You should be able to get drag bars through Mike's or maybe a local shop through Tucker Rocky for about $20. You pull the old bars off with everything still attached and move them out of the way and temp the different bars in the clamps.

Look at some of the pictures in my gallery

Nothing with this mod is hard, just requires some time and a lot of test fitting, removing, modding and reinstalling.

Good luck Wink

TeeCat

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

jr -

Thanks for taking the time to write this.

Between drags and clubmans, I'm leaning toward the latter, largely because I'm trying to capture the cafe presence to the extent possible. I was curious as to why you don't think the stock brake line would work. The PO actually seems to have doubled over the soft part of the line (closest to the MC) behind the right headlight ear, likely because it had to be long enough to accommodate the original (higher) bars. So, I was thinking it would not be a problem for clubmans.

Incidentally... I like your bike!

TC
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

if you re-route cables they will work, on my Ducati i went to clubmans and re-routed them and it all worked with stock length cables.
XSDAD

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

Hi TeeCat,
I got the clubman bars from MikesXS, love them. Put them on my '83. I haven't had to chagne any lines at all, I did change the grips but not because I had to.

I got the "padded" grips from MikesXs, the ones with the chrome on the ends, they looked good in the picture. I would not recommend them, at all, ever. They are HUGE.

But the Clubman bars rock... but I never put drags on so couldn't compare.

Good luck. Love the bike.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

Hi TC, If you have a compressor,it's easy to fit & remove grips. All you do is with a blower piece, blow up the grip on the inside end (the end with the big hole) as you slide them on / off.
If your grips twist or slide off on you, remove them and clean bars/throttle as well as inside the grips with a little laquer thinners then quickly reassemble. They stick like glue then usualy!

TeeCat

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

Meh, guys... I have holes in the other ends of my grips too, because I have Napoleon bar-end mirrors. Sad I might have to get new grips, I suppose.
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

Nah, it'll stil work, mine got big holes on the outer too, no dramas!
TeeCat

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

Okay, you lot... ordered the clubmans from Mike's, as well as a pair of tourismo grips in case I have a "moment", if you get me.

I plan to mount mine like scotts has his. Honestly, I don't anticipate too much difference in terms of controls placement compared to the Daytonas I have now. I hope this is pretty much a straight-up swap.

TC
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

I say go for the clubmans. And they will work with the stock cables. I got mine off of ebay, because I did not like the ones MikesXS had to offer.

TeeCat

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

MN, I like the way your bike's coming along. I got the bars from Mike's because I plan to not have quite as severe a drop as yours. I expect they'll be a lot like the Daytonas, but with a bit more rearward "sweep". And they're more adjustable than drag bars, so it hopefully will work out.
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

Good deal on the Clubmans. Can't wait to see em. The clubmans totally changed the look and feel of my TX. I should have some new pics of my bike after this weekend. Hoping to spend a little time wrenchin.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

These are the ones I bought...just in case

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...ccessories
jralex

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

T,
Thanks for the compliment on the bike. Hopefully after the winter I will have some pictures of a totally different looking bike.

I think the clubmans capture the cafe look perfect. For the riding position I just didn't want as severe a drop. They will be great on your bike.

As for the brake line, on my 78 the combination of the master cylinder and banjo bolt connection to the brake line presented an intereference problem with the top of the fork/top triple clamp/gauge cluster area when I rotated the master to where I wanted the lever...and, I didn't like the brake line all looped around.

Show us some pic's when you get the clubmans mounted.

TeeCat

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

jr... on my '73, I have that tiny little round master cylinder, and because my bars will be mounted a bit higher, like scotts' are, I think the difference for me will be more cosmetic than anything. So I hope there'll be no problems.

The bars are scheduled to arrive on Friday, so maybe I'll be able to do the swap this weekend.

I suppose I'll remove the existing grips first, loosen the controls and existing bars and move them out of the way... then mock up the clubmans and move the controls... I hope... *cries*
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

It took me maybe a half hour - hour start to finish to mount my Clubmans and bar end mirrors. Easy
TeeCat

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

But MN... I can f*ck up a wet dream dream, if I put my mind to it... Razz

Wish me luck! If anything goes wrong, you'll see it on CNN! Razz
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

LOL!!
jralex

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

IMO you mock up idea sounds like the ticket. If you don't want the bike out of commission, I would suggest waiting on removing the grips until after you are pretty sure everything will work.

Good Luck!

TeeCat

PostPosted: November 22, 2008, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

Well... we did it. Right up front, thanks to all who encouraged and helped me with this bar swap.

This bike has gradually been headed in the "mild cafe" direction in the year since I got it running. As much as I like Daytona bars, the bike just really wanted clubmans/cafes to push that look along, so I bit the bullet, and for $35 and grips, it was hard to make a cogent argument against this move.

I proceeded slowly and deliberately; the swap took me about two hours. I'm just really careful and slow. I had no problems to speak of, and as far as I can tell, the carb sinc and clutch adjustment have not been affected... that was my biggest worry.

I like these bars because they are the best balance of aggressive cafe and fast tourer that I have seen. And in spite of the fact that I have not got rearsets yet, I think the bike can accurately be described as a mild cafe or cafe roadster.

I had to cut the left grip off, but I had a new set. I still have to change the right one because the pattern is almost identical, but not quite.

I have to take her out for a spin, but it was too cold today. I'll get her out for a roll with the new bars and update you all then, in case you're interested. But I think everything's working out as near as I can tell.

TC

Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 22, 2008, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

Your bike is looking real sweet! Bars suit the bike style.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: November 22, 2008, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

Thanks, RG! Smile She's coming along, I must say. Smile The bars are not too severe, but the cafe influence in her appearance is undeniable to the initiated observer, I feel.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 22, 2008, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

You'll make the EX jealous!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Gmaan
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Clubman or drag?

I like your motor, what coating/paint did you use?
1974 Kawasaki H1 500 triple (MY BABY)
1975 Yamaha TX 650 (just need paint)

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2