650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Transmission questions

Transmission questions
    Forum Index -> Drive
kontraband

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Transmission questions

Hello, I'm hoping you can help me out:

- the clutch handle is extremely stiff. How can I fix that?

- the bike jumps forward when switching from neutral to first. Is this normal?

Bike is an 83 Heritage Special.

Thank you.

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission questions

On the left hand case, there's a circular hole cover that you can pop off, the clutch is adjusted from there. You'll need a wrench to hold the nut while you use a phillips screwdriver to turn the screw in all the way and then back it up about 1/4 of a turn. I had the same problem with my '83.

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission questions

XSDAD wrote:
On the left hand case, there's a circular hole cover that you can pop off, the clutch is adjusted from there. You'll need a wrench to hold the nut while you use a phillips screwdriver to turn the screw in all the way and then back it up about 1/4 of a turn. I had the same problem with my '83.

Sounds straightforward, I'll try it when I get back tonight.

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission questions

check out this site, good info:
650wiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission questions

Several things to check on:
Remove the left side engine cover. Disconnect the clutch cable. Remove the clutch worm gear mechanism, clean it, look for any cracks or damage in the nylon screw. If no damage, re-grease it with lots of grease.
Check that the routing of the clutch cable has no sharp bends. Does the cable move freely in the sheath? Lubricate the cable.............I have found that a lubricant with graphite in it works well, but others just use motor oil.
With the worm gear and side cover re-installed, adjust the clutch at the side cover. Adjust the clutch cable at the lever so that there is free play; unlock the nut, and turn the screw in until it bottoms then back out 1/8 turn, re-lock with the nut.. Now adjust at the lever so that there is a small amount of free play.
This may help, if not others will have some ideas.
Photo Gallery
kontraband

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission questions

Retiredgentleman wrote:
Several things to check on:
Remove the left side engine cover. Disconnect the clutch cable. Remove the clutch worm gear mechanism, clean it, look for any cracks or damage in the nylon screw. If no damage, re-grease it with lots of grease.
Check that the routing of the clutch cable has no sharp bends. Does the cable move freely in the sheath? Lubricate the cable.............I have found that a lubricant with graphite in it works well, but others just use motor oil.
With the worm gear and side cover re-installed, adjust the clutch at the side cover. Adjust the clutch cable at the lever so that there is free play; unlock the nut, and turn the screw in until it bottoms then back out 1/8 turn, re-lock with the nut.. Now adjust at the lever so that there is a small amount of free play.
This may help, if not others will have some ideas.

Thank you for the information.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission questions

Pay attention to position of the arm on the push rod cam when you take it apart. It will make it easier when you go back togather.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1