650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 16, 2006, 12:32 pm    Post subject: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

Just curious to know if I'm the only fool putting every penny I don't have into my bike.

I'm only at $2K now, but it looks like it will be just shy of 6 when I foresee completion. I know I can buy a new bike for that much, but if I bought a new bike I'd be putting money into it to customize it anyway. Plus I'd wince at cutting brackets off an expensive new bike frame. I think I've seen guys in magazines with $20K+ in their hayabusas.

So is $6K so bad for a better than new cafe racer? Please post what you think.
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: June 16, 2006, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

Hey guy. Wow! 6k is a bit o change there. Yes it is cheaper than a new bike, but I'm curious about where all that is going. Could ya give us a breakdown on it?
Wulf

Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 16, 2006, 4:40 pm    Post subject: The breakdown

Well as I said It will be a better than new bike when I'm finished. The easiest way to brake it down is to say I'm replacing or modifying every component on the bike.

Starting from the front...
$300 - Complete rebuild of forks: springs, seals, billet fork brace, air shock conversion, etc.
$1500 - Front and rear wheels: 18" aluminum rims with stainless spokes from Buchanan's, wave disk brakes, rebuilt calipers, Avon Supervenom tires
$300 - Controls: clip-ons with Honda VFR levers, stainless brake & clutch lines, internal throttle, bar end mirror, steering damper
$250 - 1966 Yamaha YA6 tank with Earl's stainless fuel lines. (I bought this a while ago for a Virago chopper project yet to be completed.)
$1000 - Engine mods: VFR hydraulic clutch mod, spin-on oil filter, high volume oil pump, 36mm Mikuni VM carbs, X-pipe exhaust
$800 - Rear End: braced and 1.5" extended swingarm, front wheel to rear conversion kit, bronze bushings, 14" shocks, rear disk brake components
$250 - Powdercoated frame & swingarm
$300 - Hand made fiberglass cafe tail, leather seat, strobing LED cat's eye tail light, Ducati Monster turnsignals (the cool special order aluminum ones)
$800 - Initial bike cost

These are rounded off numbers from the spreadsheet I have of all the parts'n'stuff I'm puttin into the bike. It only totals $5500 but I didn't list little bits here and there, and the engine stand I just bought. I'll probably do a bottom up rebuild on the engine too. That will be at least $500.
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 16, 2006, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

That's quite a list. Keeping it a 650? I have a set of Tommaselli clip ons that are period correct bought in 1976 for my R90S Beemer. When you are at that point give me a call if you are interested. This bike sounds like it is worthy.

Last edited by kingwj on June 16, 2006, 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 16, 2006, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Back on subject

Those are pretty nice, but the ones I have will allow me to use my custom machined tubes for an internal throttle.

Back to the question...

What is everybody else spending on their bikes?
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 16, 2006, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

I bought mine for $1000. Stone stock 79. Put around 100 into NOS chrome bits. I had it repainted for 225 and the original decals put another 60 on the tab. Dual disk setup added about $50. Next is new head pipes for 180. I recently learned on my last oil change the cam chain guides are coming apart so the motor will be coming out. At that point I may have the frame blasted and powder coated. I am absolutely happy with the stock bike and although a bit more power would be nice I don't think I can justify the expense of 750 kit, cam and carbs.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 16, 2006, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

You forgot the $50 your going to spend on redwings.
I'm contemplating a rephased 750 for next year. Yeah, another $1250!
Photo Gallery
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 16, 2006, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

I already paid for the shocks. They should be waiting for me when I get home from Sweden! I also forgot the battery for $29. I have sticker shock thinking about 6000 into a XS650, especially when your list makes it look so easy to spend that kind of money. I paid $3430 for my new BMW R90S in 1974 and still base all my pricing thoughts on that bike. I look on Ebay from time to time for an R90 and they are going for like 9 grand in very good condition. Interesting thing inflation.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 16, 2006, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

Yeah, I ponyed up $60 for a sealed battery from Mikes so I could lay it on it's side inside the tail.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: June 29, 2006, 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

Don't even want to add up what I have in my scoot; and what's the point of that, after all? In my budget, the bikes are listed as "Entertainment," and I don't get those items mixed up with the ones listed as investments. I put a couple thousand a year into the hobby, and unlike most of the stuff folks do for fun, there's something to show for it when I'm done.

Sounds like you have a good plan going, but have you checked out RaceTech emulator valves? I installed them in my XS650 and my SV650 Zook a couple of years ago, and they perform as advertised--way better damping response than the old Minton mods.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 29, 2006, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

I just looked into them. I'll add those to my list too. At only $160 why not?
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

Why not indeed? For what they do the emulator valves are dirt cheap. Noticed you were converting the rear to disk brake and evidently moving a front hub to the rear to accomplish that. I assume you're doing that to cut unsprung weight, since the rear drum unit does an adequate job. What kind of weight reduction do you anticipate?
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

I have no idea. I actually got a deal on the braced swing arm that was for a disk brake wheel. I'm just dead set on having wire wheels and unfortunately Yamaha did not make a rear wire wheel with a disk.
Photo Gallery
Fuzzy

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Back on subject

Cafe_Shop wrote:
Those are pretty nice, but the ones I have will allow me to use my custom machined tubes for an internal throttle.

Back to the question...

What is everybody else spending on their bikes?

Hmmm.... I don't even dare to add it all up, and I'm just in the planning stage...
aybe it has something to do with me living in the most expensive country in the world when it comes to anything with an engine in it?

I can't wait to see some pics of your bike Cafe_shop!
--Fuzzy
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

You might be able to save a few bucks, C_Shop. If that swingarm's set up for the stock disk brake wheel you can fit a stock spoked drum brake wheel in it; running a stay for the drum brake's no big deal, and if your frame doesn't have a pivot for the brake rod actuator arm, that's easy too.
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

Cafe_Shop wrote:
Yeah, I ponyed up $60 for a sealed battery from Mikes so I could lay it on it's side inside the tail.

Is it the same physical size as the original battery or smaller?

Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

To be honest, I don't know. When I bought the bike it did not have a battery. I don't know if it would fit in the battery cage or not. The cage was one of the first things i got rid of when I striped my bike. I would check with heymeng. The battery on his cafe looks pretty small.
Photo Gallery
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

Any chance of getting some measurements? I'm in process of building a chopper frame and need to fashion a battery box / holder of some kind. I was looking at running a smaller lead / acid but was concerned about having enough cranking power for the electric start.
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

130mm x 85mm x 160mm or about 5.12" x 3.25" x 6.3"
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: June 30, 2006, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

I'm running the AGM (Absorbant Glass Matt) sealed battery in mine and yes it is the stock battery size. 50-60 bucks is about average for one. One of the biggest advantages to this type of battery is that it is precharged right out of the box, has a shelf life of 3 years in the box. It will only lose about 1-3% of charge per month just sitting in the bike as opposed to about 15% loss of charge per month on a lead acid battery. So if you're not inclined to start your bike to keep the battery charged or keep a trickle charger on regularly during those long winter months then the AGM is the best way to go. Actually imho it's the best way to go regardless of the circumstances and the few dollars more in initial cost will save you money and time in the long run.
Wulf

mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: July 1, 2006, 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

Cafe_Shop wrote:
130mm x 85mm x 160mm or about 5.12" x 3.25" x 6.3"

Thanks Cafe_Shop, Wulf

Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 8, 2006, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

grizld1 wrote:
You might be able to save a few bucks, C_Shop. If that swingarm's set up for the stock disk brake wheel you can fit a stock spoked drum brake wheel in it; running a stay for the drum brake's no big deal, and if your frame doesn't have a pivot for the brake rod actuator arm, that's easy too.

Well, I'm taking your advice. Turns out it'll save me about a grand in parts / mods to stick with a drum brake. Thanks.
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 3, 2006, 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: How much cash are you going to dump in that thing?

AND I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY CRAZY ONE.
I had the bright Idea, to sell my nice reliable ride a 1982 yamaha virago 11,00 miles burned a little oil but alway started (with that virago grind) and off I went to by a frame. I have always been wanting a cafe racer, since I can remember seeing my first race up in New Hampshire back in the late 80's.
My cousin said by one we can build it up, cheep. Right there I should have said "NO". Well It has been almost 8 months since I got my titled 1973 TX650 frame from Oklahoma for $175 and a bottle of Jack. I have to put in a side note that my cousin does work part time for a motorcycle salvage guy. So having said that, I have been able to try out different parts and see what works without much effort. I should think I am only $650 and 2 bottles of Jack into this project I have a rolling frame with a honda cd550 tank stock rear mount from a 79 donor bike( tank was crushed). a tx750 seatpan cut down and fit to the frame. and a front fender of a 76 gs500 looks very nice. A set of fj1200 1983 full floating front rotors, they are exact dimentions of stock rotos for my 73, I have an engine from a 79 donor, still need to rebuild. I am running the swing arm from the 79, it's 2 inches longer than the 73 I figure with my 13.5 inch set of shocks and bronze bushings she will handle better.
When I started this project the guy I bought my virago from said I have an old 79 650 frame,engine swing arm you want it. I am one not to hack apart a good bike just for parts but, if someone already has gone through the trouble to do so I will scavange. I never realized how addictive this would become. I am new here so just wanted to throuw in my two cents. I will hopefully post a few pics along the way and ask a lot of questions I am sure of that.

Cheers Kyle

P.S. a couple of good guys I have come across in my 8 months wise guy choppers in washington state. Pete Kommer xs Spare Garage in Australia. loudfastugly.com in New York.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1