650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > A Few Small Things

A Few Small Things
    Forum Index -> Engine
tuffbuilt

PostPosted: November 6, 2008, 12:47 am    Post subject: A Few Small Things

Guys, I need some advise. I have a small oil leak around the bottom of my jugs. I have seen a lot of stuff about copper washers on the head studs on here and wonder if this will help me. I rode 100 miles today and I could tell I was losing some oil during the ride and when I got home it dripped some, not a lot but some. What is the crusing RPM on these engines? I don't want to harm my engine, so I need to ask. I have a 81 650 special 2. Love my bike I just got it reciently and have a lot to learn about how to care for her. Also with the copper washers do I have to break down the bottom end to install them? This bike sat since 94 do ya'll think it may seal up on it's own? Thanks for all your help in the articles I have read. Later!!!!
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 6, 2008, 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: A Few Small Things

cruising rpm depends on your gearing I run 17/31 sprockets and it turn 4200 at 65mph, stock gearing 17/34 would turn about 4500 at 65, the copper washers are are better than the stock washers that have rubber in them but with a oil leak at the bottom of the jugs all you can do is re-torque the head acorn nuts (to 30 ft-lbs.) and hope it seals up, no you don't have to do any thing to the lower end but you will need to remove the gas tank and top motor mount to properly torque the head bolts (use a crossing pattern)
5twins

PostPosted: November 6, 2008, 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: A Few Small Things

What appears to be a base gasket leak may not be. Sometimes the leak is from the cam chain adjuster dome nut. It has an o-ring on it that seals it and that may need replacing. The oil runs down and appears to be coming from the base gasket.

The copper washers should go on the 4 outside acorn nuts only, replacing the original rubber/metal ones. Leave the original thick metal washers on the 4 inner acorn nuts.
tuffbuilt

PostPosted: November 6, 2008, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Few Small Things

Thanks a bunch guys. I will get on this as soon as time allows and let you know how I come out with it. Thanks again!

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1