650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > restoring side case finish

restoring side case finish
    Forum Index -> Engine
scalejockey

PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 9:20 am    Post subject: restoring side case finish

Ok iv'e just picked up a SWEET 75 xs650,with 7000 on the clock, and it's going to get the "restore" treatment. I'm going to use por-15 clear coat on the side cases,but the problem is how do you get the old clear coat off.In the past bike "redos" iv'e just taken a wire wheel to them but the it dosn't look so good.
How has everyone finished off their cases?

5twins

PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: restoring side case finish

I use paint stripper to remove the old clear coat, then sand, buff, polish, etc. I don't re-coat with anything because I don't want the same corrosion thing happening again. Once the clear coat chips in spots, the corrosion starts growing under it. You can't clean it off unless you strip the whole thing again.
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: restoring side case finish

I am with 5twins on the refinishing with clear coat.......did my fork legs ....spent a lot of time on them including changing the seals........used clear wheel clear coat.......now the seals leak and the clear coat I put on the left engine case is coming off.....even baked on the clear.......wish I had never dicked with it.......the right case that I didn't clear coat looks way better that the others ...big ass waste of time for me plus the fork seals are still leaking and I have already changed them once......they didn't leak any before....wish I had just polished them.....grrrrr..

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Skip

PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: restoring side case finish

I agree guys! I found that once the clear coat is off the alunimun,either 600 grit wet paper or a 3M or Norton synthetic steel wool pad with soapy water works great. Once you have it polished, cleaning is a breeze with Auto-sol paste. Keep them bare alunimun so no corrosion can get trapped like it did under the clear coat!
Please check out my wifes web site!
www.dlgcreations.com
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: restoring side case finish

Here's a before and after shot from when I was first fixing mine up. One cover done, one to go. Also, the used later cover I got off eBay. It received the same treatment (stripper, sanding, polishing). I kept the stripper away from the "YAMAHA" lettering so as not to remove the original black lettering paint. Eventually, I did all the alloy parts on the bike like this (valve covers, wheel rims, fork legs, rear brake plate).
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring side case finish

Hey John, don't let those leaking fork seals get the better of you. I'm sure you didn't do what I did. When mine were leaking, I carefully changed out the seals, only to have them leaking worse. Man, was I bummed out,because, as you know, removing those seals is a real pain. l found out that I had them in up-side down Embarassed . Second time, I installed the "All Balls" Triple Lip Seals from 650central, and they work great. I put 7 oz. (203 cc) of 15W40 diesal oil into each fork, and forks are much firmer now, and makes for a better ride. 10W oil is too thin.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring side case finish

"""""""Hey John, don't let those leaking fork seals get the better of you."""""

They already have......round three comming up.......dag nab it......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
scalejockey

PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring side case finish

Thanks everyone! that will save me $$ not buying the clear coat.Sounds like industrial stripper will get the old stuff off(gee,happen to have a can on the shelf)
Pulled the motor out of the frame today,after a good cleaning. I'm still amazed on the condition! The little yellow paint mark could still be seen on the brake caliber bolt AND the master link!
It's turning out to be a good trade.For a 40 dollar basket case 125(restored) to this.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1