650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > who's got a loud and low exhaust......

who's got a loud and low exhaust......
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
jdallen

PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 12:22 am    Post subject: who's got a loud and low exhaust......

My bike has mikesxs ascot exhaust on it. At first I liked it, but as I ride it more and more I don't really like the sound. It reminds me of a dirt bike. Sort of a loud, obnoxious mid range sound. Drives me crazy on the highway. Plus I don't like them both on one side. I can run it richer and the sound gets deeper, but then I get stumbling spots in some rpm's.......I want a deeper sound, pipe on each side (maybe I can use the center stand again) and still kinda loud.

Anybody out there have pipes that fit this description? What are they and where did you get them?
gs1327
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: who's got a loud and low exhaust......

I have the ascot system as well and I hated the sound. Just sounded cheap.
I got a pair of harley dyna?? mufflers on ebay for next to nothing. They sound much better, almost too quiet but MUCH easier to live with. I'll try to get some pictures in a day or 2. Of course this still leaves both on one side.

PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: who's got a loud and low exhaust......

I have Mike's Commando mufflers and like them. Louder than the fixed baffle Dunstall replicas I had before, but not too loud .....

650 fall 08-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.36 KB
 Viewed:  410 Time(s)

650 fall 08-2.jpg

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: who's got a loud and low exhaust......

I use Triumph bonneville or BSA A65 items , no restrictive baffles just a 'resonator' tube,nice deep burble, not harsh..Look great !

tri-pipes...jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.64 KB
 Viewed:  312 Time(s)

tri-pipes...jpg

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
gs1327
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 12, 2008, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: who's got a loud and low exhaust......

Heres the harley Dyna mufflers on the Ascot pipes.
Had to cut a little off the head pipes, and use emgo muffler reducers(part 80-47310) and make a new hanger (3/16 x 1" steel with some holes drilled in it.)

PostPosted: October 12, 2008, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: who's got a loud and low exhaust......

Man, those all look good! Those Dyna's are different.....looks sharp. I'm leaning towards the triumph mufflers or Omar's manx hooligans. I like the looks, but don't know how they sound.....
sideburns

PostPosted: February 27, 2009, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: who's got a loud and low exhaust......

xs1961 wrote:
I use Triumph bonneville or BSA A65 items , no restrictive baffles just a 'resonator' tube,nice deep burble, not harsh..Look great !
Sounds like a good choice. I love the sound of old brit iron. Will Bonneville/A65 mufflers fit original headpipes ? My bike has a 2-2 conical Commandolook BSM-exhaust www.biker.net/exhaust/...nical.jpg.

It's ok but I would prefer a deeper sound. You wouldn't incidentally have a burble sound clip ?

Regards
David, Norway
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 27, 2009, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: who's got a loud and low exhaust......

These all have a 1 1/2" internal diameter..too narrow for 'standard' downpipes..Best to get a set of replacement pipes as the original Yamaha pipes are restricted by being double-skinned - the inner is approx. 1 1/4 I.D. ! ..
I'll see if I can upload the sound to Youtube this weekend..

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
gggGary

PostPosted: February 27, 2009, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: who's got a loud and low exhaust......

Hers a different option I just ran into, this was dated 1-19-09
Brian
You got your wish! I work for BUB Enterprises and we are making a limited production run of our 2 into 2 system for the Yamaha XS 650. Anyone who is interested a set of these pipes can contact BUB Enterprises at 530-477-7490 for more information.
Regards
Robert
woodman

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: who's got a loud and low exhaust......

Already did, they put your name on a contact list should they ever decide to start making them again. Take the Dyna mufflers and find a hole saw that fits the diameter on the weld inside the back of the pipe and drill it out, The take a long rod and knock the baffle out. What you will have is a very mellow sounding muffler kind of like a glass pack sound on a car. I have a set like that I did for my Fatboy. They will look compltely stock on the outside and run a whole lot better plus sound really good. Not a loud obnoxious good but a deep mellow tone.

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1