650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > Chrome exhaust......what pretty colors... painting crome?

Chrome exhaust......what pretty colors... painting crome?
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
jdallen

PostPosted: October 8, 2008, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Chrome exhaust......what pretty colors... painting crome?

OK, so which is it, I've read both ways. Does a chrome exhaust turn gold when rich or lean? Some discoloring is normal right. These probably aren't double walled, they are MIkesxs ascot system.

another question, anybody have some success stories about sanding off and then painting some chrome pipes. I like the look of black pipes, but don't like the price! I've been thinking about a winter snowy day project. can you ceramic coat them?
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 8, 2008, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome exhaust......what pretty colors... painting crom

Discolouration will be worse on a 'rich' running motor, pipes turn gold/blue more due to rich 'unburnt' gasses still 'burning' after leaving the combustion chamber - Lower quality chrome or pipes that did not recieve a copper coating before chroming may discolour more rapidly than high quality triple-plated items ...
I reckon they look great purple/blue/yellow !

pipes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.5 KB
 Viewed:  287 Time(s)

pipes.jpg

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
jdallen

PostPosted: October 8, 2008, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome exhaust......what pretty colors... painting crom

xs1961, explain to me what you did with your oil cooler there.... I like the idea of having one. The oil delivery pipe is eliminated and where are the 2 tubes going? which one's input, which output?

y pipes are just gold, very little blue. I think this is just normal with cheap chrome. My plugs don't really indicate lean.

I'm definitely gonna black 'em out. The previous owner powder coated the frame and I guess painted the engine, side covers all black. I added black mirrors, now it just needs a black exhaust and painting the fork legs black. I like Omar's Hooligan exhaust, but for now I may just ceramic coat the ascots......
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 9, 2008, 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome exhaust......what pretty colors... painting crom

I'll post my oil-cooler conversion pics later in the 'engine' section for you mate..
ake sure you bead-blast those pipes before applying the heat-resistant paint. Wink

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1