650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > 1977 XS500 Cafe Project

1977 XS500 Cafe Project
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
darmstro

PostPosted: September 24, 2008, 6:39 pm    Post subject: 1977 XS500 Cafe Project

Well, the 1977 XS500 that I bought a couple months ago has become a more involved project than first planned. It's getting a full teardown and custom cafe restoration.

Here's the start of my teardown/build.
Spare/removed parts

Got it down to this in a couple hours,

And this is where I was at a day later,

And for reference, this is what it looked like when I brought it home

The plans for the winter so far,

-ice blast the frame and wheels
-paint the wheels and frame black, red lip on the wheels
-paint the engine black, polished side and top covers
-clubman bars
-new wiring harness
-new tires
-complete carb rebuild
-install new headlight and front/rear signals
-solo seat
-polish the tank, paint the side covers black
-install twin pod filters
-bar end mirrors
-new horn/signal/lights/starter controls
-new master cylinders
-caliper rebuild
gentlemanjim

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 XS500 Cafe Project

Nice job. I like those 8 valve 500's They wern't around long.
Photo Gallery
XSDAD

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 XS500 Cafe Project

I just installed the clubman bars that Mike's XS supplies, they're awesome, you'll love them.

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 XS500 Cafe Project

That's an awesome looking bike to begin with. I think I'd just clean it up and slap on some Clubmans.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 XS500 Cafe Project

I like those 500s. Here is a 78 for sale locally to me. I would buy one for my son as a starter if I could find one priced right for me.
kansascity.craigslist....72633.html

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
darmstro

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 XS500 Cafe Project

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just stripped the paint off the tank and started polishing it. I also started removing all the unneeded bracketry and I've been busy with the sandblaster, have most of the small parts ready for paint and/or polish.

I'm still waiting on my cousin to have some extra ice left over to blast my frame and wheels. Can't quite fit them in the cabinet Razz

PS: the factory paint is some tough stuff!
darmstro

PostPosted: October 28, 2008, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 XS500 Cafe Project

Well, I've got the bike stripped to the bare frame, chopped off a good chunk of the rear, got some more brackets removed, got some more polishing done on the tank, got my seat cowl and pan 1/2 done (needs to be welded together and reinforced), and a ordered a shyte load of more parts, including my clubmans from Mikesxs.

Rear of the spare tank cut off and mocked up

Final seat cowl shape cut and set in place

Seat cowl and start of the seat pan cut and sitting in place

I'm unsure of the polished tank now. I like it, but it's a bit flashy for what I want. I found some "black chrome" paint that looks pretty nice and will give it a more stealthy look. I'm also gonna get the frame blasted and powder coated in a copper colour. I found a local place that does good work for a fair price.

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1