650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > Carb confession

Carb confession
    Forum Index -> Fuel
sparklow

PostPosted: September 2, 2008, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Carb confession

How many times you clean your carbs before your bike ran right? I have owned a lot of old bikes but never have I had to clean a set of carbs more than twice - until now that is. These BS38s are something else, I really thought I had 'em squeeky clean last time but I quess not. The diaphrams are not ripped but this bike sat for years, probably from approx. 1984 until 2005 and obviously this did the carbs no good. A nice set of new roundslides would solve the issue (for more money than I want to throw at it) but I am stubborn. I may soak them all winter! Thanks for reading, I needed to vent.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 2, 2008, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb confession

Did you probe the 3 holes in the throat with a guitar string and blow cleaner through the mix screw hole holding a finger next to the spray nozel to help pressurize the fluid in the pilot cavity............to push out any crud in that circuit........I had to bend the nozel on the spray and put it over he holes and blow backwards a few time to clear one of my stored carbs.........probing again with guitar string........guess some pieces of crap were in that circuit and became dislodged to plug the holes again.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 2, 2008, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb confession

Air compressor - air nozzle with a length of flexible rubber hose works great to blow out small stuff at wierd angles.
Just take out the diaphrams out - so you don't blow a hole in them.

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
sparklow

PostPosted: September 2, 2008, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb confession

Thanks for your replys xsjohn and jimdi. I blew out all the passages last time I had the carbs off the bike. I used one of those compressed air in a can deals that you use to clean computers as I don't have an air compressor. I do have a question about the guitar string advice though, what size string to buy? I assume I just go to a music store for this?
Photo Gallery
xackley

PostPosted: September 2, 2008, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb confession

high e, string 1, around .01 inches.

Also spend $8 on a can of seafoam at the automotive store. use an ounce per gallon. Run 2 or 3 tanks through. If your carbs are close to clean, the seafoam might finish the job.

weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 2, 2008, 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb confession

Go to the music store and ask if they have any trimmed ends left from a restringing. They usually have some in the trash can.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1