650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

The Harley guys stopped waving to me...
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
killer

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 8:15 pm    Post subject: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

Before... 4" risers, big 70's sissy bar, highway pegs.

After... negative handle bar rise, cafe fairing, wrapped exhaust headers, LOUD pipes.

Now why do you suppose they stopped waving? Twisted Evil

1979 XS650 2F0
killtrip

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

I dunno.. the purse isn't new.. couldn't be that.. Razz

PostPosted: August 26, 2008, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

I wish these these guys would stop waving at me. your on a bike I'm on a bike, doesn't mean we got to wave and say hi. s*** bro

PostPosted: August 27, 2008, 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

where did ya get that fairing? me likey
killer

PostPosted: August 27, 2008, 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

The fairing is a MotoAsia from JC Whitney. Its pretty cheap, but it fit up without too much modification. Vibrates like crazy.

Yeah doesn't really bother me that the H-D guys stopped waving, I just thought it was funny. I pass the same guys on the way to work everyday. The day the fairing went on, no one offered the wave.

1979 XS650 2F0
metalredneck

PostPosted: August 27, 2008, 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

They don't wave because most HD riders nowadays are all newbies, scared shitless they'll lose control if they lift a mitt. Any rider with a shred of dignity... I best stop before I go into full rant. Evil or Very Mad
BigGeorge

PostPosted: August 27, 2008, 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

I ride both HD and xs650. I also belong to HD sites where the entire thread is devoted to "should you wave to riders of non HD or not" What a bunch of A-holes. These are the same guys who spend $150 on a billet mirror and think that because they put it on themself that they are now HD mechanics. Most of these same people couldn't tell you where the oil fill plug is or how much air to put in the tires. This site is a refreshing change from all that crap and the reason I come here often.
By the way Killer I like the cafe look you created...............BG

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 27, 2008, 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

BigGeorge; Its refreshing to hear from a guy that rides both Yami and HD. I've talked to a few of those HD guys, and yeah they have narrow view points and seem to be uninformed about the technical side of their bikes. I was at a bike gathering a while back and I saw this real nice harley chopper parked. It was obvious that the owner had recently put too much chain lube on, as it had been flung onto the back wheel and tire and looked messy. A guy with a regular harley (belt drive) who's also looking at the chopper, says to me, "Nice bike, but the guys got a bad oil leak on his hands". I guess the guy had never oiled a chain before Shocked
Photo Gallery
eb_xs

PostPosted: August 27, 2008, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

my cousin rides a harley fxr superglide. he's one of the guys who actually knows a few things though and will return your wave. we often go riding together and the funny thing is, when we're parked, more people will come up and ask me about my xs than his hd.
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: August 27, 2008, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

Hey guys and gals ya want another good laugh? I found a thread on one of the HD sites where some moron wanted to know what is the correct
way to wave at another motorcyclist.............and 20 other morons actually answered his question and got into a heated name calling discussion over it..............They ride among us.................BG
killer

PostPosted: August 27, 2008, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

OK, I generated a good bit of OT discussion with my comment in jest about the H-D guys.

Anyone think I should pursue rear sets? Its not uncomfortable the way it is, but I was thinking rear sets would be a nice touch. Maybe an XJ foot controls conversion? The problem is I need to clear the shorty mufflers... and my feet could drag if I don't make the controls high enough. I did scrape a toe on the ground with my feet on the passenger pegs during an aggressive turn.

1979 XS650 2F0
killer

PostPosted: September 4, 2008, 7:46 am    Post subject: Rat Cafe is nearly done

I tried an exhaust modification on the way to work this morning. Those shorty megaphone mufflers I got from JC Whitney are little more than glasspacks, with no real baffle. They were so frickin' loud I got a headache from listening to them. Sure it was cool to use my exhaust noise as a warning to idiots on the road... but I just couldn't take it anymore. (The neighbors didn't like it at 6am either.)

I took some stainless steel sheet metal and punched three holes in it a little greater in cross sectional area to the original stock exhaust outlet. Then I pulled the cap off the muffler and welded the stainless diffuser plate I made into the end of the muffler cap. Oh its so much quieter. I actually found myself driving faster too because I didn't mind revving the engine a little higher. All the nasty popping has been eliminated when I let off the gas, and the whole sound of the bike changed to a nice low grumble. Oh yeah.

Its so nice now I might actually consider washing it again this year.

1979 XS650 2F0
twowheelinjim

PostPosted: October 14, 2008, 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

I mostly ride my 61' panhead. You guys have it all wrong. It's all those jackasses on scooters that are too proud to wave. they think they are all that, and a bag of chips....
killer

PostPosted: October 14, 2008, 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

*chuckle* Either that or the new scooter generation is too petrified to take their hands off the controls. "Oooo, we're getting 100mpg at 45mph, gosh that's fast! And that creepy guy with the anarchy patch waving to me is creating NOISE pollution."

Seriously, I like H-D's (Especially a classic like a '61 panhead.) I live in the city that makes them... its almost a requirement.

1979 XS650 2F0
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 14, 2008, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

O.K.,KIDDIE'S,PLAY NICE.I ALSO GOT 2 H.D.S',USE THE XS ALOT MORE,IT'S FASTER AROUND TOWN,EASIER TO PARK ,& STILL THERE WHEN I COME OUT.LOT BETTER MILAGE ALSO,'BOUT 50-55 MPG.I WAVE TO EVERYONE ON A BIKE,DON'T MATTER TO ME.EVEN MOPEDS!!!GUESS THAT'S A BOATER THING FOR ME.ANOTHER MONEY PIT!GUESS I'M A GLUTTON FOR THEM.ANYWAY,I AM INTO VINTAGE STUFF ANYWAY'S,LOVE CAR'S,TRUCK'S,BIKE'S FROM THE EARLY DAY'S,JUST LOT'S OF GOOD MEMORIE'S FROM THOSE TIME'S.I THINK METAL RED NECK IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY ABOUT MOST H.D. RIDER'S TODAY ARE JUST A BUNCH OF YUPPIE'S.LOVE THE SITE,GOOD ADVICE FROM HERE,ALSO.HAPPY RIDING!!!!!
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 14, 2008, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

cap lock key is over on the left side of your key board, space key is the big wide one down at the bottom, we don't do much yelling on here
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 15, 2008, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

YEA, I KNOW WHERE THE KEY IS, JUST HAVE A BAD HABIT OF USING IT ALL THE TIME. WRITE ALOT OF REPAIR ORDERS,& THE MECHANIC'S CAN SEE WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO DO IN CAPITAL LETTER'S.DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE,SO MY APOLLAGIE'S.I will turn it off from here on in.Sorry ,jayel
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 15, 2008, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

thanks, didn't mean to sound to harsh
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: October 15, 2008, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

Man, it's all the new HD tards...I love old Pans, Knuckles and Iron heads..but the EVO owners get stupider and stupider. Your HD is not a marvel of technology what so ever. As a matter of fact, my 2valve aircooled 07 Ducati GT1000 (996cc) can pull on a Twin cam 96 (1600) cc's. what a marvel alright. And the new v-rod is a heavy ass lump of porsche designed shitt. There is a reason Eric Buell went to Rotax for his motors this year (Aprilia) instead of the sporty 1200 motor or the v-rod motor. Frick i am just sick of it. And when did sporty's become uncool, they makse some of the best cafe racers and old skool choppers and bobbers..

And the DYNA...yeh, it is a nice bike. But that does not give you the right to make fun of sporty owners (or anyone else) if you ride a bone stock dyna. EVERYONE HAS A STOCK DYNA...SO SHUT IT.

excessive chrome, Fat tires, and billet look like garbage.

And yes, HD's can be fast...But it takes them a brutish amount of displacement to do it. 130 cubes is 2100cc's....Well guess what, some of Italys finest make around the 160-180 mark on a 1098cc twin.
tweedy64

PostPosted: October 16, 2008, 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

we gone past the evo owners, its these twin cam all singing all dancing fuel injected conveyer belt driven tractors, not all mind. Done my harley time n sporty's are the best all round harley but they dont sound the same as an xs steaming down the rd .........SWEET.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: October 16, 2008, 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

Quote::
but they dont sound the same as an xs steaming down the rd .........SWEET.

I agree... when I back off the throttle a little on the downhill approach to my local MC shop and gear down in front of it to the red light, my old gal turns some heads in the parking lot. What is it about the way these vertical twins sound??!! Very Happy
Photo Gallery
killer

PostPosted: October 16, 2008, 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

Yes, there is a distinctive parallel twin sound. I got the thumbs up from a group of bikers the other day cruising RT30 past the Harley plant. There was a guy on a CX500 Custom yesterday morning who almost wrecked from staring at my bike while in traffic. Its attracting some attention.

The Cafe look is working out well. I don't mind the seating position, I can duck behind the screen and even rest my elbows on my knees if I get tired.

1979 XS650 2F0
metalredneck

PostPosted: October 16, 2008, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

Two weeks ago I had some RUB on a Springer Softail chase me thru town to see what I was riding. That was when the granny in the Buick ahead of us jammed the brakes on for no particular reason. Buddy damn near mated with her plasticized bumperettes. I laughed all the way home.

The only real issue I have is with the rich newbie idiots who slag anything but HD, even tho they started riding a month (and $35000) ago. They go so slow here, that motorhomes are passing them, even when they ride two abreast in parade formation. Somebody's gonna get hurt, and we're all gonna pay, as usual. >8/
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 17, 2008, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Harley guys stopped waving to me...

Two types of Harley riders over here in the UK - RUBS (rich urban bikers..accountants/bankers/poofs etc) or National Chopper Club/H.A. ..All the same - ignorant wankers..
The former dont understand the 'motorcyclists code' the latter dont give a toss 'cos theyre 'rightious dudes' & it would spoil their hardass 'tude image ... Wink

gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2