650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Some questions about building a bratstyle bike

Some questions about building a bratstyle bike
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
skippyp

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 11:39 am    Post subject: Some questions about building a bratstyle bike

Hey guys, I've been wandering around these threads for a while now, just trying to gather as much info as possible. I recently purchased a 71 xs650 that runs great, I am planning on lowering the rear with the lower shock bracket kit and shorter shocks. What is the easiest way to lower the front end, I've heard of sliding the fork tubes through the triple trees but they would hit my bars and levers then, are there any other options? Also, has anyone shortened and narrowed the stock seat, I still want to be able to ride with a passenger. Also, does anyone have a wiring diagram to just run the head light and tail light and ignition? I would love to get rid of all the useless wires in there (looks like there's a lot that i don't need).

Thanks, Steve
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions about building a bratstyle bike

This link has some basic wiring diagrams:
www.cyclepsycho.com/ya...wires.html
Photo Gallery
skippyp

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions about building a bratstyle bike

how about lowering the front end? Any ideas?
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions about building a bratstyle bike

You can always try to get shorter fork tubes, from Forking by Frank or someone else. I ran a Harley with 4 under stock tubes once. You should be able to get them about any length, but the cost might be prohibitive.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
NateDogg

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions about building a bratstyle bike

My forks are just slid up in the tree, a little more than an inch until they hit my bars, I really don't see going any lower....., you know if you move the upper mounts forward as far as you can, and use the short shocks, you won't have to screw with lowering blocks.
skippyp

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions about building a bratstyle bike

any chance I could get a pic of the tubes slid through the trees? I have clearance to the bar, but the levers are in the way...
NateDogg

PostPosted: August 28, 2008, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions about building a bratstyle bike

here

mybike2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  303.65 KB
 Viewed:  414 Time(s)

mybike2.jpg

sinister_customs

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Some questions about building a bratstyle bike

these forks are the most basic things to take apart and lower, all you have to do is add a spacer to your dampner rod causing it to sit higher in the male tube. although you might have to cut a little of your spring away to get the caps back on, i guess that all depends on how much preload you like on your forks, but this is by far the cleanest and easy way to lower the front end
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1