650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Front Caliper

Front Caliper
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
dryeager

PostPosted: May 10, 2006, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Front Caliper

On a 75 xs650, is there anyway to rebuild a ceased caliper or would it be better to buy a new one?
Phred

PostPosted: May 11, 2006, 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Front Caliper

I believe Mike's has the seal kit and new pistons, if needed. I personally destroyed 2 (also '75) trying to get the rusty pistons out of the housings. *IF* you can remove the pistons, and *IF* the piston bores are in decent shape, the caliper is rebuildable.
Photo Gallery
dryeager

PostPosted: May 11, 2006, 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Front Caliper

Thanks for the tip. Best place to find a new one?
mo650chopper
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: May 11, 2006, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Caliper

Try here

www.xs650parts.com/brakepage.htm

Photo Gallery
dryeager

PostPosted: May 11, 2006, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Caliper

Thank you.
Wulf

PostPosted: May 12, 2006, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Caliper

I would recomend the following:
Remove the brake line from the caliper and then remove the caliper from the forks, remove the pads. Remove the bleeder and drain as much fluid as possible. Fill with wd-40 or PB Blaster (much better in my opinion) and let sit overnight. Next day drain caliper and put a piece of wood covered with some rags were the pads would normally sit. put the bleeder screw back in and use compressed air and a blow nozzle at the brake line port and pressurize the caliper. Warning!!!! DO NOT ALLOW FINGERS TO GET BETWEEN THE WOOD AND THE PISTON!!!! Unless you like pain and pissing all over yourself!!!! WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!! Reread warning again!!!!! This will usually result in a LOUD pop and the piston is out.
Wulf

kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 12, 2006, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Caliper

I saw somewhere mentioned using a grease gun to push out the piston. Since liquids are non compressible the piston will push out without the violence associated with the pressurized air. You will need to fabricate a grease nipple into a bolt sized to fit the banjo hole. Shouldn't be that difficult.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
Wulf

PostPosted: May 13, 2006, 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Front Caliper

The grease gun is an interesting idea. The compressed air is what we use in the shops cause it's quick and easy. I have seen though the situation I described about fingers being slammed between the piston and the wood. And yes, the yahoo did piss all over himself!
Wulf

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1