650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > First Engine Build

First Engine Build
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
amosey

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 3:27 pm    Post subject: First Engine Build

Hello everyone. Ive been riding my '75xs for 3 years now and this summer I decided to park it and start work on rebuiilding the engine and modifying the bike. I really love twins and have become obsessed with the 650. There seems to be a lot of info and options out there- enough to make my head spin. Im going to start with the top end of the engine. Here's the plan-

750 big bore
Web perf. cam
new valves seals guides
Boyer-Bransden ignition
stock headpipes w/shorty mufflers
stock BS38 CV carbs

any recommendations?
what jets should I start with in the carbs?
Thanks for your time and info,
Aaron
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First Engine Build

if you are going all out with engine upgrades. do yourself a favor and get a set of round slides from michael at 650central. trust me. its worth it not to have to pull your hair out tuning those stock carbs.

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First Engine Build

Better yet Biff, contact xsjohn for his needles on the bs34 carbs. All those upgrades will need a good set of carb upgrades. And then you can still stick with stock carbs, they'll just need to be tuned to the big bore upgrade.
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: August 15, 2008, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First Engine Build

yeah, i know. i think ive got a set of bs34's in my basement, i was thinking of getting a set of johns needles for. but ive already got a running stock bike with all stock parts. and my project has my mikuni round slides. the problem for amosey is finding a decent set of bs34's. or finding a set, and buy rebuild kits, jets, johns needles. then you tune it. thats a lot of work.

im not made of money, but i saved up for set of round slides from 650central. there isnt a whole lot i have to do in terms of tuning. sure, i can fine tune the carbs. but he already jets them for your set up. its nice. and he certainly knows what hes doing.

i felt that was the better way to go. people are always having jetting and tuning woes with the stock carbs. and im no master bike mechanic, especially when it comes to fine tuning carbs. the easier for me the better.

the fortunate thing is there is a whole lot of support and knowledge on here and 650garage.

so either way you go amosey, you will find the info you are looking for. good luck.

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: First Engine Build

Thanks for the input. Finances will play the major role in what I decide to do for the moment. Probably end up working with what I have untill I can afford the upgrade..
amosey

PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: First Engine Build

Thanks for the input. Finances will play the major role in what I decide to do for the moment. Probably end up working with what I have untill I can afford the upgrade..

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1