650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Frames > > Powder Coat question

Powder Coat question
    Forum Index -> Frames
ayrhen

PostPosted: May 10, 2006, 9:37 am    Post subject: Powder Coat question

I'm thinking of tearing down a '71 and rebuilding the electrics, shocks, swingarm, everything (except engine). I thought I might have the frame powder coated before reassembly. I know virtually nothing about bike building/restoration. Can anyone tell me about how much I could expect to pay to have the bike powdercoated? Anything I should take into account/consider/keep in mind? Anyone else want to share their experience in this regard?
Phred

PostPosted: May 10, 2006, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Powder Coat question

Prices for powdercoating can vary wildly. Some coaters want you to strip and prep so all they have to do is coat it-I would avoid these guys because proper prep is crucial to a quality job and if someone else is doing it you can't be sure they did it right. A quality coater will want to do prep himself, you can strip it yourself (maybe save a few bucks), but he will want to do whatever prep he feels is neccessary. Does the coater "phosphate" the parts? This can double the life of the powder coat. What color do you want? Basic black is usually about as cheap as anything, but if the shop has something "left over" from another job they may make you a deal on it. Special colors or textures are additional cost. Are there multiple shops doing coating locally-competition can pull prices down, especially if a new shop is trying to "steal" work from an existing business.

Having said all that (phew!), your best bet is to ask around locally for suggestions on who to go to and call them up. Bike frames are fairly similar in size, and a shop can probably give you an idea of the cost over the phone.

Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: May 11, 2006, 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Powder Coat question

Powder Coatings when maintained look great but what it isn't is cheap resistant and being this coating sets up hard and any road debris,etc that stricks it with enough force will in most cases leave deep gouges and if by any chance the frame developes stress cracks , these of course won't be visible to the eye either do the thickness and hardness of this material. Like most coatings,they all have advantages and disadvantages,it's just a matter of preference I guess but i've seen the cons,so just something to ponder on...............Jack
threeballtony

PostPosted: May 20, 2006, 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Powder Coat question

In the Atlanta area it most coaters to, charge 125.00-175.00 prep and coat a frame 125.00 was the lowest qute I got and 175.00 the highest Tony
guelah

PostPosted: April 12, 2007, 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Powder Coat question

Cost aside... what are most folks doing with their frames (powder or paint)? Working on my first build and I just assumed powder coat but...??? Also when preping a frame for either, how are folks stripping it down?
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 12, 2007, 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Powder Coat question

I striped most of my frame with a 3M abrasive wheel. I than used a flap wheel to smooth out the weld spatter. I finished up with a light sand blasting to get into the nooks and crannies. I'm sending it to powder next week.
Photo Gallery
Gmaan
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 2, 2007, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Powder Coat question

If you are restoring a 1971 I would paint the frame, as original. I had RD400 parts powder coated and they come out real nice. If you insist on powder coating be sure to be very specific in what you want masked off. draw a simple picture and have to powder coating guy review it and sign it. I had some wheels powder coated and they coated over the sprocket hub. it was a real pain to get it cleaned off so the sprocket would fit.
The more information you give the better. Remember he hires guys who just "do the job" and might not understand motorcycles.

If you have the frame sandblasted you can clean up the welds as mentioned earlier. primer and paint it and trust me it will look original.
A 1971 is a classic, especially if it has the front drum brakes.

1974 Kawasaki H1 500 triple (MY BABY)
1975 Yamaha TX 650 (just need paint)

Forum Index -> Frames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1