650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > 06 Kaw front end help

06 Kaw front end help
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
Pdub

PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 9:07 pm    Post subject: 06 Kaw front end help

Hi all, I posted this in the frame section a few days ago with no response so I thought I'd try here. I have an 81 and I'm getting to the point of test fitting. I have a complete front end from a 2006 Kawasaki zx6r Ninja. It looks amazing just sitting there, but the bearings are way too big. ANY RESOURCES YOU COULD SUGGEST AS TO WHERE TO BUY BEARING CUPS TO ADAPT THESE? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I just bought my wife a running bike.....so she's ridin and I'm not! A happy wife is ......well off my a$$.. Very Happy THANKS! Paul
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 06 Kaw front end help

I bet it does look cool. I've no ideas or sources for you but you should let us see a picture or two. Maybe someone will have an idea?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Pdub

PostPosted: August 7, 2008, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 06 Kaw front end help

Well I got to thinking....I live in the Detroit area, there as got to be a company that makes a bearing that will work. Low and behold, 1 mile from my house is Allied Technologies. They have a needle bearing with 1 3/8 inner and 1 5/8" outer. The head tube is 1 5/8"(cups are bigger) so two of these should work perfectly. They have crappy hours so I'll go on wednesday and if they work, I'll post some pics. That is if anyone really cares:) Later,
Paul
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 8, 2008, 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: 06 Kaw front end help

I'm listening...just don't have any expertise in that area...does it count that I have a Ninja? Smile

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
penn71911

PostPosted: August 8, 2008, 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 06 Kaw front end help

I'm listening too.... please keep us informed Smile

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 8, 2008, 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 06 Kaw front end help

I was reading somewhere about a project involving a gsxr front end on a yamaha. They gsxr stem was too long so They machined an aluminum "collar" that sat on top of the stock neck bearing and took up the extra distance.
I dont know if that makes sense or is helpfull but I will try to find the link. Cool

Pdub

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 06 Kaw front end help

The build in the Chopper section by SKY has me rethinking my plans. He used pretty much the same setup that I am and "fused" the stock triple tree stem with the ZX6R stem/lower tree. As long as it works, I'll post pics on Wed. My needle bearing idea failed cause they will only support a horizontal load, not the verticle load that the forks place on the trees. Thanks for the interest everyone! Later, Paul
Pdub

PostPosted: August 25, 2008, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 06 Kaw front end help

Alright, finally back. I've been on vacation for a week and a half. The first pic is the stock XS stem after you grind off the weld on the lower tree and "press" it out with an old socket and big hammer!! and of the lower ZX6R tree after you saw off the stem..EEK! I bored both the lower tree and the inside of the XS stem to a uniform 7/8" dia, bought a 3" piece of solid hardened steel rod and joined the two. The second pic is a quick mock up. I don't have my new tapered bearings so nothing is tight. The future holds a different swingarm mount and a dropseat....we'll see.

bike 021.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  264.8 KB
 Viewed:  359 Time(s)

bike 021.jpg

bike 020.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.89 KB
 Viewed:  298 Time(s)

bike 020.jpg

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1