650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Front end wobble...................

Front end wobble...................
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Mace

PostPosted: July 27, 2008, 11:55 pm    Post subject: Front end wobble...................

Hey guys, Got my bike running and took it up the back roads a few times.
When I ride my KZ750 sometimes I like to let go of the bars ...I tried this with the xs650 and the front end started shaking back and forth. Any one know what would cause this or how to fix it?
Thanks
ace
krunk

PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble...................

Do you have a front fender, or have you removed it?
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble...................

A severe side to side front end wobble is affectionately known as a tank slapper. No fun when they happen. A number of things can cause this: worn front tire, front tire out of balance, damage to the front end geometry, worn steering head bearings, improperly tightened steering head, and probably more.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
Mace

PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble...................

Thanks fellas.
I still have the fender in place and realize this is part of the support of the front end.

hmmm...not sure where to start first. It's OK if you keep your hands on the bar! I do have another front end. Anything I should check/be looking for if I take the front end down?
Thanks
ace

I have another front wheel w/tire...maybe I'll swap that out and see if its better.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end wobble...................

check for freeplay in the steering stem, get the front wheel off the ground and try to pull the fork legs front to back should be no movement in the steering bearings, fork should also turn freely side to side, bearings to tight will cause slow speed steering oscillation (front end weave) maybe need to be regrease steering bearings if it still has the ball bearings or replace with the Timken tapered setup

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1