650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Wheelie?? is it possable?

Wheelie?? is it possable?
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
littlepilot89

PostPosted: July 24, 2008, 6:15 pm    Post subject: Wheelie?? is it possable?

Are wheelies possable on 650 specials?
.ET.

PostPosted: July 24, 2008, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

Yes wheelies are possible on an XS650, Ive only known one person to do it and it took him a while to get it down...... the heavier you are the easier it will come up
tracker79

PostPosted: July 24, 2008, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

I'm no Evil Knievil, but with a 38 gear in the rear i've rode it through a couple of gears. Monkey boy down the street can ride anything in the air through all the gears and i'm sure he could do it on my bike but he's not going to find out.
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: July 24, 2008, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

But why.........oh, never mind. (That's why there are BSA Victors!) Wink
Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
tracker79

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

Barbara wrote:
But why.........oh, never mind. (That's why there are BSA Victors!) Wink
Why? because it's fun that's why. When i built this bike i was looking into 650 dual sport bikes, just something to run around town and hit the backroads and trails. After seeing a street tracker and knowing where a nice low mileage XS for cheap was, that's what i had to have. I just about could have bought a new 650ds for what i've put into this bike, but the time i spent building it and the character of the bike is worth it. It's just a dirt bike with a big motor. I've put 2400 miles on it so far and been through three back tires. It's geared low, vibrates like hell, the seat is not very comfortable, but i love riding it. A Victor? those are for sissys. Laughing
Photo Gallery
krunk

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

Hell, I can walk my 50cc pocket bike, for like 10 minutes if I get the balance right....if that thing is torqy enough, I know my 650 will be. Very Happy
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

.ET. wrote:
Yes wheelies are possible on an XS650, Ive only known one person to do it and it took him a while to get it down...... the heavier you are the easier it will come up
ET is right. The heavier you are the easier it will come up. If you are light sit farther back on the seat, just dont sit so far back that the bike drives out from under you when the front end goes skyward and you end up running behind the bike with the front wheel 4' in the air and you got both hands on the grips with the throttle wide open and when you let go of the throttle the bike comes down but now your face is on the seat where your ass was a few seconds ago and you and the bike end up traveling 50' along the pavement before falling over and your father who witnessed the whole thing calls you a dumb ass. Dont ask me how I know all this..................BG
krunk

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

BigGeorge wrote:
.ET. wrote:
ET is right. The heavier you are the easier it will come up. If you are light sit farther back on the seat, just dont sit so far back that the bike drives out from under you when the front end goes skyward and you end up running behind the bike with the front wheel 4' in the air and you got both hands on the grips with the throttle wide open and when you let go of the throttle the bike comes down but now your face is on the seat where your ass was a few seconds ago and you and the bike end up traveling 50' along the pavement before falling over and your father who witnessed the whole thing calls you a dumb ass. Dont ask me how I know all this..................BG

ROFL

That's hilarious!
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

I couldn't stop laughing at this one.

I'll never forget the time I was at a local 1/8 mile drag strip. There was a bike meet there that day, and the strip was open for anybody who paid a fee to race their bike down the 1/8 mile. One dude was gonna give it a try with a mid-80s big twin Harley. He was of average build, probably less than 180 lb. The bike looked pretty stock except for the pipes. After a lot of throttle twisting fanfare, the tree turned green, he hits the gas, and the bike's front wheel comes up off the ground and keeps coming. It flips completely over on top of him. Busted up some stuff, but the guy was okay. Just shook up and bewildered looking. I'll bet that's the first time his bike ever did that to him. Probably the last, too.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
BigGeorge

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

BigGeorge wrote:
.ET. wrote:
True story I swear. I was 19 yrs old and the bike was my new 1965 650 Triumph Bonny. I only weighed 130lbs then and all my friends who weighed alot more could do wheelies and all I could do was burn outs till that day....................BG
tracker79

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

That's funny stuff BigGeorge, been there myself. I witnessed the same thing Cooltouch described at the bike drags several times. For some reason they want to launch it harder at the track than on the street. Bad idea, but entertaining to watch.
Photo Gallery
krunk

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

tracker79 wrote:
That's funny stuff BigGeorge, been there myself. I witnessed the same thing Cooltouch described at the bike drags several times. For some reason they want to launch it harder at the track than on the street. Bad idea, but entertaining to watch.

Yes, considering the track bites harder than streets, lol.
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

krunk wrote:
tracker79 wrote:

Yes, considering the track bites harder than streets, lol.
The track might bite harder than the street but Blacktop is Blacktop and at the track you are required to wear a full face helmet and full leathers so the bite is usually far less than wearing jeans and a T shirt and no helmet. Yea I know it was stupid but it seems I've spent the majority of my life learning things the hard way. But in either case what seems to get hurt the most is your ego................BG
Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

I think what krunk was referring to was the hook-up at the starting line at a drag strip. The pavement there is usually quite sticky, thus it gives a very good bite.

Oh also, I guess down here in bubba-land, at a meet like I was at, the only thing required was a helmet. I distinctly recall the guy was wearing an old style open-face helmet, biker-style leather jacket, and jeans.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
BigGeorge

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

Cooltouch I stand corrected on both accounts. I run a drag car so I should have realised what krunk was refering to....................BG

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

BigGeorge wrote:
Cooltouch I stand corrected on both accounts. I run a drag car so I should have realised what krunk was refering to....................BG

Hehe, yep. Traction is what I was referring to. I ran a '67 Mustang for a few years.......best ever was 7.98 in the 8th...never could get her any faster Very Happy
Photo Gallery
littlepilot89

PostPosted: July 25, 2008, 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

so me weighing in at 265 should have no trouble getting my front tire of the ground lol

god my 2 other buddies and i want to build a dragster so bad.... the one lives in a junkyard and his brother and father race dirt modifieds i want to get our car together but we dont know where to start to get hit the strip at atco
ghostyder

PostPosted: July 26, 2008, 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

almost every time ive shown off for a crowd, its bit me. from a downhill handstand on a skateboard when i was 14 to wheelies for the girls on motorcycles.

y worst boner was in 89 but i didnt get caught. i was 19 and had a 85 shadow that i used to wheelie all the time, i took my girlfriend for a ride and thought id give her a thrill, I came so close to looping i cant believe i didnt. The only thing that saved me was she had seen me do it a zillion times and didnt panic.

she got off smiling and saying it was fun, i got off shaking and thanking god.
ghostyder

PostPosted: July 26, 2008, 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

P.S. Although it didnt last, I ended up marrying that girl two years later. Never met another one that would have forgave me for pulling that shite with her on the back. I dont do that anymore.

PostPosted: July 26, 2008, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

she sounds like a keeper then =]
NateDogg

PostPosted: July 28, 2008, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

I can attest that both my cafe 650 and the choppery one both wheelie quite easily
midnrider

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheelie?? is it possable?

I used to wheelie my dirt bikes all the time...and I'm sure the old XS would do it, but man if it gets away from you (which happens alot with wheelies on heavy bikes {heavy compaired to dirt bikes} ) the damage to the bike (and you) could be impressive...but hell go for it, should be fun for others to watch! lol
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1