650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
krunk

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

I'm having a real hard time visualizing how these are to be correctly mounted on the frame. Can you guys post up some pics of how you mounted them?

Here is the seat that I want.

Would using these help in the ease of the installation?
Photo Gallery
climber11

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

I've done a few of those. I simple tab in front with some round tube welded to it, just as wide as the seat bracket. In the rear, some perches and these dont even need to have fastners.

Oh, and be creative. On the second pic, those are XS valve springs!

almost2small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.16 KB
 Viewed:  219 Time(s)

almost2small.jpg

springs down.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.36 KB
 Viewed:  232 Time(s)

springs down.jpg

krunk

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

Damn...so I need access to a welder....

I do not have easy access to a welder, lol.

Those valves are wicked, lol.
Photo Gallery
climber11

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

Actually no. They do make a bracket like mine, with a U-bolt for mount directly to a tube, though now that I'm thinking about it, it would have to be a single tube in the middle of the frame. Are you putting this on an aftermarket frame, stocker???
climber11

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

Like this:

krunk

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

climber11 wrote:
Like this:

Yes! Where can I get that?

It's going on a stock frame bobber.
Photo Gallery
climber11

PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

I googled "universal solo seat mount" and got that pic. I think JP cycles has them for cheap. Not sure it will work with a stock frame though, because a solo seat mounts in the middle. There are no places to clamp to on a stocker. I wonder if you could get two of these, run a rod through them and mount the seat to the rod? just thinking.
Scott

BeanerBiker

PostPosted: July 22, 2008, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

i saw these on a search..I didnt use them, but maybe you could get an idea from them..

shop.kickstartchopperp...om/main.sc
Photo Gallery
krunk

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

[IMG=http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/236/dscf1206io8.th.jpg]

This is my frame as it sits now.....can someone give me some insite on how they mounted theres on a stock frame?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I would rather know before hand, lol.
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

so you wanna put a spring type solo seat on a swing arm bike?I think the angles would be all wrong.I mean I guess if you like sitting 4 inches higher.
doesn't make much sense to me but what the hell do i know.
I ride the unridable,or so I have been told.
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

Another problem with spring seat on swing arm frame is that the oscillation causes handling problems. It is possible (even common) that when the shocks compress, the seat springs also compress (due to the same bump) causing an odd feeling especially if in a turn. It changes the center of gravity during each oscillation, and can cause one to lose control. Remember that spring seats were designed from the start to mount on rigid framed bikes. The purpose of the swing arm was to eliminate the spring seat and increase the suspension travel in the process.
I will also add, that I've run sprung seats on swing arm bikes, but it does take getting used to, and those bikes weren't performance oriented, but were lazy cruisers. On an XS650 i would recommend against it.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
krunk

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

Then what would you recommend in place of a spring seat? I absolutely hate basically anything else on this bike.

I have seen numerous upon numerous of softtail bobbers with spring seats, so I know it's been done tomes of times.

:edit:

These two bikes are my idea's/inspiration bikes and they are both stock frame XS's with spring seats....angle looks pretty good to me TBH.

farm1.static.flickr.co...98.jpg?v=0

650rider.com/modules/c...024537.jpg
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

how far are you taking this"bobber"? are you doing frame mods?
answering these question may make it easier for someone to help you out.
krunk

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

Hmm...

Well, currently I do not want to do many frame mods at all. I was wanting it to be a stock frame bobber. Although I'm not afraid to weld on it when it needs it of course.
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

Do what the second photo shows (http://650rider.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10023/normal_post-5-1085024537.jpg) His solo seat is not spring mounted but bolted solid to the frame. It gives the look of the Bates style solo spring seat, but is perfect for running on a swing arm, since the seat doesn't move independant of the frame. This would be my recommendation.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
sure

PostPosted: July 23, 2008, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

+1 on what difter said.
georelle

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

The seat on my bike is an Ultima as well. I bought it from Jirehcycles.com for $49.99 The springs were an additional $5.00 or so. In the front I fabricated the mount that goes under the rear tank mount. In the back you can pretty much see what I did there.

George

img_1677.jpg
 Description:
Ultima seat mount
 Filesize:  58.35 KB
 Viewed:  240 Time(s)

img_1677.jpg

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
krunk

PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

georelle wrote:
The seat on my bike is an Ultima as well. I bought it from Jirehcycles.com for $49.99 The springs were an additional $5.00 or so. In the front I fabricated the mount that goes under the rear tank mount. In the back you can pretty much see what I did there.

George

You've said that before, but I can never find any of there seats on the website...the search function does not work either.
Photo Gallery
georelle

PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

When you go to the site click "Harley Aftermarket"

seat spring.jpg
 Description:
two of these are needed
 Filesize:  79.85 KB
 Viewed:  185 Time(s)

seat spring.jpg

ultima seat.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.16 KB
 Viewed:  184 Time(s)

ultima seat.jpg

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

georelle tell me about your rear suspension set up. im thinking of doind something similar. how low is your bike now?

PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

heres the back of my sprung seat no springs on my swing arm bike

shrunkseat2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.54 KB
 Viewed:  201 Time(s)

shrunkseat2.jpg

killtrip

PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

georelle wrote:
When you go to the site click "Harley Aftermarket"

I looked at that site for the same seat.. is it just me? I am seeing two different prices each time I click on a seat.

On the main list, it says one price.. but once I click the 'more' link about any seat, it takes me to a page with more detailed info about the item.. but this time, the price listed is a lot more than on the other page..

seems kinda fishy to me.
krunk

PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

Are those blue...thingies...just sitting on the frame? Or did you make a tab for them and weld it on?
Photo Gallery
georelle

PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I see how you have mounted your solo seats?

Killtrip
I just checked it out again and you are right two different prices show up. I paid $49.99. I am not sure what the deal is with the other link and price. You can get a narrow one for $39.99. Most of the seats I see one the other bikes look narrower, I think it is 9" for the narrow and 13" for the wider one. I have put a few miles on this seat now and it is comfortable.

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2