650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Top end rebuild, part left over

Top end rebuild, part left over
    Forum Index -> Engine
TheDude

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 2:38 pm    Post subject: Top end rebuild, part left over

I feel like an idiot, but I got my top end together, and I found a part left over. It's the clip that fits under the breather on the underside of the head.
I really don't want to take the top end apart again. Does anyone have an opinion as to how important this part is?

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

here's another pic

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

If it was mine I would run it.........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
TheDude

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

I was just about to take the top end apart to replace it. Do you know what that thing does?

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

Looked again and I know why the put it there.........The tang covers a hole that goes up through the top cap to the vent.........guess the oil could sling off the chain up the hole and be drawn up that hole and more oil could end up being expelled via the vent...........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
TheDude

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

thanks, I have to get this thing put together today, so maybe I'll risk it. or, maybe not. That cam chain was a bitch to put on. I don't want to do that again.

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

Flip a coin.........but oil consumption could become a problem for later if that helps your decision.......a few years ago I left the positioning dowels off the bottom of the barrels......had to lift the whole thing after torquing ........xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

Over at 650motorcycles.com, Bob B. refers to this clip as an "oil return baffle" but makes no mention of its importance. I think John is probably correct on this one.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
TheDude

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

Under different circumstances, I would pull it apart again. As it is, If I don't get this thing running in the next couple of days, I will have to trailer the bike across the state in pieces rather than ride it to my new house (which doesn't have a workshop).

If the only worry is a little more oil blowing out the breather, I'll take my chances.

Thanks John, I appreciate your expertise.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

With new rings, gap and bore to spec .... it will be much less a problem. My 30 year old stocker blew lottsa crap out the breather ... had 27 thou ring end gap, not to mention piston clearance. With new 700cc and the works all to spec... its nil.

But that part is a baffle .... let us know what happens ... will be good info.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

I left it out of one of my bikes a few years ago,its still running fine after thousands of miles.reckon its only there to help 'guide' the oil down ..
Photo Gallery
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

Depends on the pressure inside the crankcase ... if minimal (with new specs) ... Gorden Bennet!
TheDude

PostPosted: July 6, 2008, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

Thanks XS1961, thats exactly what I was looking for.

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

Been there done that!
I pulled mine back down & put it back
The cam chain was a Bitch to get back on
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Top end rebuild, part left over

If the thing gets blowin' too bad, tape one o' them little, plastic, cracker-jack-prize whistles into the end of the breather tube. It'll whistle while you're running down the road and if you twist it hard, it might play loud enough to act as a siren -- sort of an added safety feature. Duct tape under your jaw and over the top of the helmet to keep yer lid from blowing off, the cops'll be so impressed you won't get a ticket no matter how fast you go.

Socially speakin' there is nothing so impressive as the ability to put on a good show. Fly the freak flag, they'll either laugh at you or they'll be scared to death of you. Either way, they'll let you go if you don't come on as a public menace.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1