650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Cafe Racer project in Australia

Cafe Racer project in Australia
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
Razar

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

And I've been doing up the master cylinder.

brake master old resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.31 KB
 Viewed:  272 Time(s)

brake master old resize.jpg

brake master bead blasted resize 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.88 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)

brake master bead blasted resize 1.jpg

brake master polished resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.46 KB
 Viewed:  286 Time(s)

brake master polished resize.jpg

Razar

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Just discovered that I've been leading people astray saying that my clipons came from a yzf250. WRONG!! They are from an FZR250. And very nice billet alloy. YUM
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Kinda thought they wern't from a dirt bike Razer Wink

Pies...............well at least you ride anXS, so you can't be that bad I suppose! The mighty Tigers should slaughter them this year with our gun recruit! Laughing

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 2, 2009, 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Coming along isn't it?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Razar

PostPosted: March 7, 2009, 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

I've just been finishing off the engine install. Tappets and covers, manifolds torqueing up the engine mount bolts etc.

Today I made some anti reversion cones. They reduce the dia from 1 3/8" ID, the dia of the port,to 1 1/8"ID (34mm to 28mm). The pipes are made for these to slip into. If I'm not happy, I can just fit some non reducing pieces in their place.

Also waiting on my pamco electronic ignition and coil to arrive from Mike's

anti reversion cones resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.42 KB
 Viewed:  304 Time(s)

anti reversion cones resize.jpg

Razar

PostPosted: March 15, 2009, 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

My Pamco arrived. Elegant little critter ain't it? I haven't put it in yet and I'm still a ways off running it.

I went to Sydney for a couple of days. Pew!! My eyes were stinging the whole time.
I did get to go to Deus ex Machina's showroom and check it out. Some really nice bikes, though rather expensive I thought. And the obligatory t-shirts were $50 to $70 for nothing special in the way of quality. Still it was all done with style and creative marketing flair. Good to see realy. Now it's not just the Harley guys who get custom.

Today I'm back in the bush letting my sinuses and my feet recover ( I went with my girlfriend so some shopping was done Rolling Eyes ). I managed to give the controls a final polish up and fit them to the clipons.

controls 002 resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.91 KB
 Viewed:  339 Time(s)

controls 002 resize.jpg

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Well. I put the cam shaft in the wrong way round. DOH !! So I've spent most of my time pulling it back down enough to turn it around, and putting it all back together again.

Yesterday and today I've been doing the RH side casing. I cut the support for the kickstart shaft off the cover and welded in a plug and ground it down flush. This may not have been a great idea. It turns out that the quality of the cover casting is not very good. It's full of cavities, and most of them are full of oil. A real bugger to weld. I had to turn the whole area into a molten pool to try and fill the holes and burn out the oil. Did this 3 times and just moved the circle of pits out. So my cover looks a bit rough, especially as it's got marks from the brake pedal hitting it.

I think it will mostly be hidden by the pipes and brake pedal and linkages, so I've put it on the engine and I'll see if I can live with it.

I have a spare, but it would be a lot of work to clean it up.

I also made and fit a blanking plug for the tacho drive hole. (electronic tacho)

rh side cover mod resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.79 KB
 Viewed:  311 Time(s)

rh side cover mod resize.jpg

tacho blanking plug resize 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82 KB
 Viewed:  246 Time(s)

tacho blanking plug resize 01.jpg

tacho blanking plug resize 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.85 KB
 Viewed:  291 Time(s)

tacho blanking plug resize 02.jpg

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 29, 2009, 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

I bought a newer style right case with the sight glass off ebay and it had a little bit of pedal scrape that I was able to sand out. My arm was tired but they did come out eventually.
By the way, that front end looks sharp.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Razar

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

I haven't done a whole lot on the bike lately. I've been battleing the wet season. We've only had a couple of hours sun in the last 3 weeks and it's rained every day. A bit of minor flooding washed out a hole in my road that I dropped my truck into. Not good. I had to get it dragged out by my neighbours big tractor and now it blows white smoke. I think I may have broken it a little.

The mozzie's and leaches are going off. You need repellent and coils to keep them from eating you alive. It makes it hard working on the bike with the mosquito's biting your ears etc.

I wish the farmers out west would stop praying for rain. It looks like the Rain God's aim is off and we're getting it all. And I've had enough. I think I'm starting to go Troppo.

Having said all that, I have been slowly doing all the finishing touches as I assemble the bike. Making sure everything fits properly, doing spacers etc to make sure. Repolishing etc.

coming along 001.resize .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.22 KB
 Viewed:  321 Time(s)

coming along 001.resize .jpg

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 13, 2009, 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

I predict toe'o'boot burn stains on those purty pipes Smile
Razar

PostPosted: April 29, 2009, 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

I think I'll be OK with the pipes Jayel. I'm tall and my toes stick out a fare way when I sit on it. And the pipes are stainless so I can clean them easily.

I've been continuing doing the left side. Made an alloy chain guard. Shortened the clutch cable, etc. This is a crook picture, new camera. I'll have to do some adjusting on it.

left side resize 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.19 KB
 Viewed:  269 Time(s)

left side resize 2.jpg

Last edited by Razar on May 9, 2009, 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 29, 2009, 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

it's all looking good tho', think some of the old Nortons ran their headers that way, you'll be the only kid on the block with one, cheers
tito650

PostPosted: April 29, 2009, 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

nice i see made what i call a torque thruster for your exaust,i run one on my 450r they work good . i like that plug for the tach did u machine a 0 ring groove in that or just silicone it ?
Photo Gallery
geoff1408

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

This one nice looking cafe racer. geoff1408
bryant

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

I'm really diggin the machined sidewall look on the rims! I'm a bicycle guy first so this takes me right back to my MTB days. Rest of it looks killer too.
Razar

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Thanks guys. The tacho plug is just fitted with permatex goop.

I've been doing the cafe 3 step again. When I filled it with oil I went to turn it over and pump the oil through the engine. Starter spun but did not engage. I checked out the boards and found the post from Retiredgentleman about the spring on the bendix gear so I drained the oil out and took the exhaust and RH cover off to check it. The shaft wasn't even turning. So off with the exhaust and the LH cover and the plate over the starter gears. Seems like I'd put the spacer on the wrong side of the gears. Embarassed Remedied that, put it all back together and it now whizzes the engine over.

Now it's back to making progress.

Oh, and thanks Jayel for the May Day best wishes. One day society will be run for the common good intead of the blood sucking elite.Lets have real Democracy for a change!! At least you Yanks have a better chance now with Barack than the previous Bozos Idea

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Finished the gauge mount. Fitted the carbs. Pulled my truck engine apart

gauge mount resize 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.07 KB

gauge mount resize 01.jpg

gauge mount resize 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.98 KB
 Viewed:  263 Time(s)

gauge mount resize 03.jpg

gauge mount resize 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.71 KB
 Viewed:  267 Time(s)

gauge mount resize 05.jpg

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2009, 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Great work, you're very good fabricating parts.
Photo Gallery
Razar

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Thanks RG.

This is what a little water does in a diesel engine.

bent rod resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.65 KB
 Viewed:  264 Time(s)

bent rod resize.jpg

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

If anyone has doubts whether a liquid is non-compressable this picture would set them straight Smile
Photo Gallery
bryant

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

my dad used to rebuild flood damaged cars. i've seen lots and lots of rods in that condition!
Razar

PostPosted: May 10, 2009, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

This is the mounting bracket for my twinfire coil. Bolts onto the top of the old coil mounting plate. It's a little rough but wtf it will be hidden by the tank.

coil holder resize 4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.57 KB

coil holder resize 4.jpg

coil holder resize 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.76 KB
 Viewed:  277 Time(s)

coil holder resize 3.jpg

coil holder resize 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.19 KB
 Viewed:  263 Time(s)

coil holder resize 1.jpg

Last edited by Razar on May 11, 2009, 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 10, 2009, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Hey it doesn't look any more rough that the oem one welded to my frame.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Razar

PostPosted: June 4, 2009, 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

It's been awhile since I've had anything to show. I've been repairing my truck, then we had big floods and I was stranded in town for a week. Not as bad as it sounds as I was at my girlfriends.
I've been working on the electrics, a slow and mind straining process, but I think I've got most of it worked out though not done as yet. The pics (sorry about the quality, I have to get a new camera) are of the board that holds the rectifier (thanks pamcopete for the plan) a 4 fuse holder, and on the back a re55 Bosch regulator and a relay that I've hooked up on the ignition switch to turn on the whole system.
I'm putting a fuse on the rectifier circuit, another on the coil circuit, one for lights etc, and one on the starter solenoid circuit. I may change this a little as I proceed.
I'm soldering all the fittings

electrical board 002 resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.47 KB
 Viewed:  287 Time(s)

electrical board 002 resize.jpg

electrical board 001 resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.35 KB
 Viewed:  260 Time(s)

electrical board 001 resize.jpg

electrical board 005 resize.jpg