650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > fix for a cracked clutch cover?

fix for a cracked clutch cover?
    Forum Index -> Engine
TheDude

PostPosted: July 1, 2008, 1:53 am    Post subject: fix for a cracked clutch cover?

I found this crack in clutch cover. Anybody know of a fix? Can I jb weld it? or tig weld it? It is't leaking, but I'm scared it's going to.

Thanks

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 1, 2008, 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: fix for a cracked clutch cover?

Aluminum can be stick welded or mig welded ... I don't know about aluminum tig??

There is another alternative I've never tried but I do know Caswell sells quality stuff. Take a peek at this and its pretty inexpensive:

www.caswellplating.com...s/pyro.htm
Read the "Techno-Weld"

You could weld it ..... grind, sand, polish .... and probably hardly see the fix.
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 1, 2008, 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: fix for a cracked clutch cover?

I had an outboard boat motor (aluminum) with a cracked casing - I took it to a machine shop to get the aluminum case welded - the guy there put JB weld on the crack - and it held forever - until long past the life of the motor.

He said - if that ever leaks - bring it back - but it won't - and it didn't.

Just make sure you clean both surfaces very well (no oil) - even rought them up a bit - and let it cure a full 24-48 hours before you expose it to oil.

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
TheDude

PostPosted: July 1, 2008, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: fix for a cracked clutch cover?

here are some pictures.

I know aluminum can be TIG welded. in fact, tug is the best proses for aluminum. I have all the equipment as well. I am just not sure how it will work on a case. I am worried about heat distortion.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 1, 2008, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: fix for a cracked clutch cover?

Funny place for a crack ... I wonder if the clutch had somehow been installed wrong in the past and hit the cover?? JB weld might fix it but also might look like crap. Depends how thick you put it on. I wouldn't want a gob of that on the inside in case it broke loose.

Am I crazy ... or is the crack running horizontal on the outside .... and vertical on the inside?
TheDude

PostPosted: July 1, 2008, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: fix for a cracked clutch cover?

You're not crazy man. The damage on the outside is where the case was impacted from the outside. This I am assuming from a wreck (there are other signs that this bike went down at some point). The red arrow on the outside photo is pointing to a gouge and a dent that doesn't show up in the photo.

The crack is due to the box section of the cover being distorted inward.

If it's not leaking now, would you fix it? or weight for it to fail.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 1, 2008, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: fix for a cracked clutch cover?

Well ... my total unqualified judgement. I would dremel a 'V' in the crack and weld it. Here is why ... vibration will eventually cause the crack to 'creep' to a larger crack. Probably would take some time to do that. Or ... you could let it go and keep an eye on it every month or so. But why not nip it in the bud ... end of problem before the crack works it way to the outside .... then you have unsightly blemish on the appearance.

I have no idea ... but if you weld it ... aluminum may require preheating.

Just my 2 cents ... and you may want to wait for others who know better .... but thats what i would do.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1