650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Who's running what 21" Front Wheel

Who's running what 21" Front Wheel
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
sentricity

PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Who's running what 21" Front Wheel

I want to change over to a 21" front rim. I was thinking about using a wheel off an early 80's YZ or dirtbike. They have a small drum brake and a smaller hub style which I like. It appears the rims are aluminum though. I wanted to run a chrome steelly. Where else can I get a chrome steel other than an HD front? What are you guys running?
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's running what 21" Front Wheel

Have a YZ type front wheel with the small conical hub on my RT1..(71 360 Enduro) looks nice but it will hardley stop this 260 lb bike with my skinny ass on it.........wouldn't stand a chance on an XS.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
sentricity

PostPosted: June 13, 2008, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's running what 21" Front Wheel

Yeah good point. It would look nice though:)
NateDogg

PostPosted: June 25, 2008, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's running what 21" Front Wheel

I'm running a 21 off an 83 kdx....I haven't gotten around to hooking up the front brake yet though.......21 makes an awesome diff in appearence.
sentricity

PostPosted: June 25, 2008, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's running what 21" Front Wheel

NateDogg wrote:
I'm running a 21 off an 83 kdx....I haven't gotten around to hooking up the front brake yet though.......21 makes an awesome diff in appearence.
Post a pic up. I found a pic of a 75 Yamaha DT400 that had a nice looking conical styled drum brake and what appeared to be a chrome steel rim. That could be the ticket.
NateDogg

PostPosted: June 26, 2008, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's running what 21" Front Wheel

It's in the bobber section under "my 78, new color and got the 21 mounted"
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: June 27, 2008, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's running what 21" Front Wheel

Nate, that 21 inch wheel looks fantasic. Did you have to do anything special to get the rim to fit?
NateDogg

PostPosted: June 27, 2008, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's running what 21" Front Wheel

nothing "special", just some new spacers and sleeves for inside the fork clamps as the kdx axle is a little thinner
Whitehurst

PostPosted: July 9, 2008, 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Who's running what 21" Front Wheel

Do you have a resource for the spacers and sleeves ?
NateDogg

PostPosted: July 9, 2008, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's running what 21" Front Wheel

My friend has a shop with a lathe, I brought him some measurements and he turned them for me, OR, you can try a different size wheel bearing and use the xs axle...

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1