650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: June 10, 2008, 9:05 pm    Post subject: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

some of you know im working on a bobber. that is still going through as planned.

im talking about my stock xs650. its a 79 special. i'll post a picture later after ive taken one, but its a bit beat up, seen better days. seat cover is all split open, the guy i got it from spray painted the tank and side covers black and did a bad job. and put daytona bars on the bike too.

i want it to look nice, so what should i do? mikes doesnt sell new seats for that year, and the covers are kinda cheap.

the cheapest thing right now would be to strip the paint off the side covers, paint them.and put a mint tank i have in my basement on the bike. thats the side covers and tank. that would make it look a ton better, but its the seat that makes it look so bad.

it seems that either way is just as expensive, id be spending near 300 for the stuff i want/need to do.

new shocks, seat, handlebars, grips, mirrors. thats pretty much it.

i bought a parts bike from a guy who already had new badges unused. that saves some money too.

im not sure what direction i want to go. but any advice would be appreciated?
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: June 10, 2008, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

BiffTirkle wrote:
some of you know im working on a bobber. that is still going through as planned.

im talking about my stock xs650. its a 79 special. i'll post a picture later after ive taken one, but its a bit beat up, seen better days. seat cover is all split open, the guy i got it from spray painted the tank and side covers black and did a bad job. and put daytona bars on the bike too.

i want it to look nice, so what should i do? mikes doesnt sell new seats for that year, and the covers are kinda cheap.

the cheapest thing right now would be to strip the paint off the side covers, paint them.and put a mint tank i have in my basement on the bike. thats the side covers and tank. that would make it look a ton better, but its the seat that makes it look so bad.

it seems that either way is just as expensive, id be spending near 300 for the stuff i want/need to do.

new shocks, seat, handlebars, grips, mirrors. thats pretty much it.

i bought a parts bike from a guy who already had new badges unused. that saves some money too.

im not sure what direction i want to go. but any advice would be appreciated?

I got some stuff for a 79 Special...but let me know..I'm gonna sell most of it to a guy who is chopping mine..
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 10, 2008, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe ra

Biff; I vote for the stock look. I think Yamaha produced a dam good looking bike, following in the British style. The stock looking bikes are now and will continue to be the "classic' look thats getting more popular all the time. One of the cycle magazines has just brought out a new magazine with the title "retro", all about 1970's bikes. There first edition only talked about Honda's and Kawasaki's, obviously an oversight that the XS650 was not in there. Smile
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 10, 2008, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

Retiregentleman the 79 Special was a cruiser look.

Biff I may have the seat and buckhorn style bars.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

Just my two cents. I like the mostly stock look, for ME. But the thing I like about the XS is that there are a million things a guy can do to one to make it their individual bike. Fix up the stocker to ride, go as far as you want on the fix up and keep working on the bobber . If nothing else it will give you some good experience on the mechanical and electrical characteristics of the XS.
It drives me nuts NOT to have one to ride. So have a rider and one to work on.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

nothing i would be doing to my stock bike would put it out of commission while i did my "upgrades"

and when i mean turn it into a cafe racer i really only mean new cafe style seat (from mikes) and clubman handlebars. and a stock tank (which i already have a couple of) it would be able to turned back to stock with very little effort.

i like what retiredgentleman had to say. the stock look is a great look.

but pumps had a great point too. making your bike yours. still stock form factor, but slight changes to enhance the look of the bike.

so would you consider a cafe style seat and clubman bars enhancing and mostly stock? or just a cafe racer?

im still torn. but leaning more towards restoring it to stock. i already have a set of stock handlebars too, thanks for the offer!

i suppose i will check out the cost of having my seat recovered here at a shop. then go from there.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe ra

I saw a NOS seat cover on ebay.....?? Want some ideas on how to customize these bikes, just look through the thousand or so member photos..its endless! Thats what I like!

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...dZViewItem

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe ra

Is it a special or a Special II? The special II is particularly nice to resto-mod into a Roadster look. Very practical and very good looking.

The bike look changes are from the paint, pipes and the handle bars, something you wanted to change anyway.

Use header pipes with a kick up at the rear like the 2 into 2 Macs. On these install "real" Norton Comando Peashooter replicas. Real Peashooters are straight through. The Peashooters copies for Triumphs are 1 1/2". This kick up at the rear adds a particular rakish look that is so nice. it goes well with the forward canted shocks of the Special frame. Sport shocks add a touch of class also as the shocks now stand out with the style.

The Euro bend bars are popular and for a good reason. Bikes look good and feel good with these bars.

Dove gray painted fenders with a color stripe going down the center. Taillight changed to the Brit look alloy light.

The bike has a clean 70's sport look now, very Brit bike. The bike is both practical and a stunner in the looks dept, like a factory custom from 1975.

Tom Graham
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe ra

Was renamed the Special II in 1980
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe ra

Over here in the UK that model was named the 'US Custom'..Ugliest of all the XS's...
Photo Gallery
nj1639

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe ra

Tomterrific wrote:
Is it a special or a Special II? The special II is particularly nice to resto-mod into a Roadster look. Very practical and very good looking.

The bike look changes are from the paint, pipes and the handle bars, something you wanted to change anyway.

Use header pipes with a kick up at the rear like the 2 into 2 Macs. On these install "real" Norton Comando Peashooter replicas. Real Peashooters are straight through. The Peashooters copies for Triumphs are 1 1/2". This kick up at the rear adds a particular rakish look that is so nice. it goes well with the forward canted shocks of the Special frame. Sport shocks add a touch of class also as the shocks now stand out with the style.

The Euro bend bars are popular and for a good reason. Bikes look good and feel good with these bars.

Dove gray painted fenders with a color stripe going down the center. Taillight changed to the Brit look alloy light.

The bike has a clean 70's sport look now, very Brit bike. The bike is both practical and a stunner in the looks dept, like a factory custom from 1975.

Tom Graham

Tom,
You got a picture?

nj1639

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

Biff,
Stock is cool, especially at these bikes ages. Now I like a little lowered look to the rear, 11" shocks, but stock.

BiffTirkle

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe ra

im not sure if it is a special or a special II. i traded a refrigerator for this bike. and this is the whole reason i got into the xs650's!! the guy i traded the fridge for really did get the better end of the deal monetarily speaking. fridge was new and retailed for 2700 bucks! the bike was a beater than ran. and the fridge was free to me, so it was just a matter of needing a bike over a fridge. good ole craigslist!!

you know, i think i will go back to stock. im not a good painter, so the side covers are going to be powder coated plain ole black.

but i will put the stock handlebars back on the bike, get a new seat cover.
i like the tail light behind the seat like in the picture weekendrider posted. thats my favorite style of xs650 in stock form. i would love to get my bike looking like that.

i now believe this bike was in a wreck of some sort, because when i got a couple of milk crates of parts with the bike, there were a few things like smashed head light bucket, mirror, etc that led me to believe this was in a wreck, or the guy had a wrecked bike he salvaged parts from. it doesnt really matter to me, the frame is straight, and the only major things i needed to do was fix the leaky petcock, install a new chain and sprockets. the guy i got it from already installed new bronze swing arm bushings.

i have a new chain and sprockets, and a mint gas tank. the other side covers i have from all the other parts bikes ive gathered over the year are all in pitiful condition. which is why i will strip the ones i have and powder coat them plain black to match the tank. and i dont really need new pipes, mine are just fine.

so can anyone tell me where to get a seat and brake light like in the picture weekendrider posted? will it even fit my year of bike?

dscf1107.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.38 KB
 Viewed:  195 Time(s)

dscf1107.jpg

dscf1106.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.17 KB
 Viewed:  177 Time(s)

dscf1106.jpg

dscf1105.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.31 KB
 Viewed:  193 Time(s)

dscf1105.jpg

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

For the tail light...maybe ebay?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

i found this fender and light on ebay. will this fit my year of bike?

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...enameZWD1V

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe ra

Too funny,
I know the '82 and'83 Heritage Specials have that type of tailight and seat.I recently sprang for a fender and tail light setup like yours'. More classic in appearance. Get that tail light back down where the license plate is.
Differant grabrail goes with the newer models.
That newer tail light has a bundle of wires going to it also. The seat is probably attached differantly, was looking to get the older style seat but I think I'll just stay where I'm at for now.
I do have a spare tail light and grab rail, but would they fit?

To convert to that tail light set up you would need....Rear fender with the lisence plate holder, grab rail with the plastic mount for the light and possibly a seat. Wiring could be a bit tricky.

weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 11, 2008, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

Biff the seat on your bike is a side hinge or lift off?
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe ra

Yours is a 'special'. Any rear 650 guard/fender & light will fit,dont fit that ugly ol Ebay item though !
Photo Gallery
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

my seat is a hinge seat. and im sorry xs1961, i really like that light. if you have any suggestions, i am open. as you can see, i can go many directions with this restore.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe ra

How about this one on mine? Click on it to enlarge

xs650 098.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.15 KB
 Viewed:  210 Time(s)

xs650 098.jpg

Photo Gallery
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: June 12, 2008, 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

i may end up having to go that route. i like that better than my light. but first id have to try the other style. heres the fun part. if all the parts are interchangeable, then i can swap them out and have a slightly different bike anytime i feel like it. its not like it would take all that much effort.

PostPosted: May 30, 2009, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

i have decided to keep my bike stock, i ordered a seat cover. it helps, but looks ugly. ive decided to clean up the covers, pain them up, and keep it like it is. i love the look of the stock bike.

i did decide to build a soft tail bobber though. ha! i havent even finished my hard tail bobber.

i have been so busy working on my kitchen, that my hard tail bobber has taken a back seat. i need more time with it.
building a softail bobber, will be quick. ive got ALL the parts to build a second bike. so i ordered an extended swingarm, and im buying a titled frame. so ive spent just a little, and now im going to build a sweet ass soft tail bobber. ill be working on my welding skills with this one, since i dont have any structural welding to do. this is going to be fun.

PostPosted: May 30, 2009, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

Was wondering how the kitchen was going, Ha!
Post some pics of your softail progress.

jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 30, 2009, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: do i restore my bike to stock, or turn it into a cafe racer?

Don't seem like a tough decision to me: You say you're already building a bobber, so you already got one to look at. Now if you want one to ride, you'd best restore the '79 to stock.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2