650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Stock Parts > > what is this part, & why cant i find it on my other wheels?

what is this part, & why cant i find it on my other wheels?
    Forum Index -> Stock Parts
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: May 28, 2008, 7:26 am    Post subject: what is this part, & why cant i find it on my other wheels?

the diagram says that this is a collar, ive searched everywhere, and i havent been able to find the one i may have taken out.

i have 4 rear mag and 2 rear spoke wheels. one im rebuilding for my project, pictures at the link.

650rider.com/index.php...pic&t=3343

but i cannot find this collar anywhere. is it part of the original bearing assembly?

HELP!!

http---www.biker.net-74-76_650_parts-chassis-650abc_rear_wheel.pdf - adobe reader.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  254.11 KB
 Viewed:  118 Time(s)

http---www.biker.net-74-76_650_parts-chassis-650abc_rear_wheel.pdf - adobe reader.jpg

5twins

PostPosted: May 28, 2008, 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: what is this part, & why cant i find it on my other whee

It's pressed into the bearing and must be removed from the old one to use it in a new one. If all your wheels still have bearings in them, there should be one in every wheel. It may look like part of the bearing at first glance, like an inner race. If you threw the old bearings out from that wheel you're rebuilding, then you may have inadvertently thrown that spacer out as well.
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: May 28, 2008, 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: what is this part, & why cant i find it on my other wheels?

ah hah!!!!! i knew it !!!!! and yes i do still have the old bearings, ive tried to keep everything in a pile of what it came off of. so thank you thank you!!!!!!

PostPosted: May 28, 2008, 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: what is this part, & why cant i find it on my other wheels?

Some bad news, I'm afraid. That collar has a lip on the backside and must be installed from the rear of the bearing. The lip needs to be on the inside to act along with the tube spacer and properly space the 2 bearings apart. If you tighten the axle up without it, the inner races will be squeezed towards each other too much and the bearings will bind. Your new bearing will have to come out.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 28, 2008, 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: what is this part, & why cant i find it on my other wheels?

5twins wrote:
That collar has a lip on the backside and must be installed from the rear of the bearing.

So if you didn't think/know of that, chances are you'd ruin it pressing it out from the wrong side?
5twins

PostPosted: May 28, 2008, 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: what is this part, & why cant i find it on my other wheels?

Probably, and the bearing, too.
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: May 28, 2008, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this part, & why cant i find it on my other whee

fortunatly, the collar wasnt ruined. and i had not installed the wheel yet either. so, nothing detrimental happened except my having to install that collar with the bearing installed. which i did carefully, and everything looks good.

one more question while we are on the subject.

since these new bearings are sealed, do i need to grease anything before i put the spacers, bearings and seals back together?
5twins

PostPosted: May 28, 2008, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this part, & why cant i find it on my other whee

New sealed and lubed "for life" bearings really don't come with much grease in them at all. I like to add a bit more. Carefully pry the rubber seal up in one spot on the new bearing using a small, sharp pocket knife and using a needle point attachment on your grease gun, give it a shot, rotate a bit and give it another. You don't want to totally fill the bearing - that's too much and will just ooze out when it gets hot - just about half full.

needle attachment.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.49 KB
 Viewed:  93 Time(s)

needle attachment.jpg

BiffTirkle

PostPosted: May 28, 2008, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this part, & why cant i find it on my other wheels?

will do, thanks!!

Forum Index -> Stock Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1