650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > green light out

green light out
    Forum Index -> Electrical
blahcap

PostPosted: May 6, 2008, 10:46 pm    Post subject: green light out

my little green light is not coming on when i have the switch on run/key in.Also no headlight high or lo beam and no amber light showing hi beam on the display above the green light.But the good news is my turn signals work and my tail/brake lights work.Any info would be appreciated.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 6, 2008, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: green light out

Always check for blown fuse/s first. Have you checked the actual bulb for the Neutral light? Corroded contacts in connector blocks cause high resistance and voltage drops. Could also check the wire from the Neutral switch coming out of the engine ( just below the carbs). Try grounding that wire to simulate "neutral".
Assume you mean the headlights not working when engine running. Some models have a starter cut-off/headlight relay which may not be working. You need to look at Haynes manual and wiring diagram to do the search for the fault.

chuck_zc

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: green light out

Do these have a large ring connector clamped to the headlight/turn signal post. Possible it may have cracked inside the headlight case.
WayneMeuir

PostPosted: May 8, 2008, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: green light out

Blahcap, if the headlight bulb is known good but will not come on, the first thing to try to do is jumper the wires on the Reserve Lighting Device. To do this, pull the seat off and it is screwed down with two screws just behind the battery. Unplug it and then on the plug that is attached to the main wiring harness, put a wire jumper from the Blue/Black to the Blue/Yellow without touching any of the other pins. Start the engine and see if the headlight comes on and if the high/low works.If this works, just put a permanent jumper in there and throw the RLD in the trash leaving all the other pins unconnected.
The Reserve Lighting Device was a really BAD idea from Yamaha. All it was for was to switch the light to high beam in the event that your low beam burned out while you were on a dark lonley road meeting an 18 wheeler. The bright beam would then blind the 18 wheeler and you would get hit head on and smushed like a bug. Seriously, if your light goes out, I think you are going to know it if it is dark, and it don't matter if it is not, so you simply do not need the RLD.

Wayne
blahcap

PostPosted: May 13, 2008, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: green light out

ok after i get my carbs on i will try that. thanx

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1