650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Electrical
phatdawg

PostPosted: May 2, 2008, 8:19 pm    Post subject: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

Well I got the CDI box out. Looks brand new inside and tested fine according to Josh Connon's test on this forum.

Can someone verify that the voltage reading to the primary side of the coil (orange wire and red/white wire) should be 12 volts DC? This is with the key on kill switch on "ON" without the starter running.

Thanks. My bike is an 83 XJ Heritage Special.
phatdawg

PostPosted: May 3, 2008, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

I guess that there is nobody remaking the CDI Units?

Does anybody know of someone who will test run these things to verify they are good or bad?

Someone have an 83 XS and willing to put my CDI on to see if it works?

How about you Sundby? Laughing

Laughing
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 3, 2008, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

If you want to send it to me I'll put on one of two running SK's
phatdawg

PostPosted: May 3, 2008, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

weekendrider wrote:
If you want to send it to me I'll put on one of two running SK's

I may do that. Laughing Very Happy

See if I can find a cheap one first. I also asked another contact the same thing. I will let you know.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 3, 2008, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

If you find a cheap one try to get two. I'll take the second if it's a 8 slot connecter.
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 3, 2008, 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

Luckly these are early 80 technology....hopefully some one can check it out and fix it........John
Photo Gallery
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

I had a Tech at the TV station I work at tell me a secret. 90% of all electrical component failures (TV's VCR's Radios etc) are simply bad solder connections....

I found with mine that years of vibration have just cracked the solder joints on the circuit board. Some careful work with a low heat solder iron (not gun) and mine was like new again.

The TCI units are designed pretty well - they have a safety shut down in them to protect the circuits - so if they don't work - odds are it is just a solder joint.

Pull the boards and carefully resolder all of the conenctions - making sure to not use too much solder or heat. (don't fry the circuit components)

You'll love the results.

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
westcoastchi

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

Did you try pulling out the transistor and replacing it with the radio shack one yet? For a couple of bucks may be worth trying before you get to far into re-soldering things.
Photo Gallery
newxs650

PostPosted: May 12, 2008, 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

phatdawg wrote:
Well I got the CDI box out. Looks brand new inside and tested fine according to Josh Connon's test on this forum.

Can someone verify that the voltage reading to the primary side of the coil (orange wire and red/white wire) should be 12 volts DC? This is with the key on kill switch on "ON" without the starter running.

Thanks. My bike is an 83 XJ Heritage Special.

I might be wrong with your but have you check your pick-up coil. the bike that i just pick-up has no spark, put in aother cdi from my running bike but still no spark. So I took off the pickup coil from the running bike and put into the new bike it start right up...... Laughing
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 13, 2008, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

Even if I changed out the tranisistor - while I had it on the bench I would touch up all the solder joints - only takes about 5 minutes. A lot less time then it takes to pull the unit out of the bike again.
Photo Gallery
phatdawg

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

I found a used one. The moment of truth will be here soon. My heart will sink if it does not spark after that.

I also purchased an aftermarked coil from MikesXS. Like I said, no spark after this and my hands go up in the air!

Confused
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

The aftermarket coil from Mikes should work fine - I have one also.
FYI on the CDI box -

It has a safety circuit - that automatically shuts it down if it looses signal from the pickup sensor (timing) from the Rotor. Make sure those connections are clean.

THE TCI (CDI) box modulates the negative to the coil - the hot side should be hot once the key is on. Check that with a voltmeter.

Photo Gallery
phatdawg

PostPosted: May 20, 2008, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

Well. I put in a known working CDI on and still no spark (no voltage to the coil). Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Dang I am out of ideas now. Thinking of taking it down to the shop. I would like to be riding now!
newxs650

PostPosted: May 20, 2008, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

phatdawg wrote:
Well. I put in a known working CDI on and still no spark (no voltage to the coil). Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Dang I am out of ideas now. Thinking of taking it down to the shop. I would like to be riding now!

hey have you check the pick-up coil? that might be the problem....
phatdawg

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

I plead ignorant now. Have looked at the schematics and not sure what that is. Have seen it come up here on the forum.

I have replaced the original coils with Mikes HP coil. And the fuse box too.

School me.
newxs650

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

phatdawg wrote:
I plead ignorant now. Have looked at the schematics and not sure what that is. Have seen it come up here on the forum.

School me.

if you have the Clymer Manuals for the yamaha 650 tiwin, then it's on page 196-198. it will tell you about the pickup coil on the 1980 and up.
newxs650

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

phatdawg wrote:

School me.

hey phatdawg when you try to turn the motor over or start the bike do you get one small weak spark at the end or any?
phatdawg

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

I don't think that there is any spark. There is 0.0 volts at the 2 wires going into the coil.

I will try and get over to the library and look a the manual soon to look at this diagnosis. Unless someone has a link to it online. Laughing Laughing
phatdawg

PostPosted: May 21, 2008, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

Could this be a problem with not getting a good ground?

Wonder what would be the other indications?
phatdawg

PostPosted: May 22, 2008, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

Well I checked out the Pickup coil and the manual says it should be between 630-770 ohms. Both coils show infinite (Black to grey and black to orange). So I guess that I found my problem Very Happy .

Now what?? Mikes has a kit for $300. Not sure I want to spend that kind of bread. Shocked Shocked
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 22, 2008, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

Again....settle down and snoop...........these seldom give out........try ebay and other salvage yards......they come off the stator by grinding the factory lock down screws off and the remaining stubs back out easily and the new pickup can be screwed on with regular screws.....then you can really fine tune the timing by swingning the pickup to good cruise....usually 2 degrees retarded....

xsjohn

pickup coil.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.14 KB
 Viewed:  153 Time(s)

pickup coil.jpg

Last edited by xsjohn on May 22, 2008, 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 22, 2008, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

Pick-up coil might even be repairable if you know someone who is good with electrical things.
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 22, 2008, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

If the plug is not resolderable.....the winding is pretty much encased in epoxy and unrepairable..........tiny guitar pickup like wire.....xsjohn
Photo Gallery
phatdawg

PostPosted: May 23, 2008, 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Continuing with CDI box (no spark) problem

False Alarm! I had the ohm meter on the wrong setting. It appear that the pickup coil is OK.

Still no spark. Must be something else.

Arms are in the air again. Wish I had a twin bike that I could analize.

Anybody buy that XS electrical DVD that is for sale. Might help me find the problem?

Confused Confused

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2