650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Spark Plug Wire Help!!!

Spark Plug Wire Help!!!
    Forum Index -> Electrical
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 27, 2008, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Spark Plug Wire Help!!!

I have some after market Coils and Spark Plug wires as well (PO put them on) I am trying to figure out how much of the actual wire should be sticking up that goes into the coil.... ( I hope I am making sense)..
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 27, 2008, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Help!!!

does it have a spike that you push the wire onto or is it the type that has a contact surface that has to touch (the wire would have a clip on connector on the end)
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 27, 2008, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Help!!!

The spike kind... After looking at various Coils on Ebay Motors I am starting to think these are either Lucas or the "knockoff" Lucas coils... That is the oaveral shape of them..... I am not sure how much of the wire needs to be in actually "out" for the spike to contact it good...

PostPosted: April 28, 2008, 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Help!!!

If it's the spike kind you shouldn't actually need any of the core hanging out the end. It's enough if the conductor is flush with the end of the insulator. Just push the spike all the way into the conductor hole at the end of the insulator and crimp it in place with a pair of pliers.

That should do the trick. But if you're the nervous type (I am) you can strip away some of the insulation and leave a bit of core (1/4 to 1/2 inch) hanging out the end. Then, when you push the spike up into the conductor hole, fold the hangy-outy conductor part up, along the outside of the insulator so it makes a nice, long contact surface against the long, outer edges of the spike that fold up against the insulator when you crimp the spike in place.

Either way will work fine.

Don't forget to use copper-core wires and NOT the braided-nylon-graphite-resistor core that the auto parts stores try to peddle. Your plastic, OEM-type resistor tips are all you need on those copper-core wires. Any additional resistance is overkill.

I'd also shitcan those Lucas coils. I have a prejudicial hangover against Lucas electrics that dates from the late sixties. Lucas is junk, as far as I'm concerned.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 28, 2008, 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Help!!!

right on
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 28, 2008, 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Help!!!

jimmythetrucker... I have heard a lot of negative about Lucas Coils as well and am about 99% certain the coils are a big pile of s***.. I have checked everything and have found that it is done to the fact its either the SP wires or the coils.... my guess is the coils.... SO what is the best replacement for the coils...
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 28, 2008, 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Help!!!

bulldog; There are many good brands out there...........I bought an Accel dual output coil last year and it works great on my 78SE (using points).
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 28, 2008, 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Help!!!

Bulldog -- whatever these other guys say about which coil is good -- I'd go with that myself because they know more about that than I do.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 28, 2008, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Help!!!

just about any new coil is going to be a improvement over a 30+ year old stock coil and you can get one with replacable plug wires while you're at it, these yam's aren't so bad but I play around with old honda's too and those molded in coil wires flat out suck big time
xsleo

PostPosted: May 4, 2008, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Help!!!

heres what i got its for an old harley chrome can dual output. came with the plug wires, one end has the plug boots molded on the other mounts to the coil with screw on cap with an oring to seal the wire to the coil. $16 + $10or $12 for shipping shipping. built the mount outta some aluminimum channel and hose clamps hangs off bottom of horn mount with a scrap of steel that was bent about right and the holes matched the holes for the horn mount.

hpim0065.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  279.68 KB
 Viewed:  74 Time(s)

hpim0065.jpg

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1