650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > swap to electric tach?

swap to electric tach?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
BoxCarPhoto

PostPosted: April 19, 2008, 11:02 pm    Post subject: swap to electric tach?

is this possible, and, even better, is there any benefit? from the little bit of having the 650 running, the tach seems to have a lot of dwell, and falls slowly, compared to the bike's actual speed, so i was thinking, maybe an electrical signal would be quicker, closer to what i'm used to?
TheDude

PostPosted: April 20, 2008, 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: swap to electric tach?

Great if you can find one that looks good and is affordable. I did this research for a different bike and found all the nice electronic tacks to be cost prohibitive ($300-$500)

PostPosted: April 20, 2008, 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: swap to electric tach?

dam who watches that dam thing anyway. only glance at it comming up through the gears hard just to make sure it isnt over tached in first and second, after that why would ya. It doesnt matter if it fluctuates. Id much rather be watching where I am going then at the pretty little needle danceing around in there case a car pulls out in front of me or a dog or a child.
BoxCarPhoto

PostPosted: April 20, 2008, 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: swap to electric tach?

roy, i'm trying to get the bike running smoothly, and it's hard to balance the carbs when the tach takes about 3 minutes to change a 1k rpm range.. LOL.

okay, so, it is possible, then.. what whire do i need to pull feed off of for signal?
royfisk

PostPosted: April 20, 2008, 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: swap to electric tach?

I use a fluke 88 digital multimeter with tach feature for tuneing. Just clamps on the plug wire. But before I had it I could get it close useing the factory tach and sound. almost always wind up with a slightly differant idle rpm from one machine to the next anyhow. also if your tach is takeing that long to come down or go up there is a issue going on with either the drive, cable, or tach itself. Just remember if you go electric that its that much more demand on a already borderline chargeing system.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 20, 2008, 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: swap to electric tach?

sounds like your tach is on the way out, if you have already lubed the cable, (not what causes it to hangup/dwell anyway) don lawson over at Yam650 @ Micapeak.Com does offer a tach/speedo rebuild service

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1