650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Mike's new cafe/sport seat?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
jralex

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Thanks Teecat.

y two up riding would be with my youngest son, and would not be for any great distance, so it sounds like a custom seat in the spirit of Mikes cafe seat may work. Going to the upholsterer tonight to get ideas and estimates.

For looks I would loose the grab bar.

TeeCat

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

pumps wrote:
TeeCat...I like your taste.

pumps... YEEEEEEEEah... lil' screamers! Razz Motorcycling's best kept secret, imho.

And jr... let me know how it goes! Leaning toward losing the grab bar per your recommendation.

TC
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Bought my 06' 250r with 10 miles on it from a guy who dropped it and separated his shoulder and never got back on it. Little teeny scrape. Now I've about 300 and something on it.It is lots of fun. Gives me the ability to tear down the XS and still have a ride. The mpg kicks ass! and the cheap insurance.
Yesterday after some knucklehead cager got in my lane I went and bought/installed the FIAMM Freeway blaster horn ( $15 @ Advance Auto)as recommended by Ninja250.org. Good and loud. Might even get one for the XS.

My Bikes

Last edited by pumps on May 6, 2008, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
jralex

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Teecat, met with the upholsterer and leaning towards buying mikes seat and modifying it by removing the cover, shortening the pan & foam, modifying the cover and reinstalling.

Couple more questions:
- what material is the pan?
- can you tell how the chrome strips are attached? Cleats, glued or thermally bonded
- how do you get to the storage in the hump?

And attached is my 'saki. Not quite as good mileage as you and pumps but still a great ride Twisted Evil

small right.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  331 Time(s)

small right.jpg

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 6, 2008, 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Love those ELR colors!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 6, 2008, 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

jralex wrote:
Teecat, met with the upholsterer and leaning towards buying mikes seat and modifying it by removing the cover, shortening the pan & foam, modifying the cover and reinstalling.

Couple more questions:
- what material is the pan?
- can you tell how the chrome strips are attached? Cleats, glued or thermally bonded
- how do you get to the storage in the hump?

And attached is my 'saki. Not quite as good mileage as you and pumps but still a great ride Twisted Evil

pumps... I wondered if you were over at Ninja250.com too! Smile

jr... I think your plan would be worth the effort. The pan is metal, and it looks as though the strips may be glued or bonded; they look too narrow to use mechanical fasteners. The storage is just a little hinged flap accessible from the underside, so you'll want your seat to flip.

Incidentally, guys, I removed my grab bar, which it does not make sense to retain, but there was a mount point at the rear center of it for the fender. I have to stabilize the fender, so I plan to use the two lateral mounting tabs (on the frame) for the grab rail, and put a hole in each side of the fender, and use an attractive bolt on each side. Should be fine. Pics when I'm done.

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 6, 2008, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

For those who suggested that I remove the grab bar, here are some piccies. I put a couple holes in the fender sides so I could use the former grab bar mounts on the frame as fender mount points. I still have to get shorter bolts, and put decorative bolts back in the defunct forward grab bar mount points.

You guys were right... I think it really cleans things up back there. Still have to decide what to do about that taillight wiring. I really don't want any more holes in this fender. Sad

TC

Photo Gallery
jralex

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Tee, looks a lot better w/o the grab bar. Wink
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 7, 2008, 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Thank you, sir! Smile Glad I took the recommendation!

TC
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 10, 2008, 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

jralex in stead of trimming the seat couldn't you just mount it a little farther back?

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
spams24

PostPosted: July 9, 2008, 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Was just wondering how thick the new seat is? Just got my girlfriend a 77' xs650 and its too tall for her. I ordered a set of 11.5" monza shocks to get the rear down, not too sure yet about how Im going to lower the front. Saw the new seat and was thinking I might be able to cheat an inch or so out of that.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 9, 2008, 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

On my ol Kawa I was able to slide the fork tubes up into the tree and get about 1 1/2 inches down on the front.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
spams24

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Tried sliding the tubes up in the triple clamps, but they run into the handlebars after about a half an inch.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

top this

100_2953.jpg
 Description:
sorry...I just had to post this
 Filesize:  184.06 KB
 Viewed:  301 Time(s)

100_2953.jpg

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 10, 2008, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Holy cow I think Ive seen better looking legs on a piano bench! just kidding! Laughing How bout this?

me on ex250 wearing helmet1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.89 KB
 Viewed:  282 Time(s)

me on ex250 wearing helmet1.jpg

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
spams24

PostPosted: July 13, 2008, 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

like mine better

0719072019.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.04 KB
 Viewed:  279 Time(s)

0719072019.jpg

PostPosted: July 13, 2008, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Teecat what headers and exhaust do you have there looks nice, hows the restriction and sound? Im stock now but maybee next season might play with the exhaust
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: July 14, 2008, 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Halotwo nice pose what's life like as a wigger??
hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 14, 2008, 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

dpmphoto wrote:
Halotwo nice pose what's life like as a wigger??

Well 1, I wouldnt know what its like to be a "wigger" and 2, thats not me in the photo.

according to wikipedia.....
Wigger (alternatively spelled wigga, whigger or whigga) is a pejorative slang term for a white person who allophilically emulates mannerisms, slang, and fashions stereotypically associated with urban African Americans and urban Black British and Caribbean culture, especially in relation to hip hop culture and British Grime/Garage scene.[1]

The term most likely stems from a portmanteau of the word white and the derogatory term nigger. The word is considered offensive by some because of its similarity to nigger in addition to reflecting stereotypical notions about urban blacks.

The phenomenon of white people adopting stereotypical black mannerisms, slang, and apparel has appeared in several generations since slavery was abolished in the western world. The concept has been documented in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and other white-majority countries. An early form of this was the white negro in the jazz and swing music scenes of the 1920s and 1930s; as examined in the Norman Mailer essay, "The White Negro: Superficial Reflections on the Hipster"." It was later seen in the Zoot suiter of the 1930s and 1940s; the hipster of the 1940s; and the beatnik and r
ock and roller of the 1950s.

Wow, not even 10 posts and I have racial slurs being thrown at me. Thanks brother

TeeCat

PostPosted: July 14, 2008, 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Great pics, guys! Love these lil' rockets! Smile

Joseph, you mean on the Ninja? They're slightly modded intermediate pipes with Supertrapp race cans. It actually is not overly loud... sounds like a small-displacement Ducati, really. I can point you to my how-to thread over at the Ninja forum if you're interested.

TC
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 14, 2008, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Teecat I think I may have seen that thread but point me anyway just in case....:)

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: July 14, 2008, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

No actualy the xs ? thanks though. Mybee they are stock headers for that year they look longer as to where the muffeler joins the header. Also like the mufflers wered ya get em.
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: July 14, 2008, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

I was talking about the idiot on the motorcycle for a bunch of so called bikers you guys are so politically correct it borders on well never mind.
penn71911

PostPosted: July 14, 2008, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Politically correct??? No... it's called being POLITE. Learn it.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3