650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Mike's new cafe/sport seat?
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Hi, guys...

Have you seen Mike's new Sport/Cafe style seat to fit 1974-79 "Standard" models? I really like it. It's designed for '74^ standards, but can anyone think of a reason why it would not fit my stock-framed '73 TX? I can't imaging that the '73 and '74 frames would be that different.

Anyone? I REALLY love that seat!

TC
Photo Gallery
NateDogg

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

I think there is a difference, either in the hinge locations and latch or something else minor........if it were me, I'd get it and make it work!!!
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN FRAME FROM 73 TO 74. 73 IS SIMILAR IN STYLE TO 71 AND 72. YOU CAN ALWAYS MAKE SOMETHING WORK BUT I AM SURE YOUCOULD MAKE ONE OUT OF YOUR CURRENT SEAT BY CUTTING DOWN THR FOAM RESHAPING IT AND HAVING THE SEAT RECOVERED.
SORRY CAP LOCK

KYLE
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 17, 2008, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Guys, in looking at pics of a '74 frame on the web:

www.650motorcycles.com/NeilT.html

it appears that the hinge mount positions are close to that of the '73. If the new seat will fit the frame, and all that's needed is putting new '73 hardware (from Mike's) on the new seatpan, it seems like it might not be that difficult.

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Okay, these are in stock, evidently, and I ordered one, with a set of '73 hinges. It should accommodate the frame rails on my '73, and as soon as I get it and get it installed, I'll let you all know how it works. It can't be that difficult to put a '74 seatpan on a '73.

y current seat has been okay to start with, but a proper sport seat will just make this bike, imho.

TC
Photo Gallery
NateDogg

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

I agree, it looks very similar to the giulari seats that seemed popluar for the hondas back in the day...every once in a while you'll see one on ebay for several hundred bucks. I don't think you'll have much trouble getting it on your bike. Can't wait to see it.
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Nate, you're right. I don't see how it can be that hard. I'm quite sure the frame will accommodate the seat... it should be just a matter of moving the hinges if needed. I have a latch from my existing seat that should work, and I picked up a set of '73 hinges in case the '74s that come with the seat don't work. I'm excited about the prospect of having a proper roadster seat.

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 29, 2008, 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Guys...

Just wanted you to know that I took delivery of the cafe seat from Mike's yesterday. I have been so busy that I haven't even had time to sit it on the frame rails, but I did inspect it. It looks like a really nice piece - much nicer than the picture on Mike's site - and I don't think the actual mating the seat to the frame will be an issue; the fitment of the hinges might be the only thing... not sure yet. I have the hinges that shipped with the seat, and a set of '73s, so I'll have to see what I need to do, but I should be able to get it to work somehow. Pics coming when I get a chance.

TC
Photo Gallery
NateDogg

PostPosted: April 29, 2008, 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Call out sick and put the damn seat on......I wanna check it out!!!
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 29, 2008, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Nate, I set it on the frame, and it fits fine (and looks awesome!), except I'll have to add some rubber pads so that the seat's (and my) weight actually rest on the frame as opposed to the rear loop.

I put the front '73 hinge on the seat - had to enlarge the holes a tad, and it's perfectly fine. The rear hinge mount on the frame, however, is further rearward than the rear hinge on the seat, so I'll have to use my head and figure out how to mount the '73 rear hinge to the seat. Then I'll have to mount the '73 latch hook to the seat, but that should be minor.

This is definitely a proper seat for this bike and should involve no more issues than mounting other types of cafe seats.

I might be able to snap a pic or two even before I get it hinged.

TC
Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: April 30, 2008, 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Snap a pic and post I was thinking of getting one myself but wasnt sure how good they looked considering the pic they used in the online catalog. Is it heavy duty or does it feel cheap to you??? Are those letters screen printed on or can you peel them off?
NateDogg

PostPosted: May 2, 2008, 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Cool, I went with a manx pattern seat on my cafe, if these had been out a couple weeks earlier I would have bought one
sideburns

PostPosted: May 2, 2008, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

I've been looking for a cafe seat for my xs for a long time, and the new seat at Mikes' XS looks really promising, so I'm just about to order one ( according to Heiden Tuning they'll have it in stock in a few weeks time). However, before spending 180 Euros ( ca 300 USD) + on a new seat, it would have been nice to see a picture of the seat mounted on an XS. For best looks, I'll have to look for another gas tank (mine is original), any suggestions which will fit with small modifications ?

David
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 4, 2008, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

All...

As promised, here are some piccies of my '73 TX with Mike's cafe seat mounted. I think I have worked out a way to use the rear mount (on the frame) and the '74 rear hinge on the new seat. The front hinge is the '73.

In my opinion, this seat is a proper one for this bike, which is not a pure cafe, but more of a solo roadster with some cafe and bobber elements. The seat fits the frame nicely, though I have to extend the rubber bumpers a bit so that my weight is born by them entirely. The seat is a nice piece.

As you can see from one pic, I extended the rear hinge mount forward to the hinge itself by using a heavy piece of stainless steel wire and shaping it accordingly, to contain a rubber-bushed loop as a mount point. It's not weight bearing; all it does is allow the seat to retain the flip-up functionality. It does not have to be bulletproof.

I had to use a couple self-starting screws to mount my latch to the bottom of the pan, but there's plenty of distance between the vinyl and the pan. I still need to paint the latch gloss black.

As far as I know, this may be the debut of Mike's cafe seat on this site, so I hope you all like it.

TC

Photo Gallery
tweedy64

PostPosted: May 4, 2008, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Looks real nice mate bet your happy with it. cheers tweedy
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 4, 2008, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

looks good, when you give the girls a ride they will have to snuggle up close, which is a good thing! one thing i might do is drill a hole down behind the tail light. run the wiring through the new hole. maybe even remove the grab bar and turn signal mounts. it would cleanup the look of the fender.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 4, 2008, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Cool look. Something that caught my eye in the second to the last picture, is how the line of the back of the tank flows into the line of the front of the seat....I like that.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 4, 2008, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

i was just looking at your wrie on the seat hinge, could you get a piece made that would have a tube to match the seat hinge, welded to a flat steel strip that could be bent to go along frame with a hole to mount under shock bolt. paint it black and it would look stock.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
newxs650

PostPosted: May 4, 2008, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

it's about bro for the pic..... looks nice!!!!!!!!!
NateDogg

PostPosted: May 4, 2008, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

that's a nice damn seat.......that is absolutely the correct seat for an xs cafe......that's like the holy grail of xs seats as far as I'm concerned ..
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Guys, thank you very much for the positive responses. Hopefully this thread will resolve the "suitable seat for my cafe bike" dilemma so often faced, especially for the owners of '74 through '79 bikes, for whom it would be a straight up bolt-on.

leo... I'm not sure what I'm going to do on turn signals yet... hence the remaining grab bar and visible wire sleeve for the taillight.

And I suppose I could go out and have something made, but I don't know a fabricator. I might shoot this black and let it serve it's purpose for a bit.

TC
Photo Gallery
jralex

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Teecat, seat looks great on your bike. I think this seat is the proper seat for that cafe look.

I too was interested, however I am going to use an XS 750/850 tank which is longer than the stock tank, requiring the front of the seat to be trimmed.

Couple of questions:
- With this seat, can you ride two up?
- How is the bump in the rear made? some vinyl covered foam or fiberglass, etc.

kind of disapointed I can not use one of these because yours looks schweeet Cool

Thanks for the pictures!

TeeCat

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

Thanks, jr...

Well... you could ride two-up, I suppose, if the pilot scootched up a bit. I don't though; my other bike is a Ninja 250R, so I'm used to pressing my hips rearward and my back more flat.

The bumstop is likely mainly foam, but it seems pretty firm. The pan is steel. But if you are having a longer tank, this seat will be too long, you're right.

jr, what do you think... should I remove the grab bar?
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 5, 2008, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's new cafe/sport seat?

TeeCat...I like your taste.

toys1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.56 KB
 Viewed:  360 Time(s)

toys1.jpg

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3