650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > battery won't charge while installed?

battery won't charge while installed?
    Forum Index -> Electrical
BoxCarPhoto

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 3:09 pm    Post subject: battery won't charge while installed?

is this a normal thing, or is there an issue with the electrical system? i put a tender on, over night, pulled the charger this afternoon, hit the starter, and it did nothing.
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: battery won't charge while installed?

My battery charges from a charger just fine when it is hooked up in the bike.

either you have a battery that won't take a charge -
or your charger doesn't work -

Or you have a short in your wiring that is drawing more current than the charger puts out. (nothing left to charge the battery)

If it charges out of the bike - inspect your bike for a short.

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
BoxCarPhoto

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: battery won't charge while installed?

the tender definitely works, it's the one my dad uses on his harley.

i've pulled the battery and am letting it charge indoors.. where would you recommend starting to look for shorts?
jimdi
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: battery won't charge while installed?

First of all - I would make sure the battery takes a charge.
Then double check to see that everything (ALL SWITCHES) are turned off.

If the battery holds a charge and is good - then start looking for shorts.
(battery is charged and installed for this test----- bike is off)

The easiest way is to start pulling fuses - one by one and put a volt meter across the fuse terminals - if you get voltage it means that you have found a circuit that is drawing power (short or item is turned on).

Ideally you will not get any voltage across any fuse holder.

I don't know if the charging system is fused at he fuse box - but the brass rings on the rotor should be 5 ohms or more between the brass rings with NO brushes installed - and INFINATE between each brass ring and ground.

Start with these and see what you find.

www.cafepress.com/650motorcycle
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 15, 2008, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: battery won't charge while installed?

check the rectifier the red wire from the battery branchs, one leg to key switch and another to the rectifier, if the rectifier diodes are bad the battery is going to ground, dead battery R.I.P.

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1