650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Flattracker - Streettracker > > A candidate.

A candidate.
    Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker
jfboy
Moderator Tracker Stuff
Moderator Tracker Stuff

PostPosted: January 7, 2006, 1:49 am    Post subject: A candidate.

Look at this deal.

The guy wants $1200.00

Damn always good deals(I think) around when I'm broke. Hopefully I sell one of my projects that are FS before he gets rid of it.

Only 7k miles, he said he cleaned carbs, installed points and plugs adjusted valves, cam chain, replaced front fork seals and dust covers

That would be a good start for a tracker right there.

PostPosted: January 8, 2006, 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

I don't think a clean stock bike is a good candidate for a tracker, leave it stock. In my mind a good candidate for a tracker is a mechanically sound bike with bad cosmetics since you're going to replace all the stock stuff anyway. It'd cost you way less than a clean bike too.
xs650mike

PostPosted: January 8, 2006, 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

That last post was mine, I forgot to log in, sorry!

XS650H Special II 750 kit
XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage
XS1100SF XS Eleven Special

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now!"
Photo Gallery
xs650mike

PostPosted: January 8, 2006, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

Here's what I would consider a candidate for a streettracker or chop. I got this bike for free and it has a 750 kit installed!

XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage

Photo Gallery
jfboy
Moderator Tracker Stuff
Moderator Tracker Stuff

PostPosted: January 8, 2006, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

Well there is almost never any xs's FS in my area. This one is cheap, got a title and the parts I pull off it are so clean I'm sure I can get good cash from them.
xs650mike

PostPosted: January 8, 2006, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

Betcha if you keep your eyes and ears open you will find some really cheap or free for the taking XS650s around, it just takes some patience and perserverance. You live in the South where the XS650 was really popular. Here in California they're relatively rare, I was just looking for something cheap to use as a parts bike and after a couple months with my ear to the ground I found this one. It had been parked for 10 years and the engine was frozen. I got it unstuck by soaking the pistons with MMO and diesel fuel and now it's a strong runner. I'll probably wind up put the engine in my fairly cherry '82 Heritage that's got a holed piston. The bike you posted a picture of is certainly worth $1200 but I just think you could do better. It's a shame to break down a bike as complete as that one is, it's more of a candidate for restoration to original condition than conversion to street tracker. You are correct in that you could sell off a bunch of the stock parts to help reduce your cost of purchase. It's up to you.

XS650SJ Heritage
XS400SJ Heritage

Photo Gallery
jfboy
Moderator Tracker Stuff
Moderator Tracker Stuff

PostPosted: January 9, 2006, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

I've been looking for a good 3 months now... If I can scrape the cash together, I'll buy it.
royfisk

PostPosted: September 17, 2006, 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

I have to agree with mike its not often to get one in that condition unrestored. History prooves that unrestored clean bikes eventually are worth more then even fully restored bikes. This bike you have pictured here would be a excellent daily rider. If you are serious about building a tracker or cafe the cost of starting with the bike pictured would cost far more then with what I call a rat bike. Hint put up fliers at as many covienance stores as you can find in your area stateing that you are looking for ts or xs 650 motorcycles in any condition, then state in higghlighted letters ( SOME WORTH CASH AND SOME ARE NOT). I did this where I live and thought there to be very few bikes around, guess what a month later I had 6 more bikes in my stable and less then $100 investment. Also I have lines on 4 bikes worth my purchase to buy and clean up for resale for next summer. The parts on the bike you are looking at are worth money but I doubt that it would make up the differance of the cost of a rat bike. good luck
guelah

PostPosted: September 18, 2006, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

I'd have to agree with xsmike. I bought 1 with a tracker in mind but it was in such good condition I couldn't stand the idea of rippin her down. I'll try to post some pics of the 2 I bought after that I'll have no problem (ahem) rippin apart. I'll try to get them up soon.
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: September 18, 2006, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

Jfboy; To bad you live so far away I would set you up with a rolling chasis and engine for $150.00 . But have you tried your local motorcycle salvage yards??? For a tracker your not looking for good clean body parts basically a rolling chasis, fuel tank, electrical items, everything else is pretty much aftermarket. Try the posters at the convienance stores too. Or run a add in the local newspaper for a xs/tx in any condition. I would try for a 77 or newer just so you dont have to play the fork game. but by all means take what comes down the road. You can always pass along what you dont want and maybe even make a dime.
tracker79

PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

I realize we are dealin with jap bikes here, but the language around here is english. Anybody know what this is? I`m not clickin on it.
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 25, 2006, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

It looks like bot dumped advertising.
Photo Gallery
FD

PostPosted: October 30, 2006, 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

(Post content deleted by admin it was junk text full of links and other code - spam post)
jetmechmarty

PostPosted: November 1, 2006, 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

jfboy, where in Georgia are you? I'm near Atlanta and I see XS650's often. Some months ago I picked one up in the junkyard for $30 and there's plenty there for a project. I had another one given to me shortly thereafter. I found another one this summer that I still need to pick up. These bikes aren't rare.

I'm picking up two junkers in the morning to part out on eBay for a friend. There are about 7 XS650's in this pile. All have been languishing in this junkyard for how long is any ones guess.

They say anyone can restore one, but it takes a real man to cut one up. It just isn't in me to tear up a nice one.

arty (in Georgia)

jfplaying
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 1, 2006, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

The first cut is always the hardest, after that it just becomes a pain in the butt. As long as you have doing it, Who cares?
phenhere

PostPosted: November 21, 2006, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Cheap Soma and Tramadol

Only for community 650rider.com! HOT!
1.Cheap TramadolNo Prior Prescription Required. US Based Pharmacy, US Licensed Doctors, Free Online Consultation. Fedex Overnight Shipping.
2.Accepting Credit cards or C.O.D. Soma Free FedEx shipping . FDA approved Medications & U.S. Licensed Pharmacists
Sergesnets

PostPosted: December 8, 2006, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Buy Cheap Tramadol - FREE SHIPPING

Only for community 650rider.com! HOT!
1.Cheap TramadolNo Prior Prescription Required. US Based Pharmacy, US Licensed Doctors, Free Online Consultation. Fedex Overnight Shipping.
2.Your All American Pharmacy. U.S. Medications, U.S. Doctors, U.S. Pharmacy. Discreet Packaging, FREE 3 Day Shipping, Next Day Air Available. VISA, COD's and Virtual Checks accepted. LIVE Customer Service Agents ready to assist you. FREE Consultation. Chep soma only herer
Barrett

PostPosted: January 23, 2007, 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

Well, I wouldn't cut that slick of a bike up, I would make a Cafe Racer of it though. Like change bars and tires, maybe a cafe style seat and some bar end mirrors.

I like the idea of posting flyers.

Put and ad in the Sunday paper: Wanted to Buy, XS 650 Yamaha, 1969-1983. Running or not, title or not, all or part. Call before my wife finds out what I am up to!

They will be coming out of the woodwork. XS's were the longest continually imported* version/model of a motorcycle so far... Give more for titles and running bikes(in my state it costs about $200 to get a title). Take note of carbs, wheels, headers, filters and any other aftermarket parts. If you want one that runs, give a little more, let the ad run a couple of weeks(they are cheap), and talk to everyone that calls, go look at every bike, even if it is a Yamaha or not, sometimes you find Triumph's & BSA's or other stuff you can trade for XS 650 stuff.

PS: It helps the prices if you have a bike already in your pickup (like you just bought it, borrow a pickup if you don't have one, go ahead and buy tie down straps and a board/ramp) Or, you can say, "Well I have two more bikes to look at today, I will call you back."

The HARDEST PART is not getting in a hurry or acting too ANXIOUS, sometimes the deals go smooth if they soak a few days to a week.

Last lesson: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS HAVE CASH TO PAY FOR THE BIKE!!! It is just as easy to write a '9' as it is to write a '1' on a check, no checks, no credit cards, cash $100 bills work wonders if you say "Look, ***waving or counting them out*** I have this much to give.
danno

PostPosted: February 22, 2007, 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

Barrett states that the XS was the most continually imported bike... What about the V-Max,1985 to present?
dude

PostPosted: February 22, 2007, 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

It was the best selling Yamaha. Still is. Yes, the max has been in production longer but hasn't moved a million units per year like the xs did.
danno

PostPosted: February 22, 2007, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

dude wrote:
It was the best selling Yamaha. Still is. Yes, the max has been in production longer but hasn't moved a million units per year like the xs did.

Thanks for the clarification,dude...consider me "enlightened".
Barrett

PostPosted: March 3, 2007, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A candidate.

When I got the numbers...the V-max had not been around that long. And, I do not know about total production numbers, consider me enlightend to!!! I always thought the V-max was cool because it was designed soley for US of A consumption.

Forum Index -> Flattracker - Streettracker All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1