650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
Radar

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 9:53 am    Post subject: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

I'm wondering how much you guys paid for your bike/bikes; how much have you invested, what improvements have you made, and what does it look like now.

Before and after pics would be interesting.

Just a thought-

Eric M.
5twins

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

Mine came to me as a non-running freebie but didn't remain "free" for long Confused I figure I've spent at least $800 on the old girl over the last several years but that's really not bad at all considering what I ended up with. I've got a pretty much sorted, good running full sized motorcycle I could take just about anywhere. Now that the wheels are respoked and all the alloy polished, it's starting to look very good as well.

What have I done to it? Well, pretty much everything. I like to get a bike up and running and then "ride 'n' wrench" to work the bugs out. The guy who gave it to me said it was a good running bike. He parked it because the clutch cable broke. It sat for 7 or 8 years before I got it. It was totally filthy, covered with oil, some rust, corroded alloy, the usual. I got her runnin' with a minimum of parts replacement and then started chippin' away at the (long) list of little problems and needed fixes.

Here's a before and shortly after completion shot. The bike has evolved a bit more since then with the addition of removable hard bags, Mike's Commando mufflers, and a soft tail bag. The aftermarket Pro-Lift (I think) rear shocks have been replaced with Konis.

xs650 before.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.86 KB
 Viewed:  101 Time(s)

xs650 before.jpg

xs650 after.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.5 KB
 Viewed:  104 Time(s)

xs650 after.jpg

Barbara

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

Hi Guys,

No pics, but according to my journal, I paid $1295.00 for Jaelith in February of 1978. I'm her second owner from new. In 1984 she was parked, and I rode a succession of Nortons and BSAs for years, while the Yammie waited patiently. Last Fall I decided it was her turn, and have rebuilt the engine and gone over the bike generally, as well as finding and fitting a sidecar. I have about $900.00 into the sidecar, and about $300.00 into the rebuild. Much cheaper than rebuilding a Brit bike!! (And way more reliable, too!)

When I finish her, I'll borrow a digital camera and get a picture to post.

She's earned it!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
indyjay

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

I paid $700 for mine off my best buddy after he bought a new C50 and didn't have the extra room in his garage. I told him, "Dave, if you sell that 650 to ANYBODY, it has to be to me!"

Altogether, I've maybe put $250 in it for badges, different handlebars, 30T rear sprocket, chain, MikesXS coil, plug wires and iridium plugs. But other than that it's all stock. I probably got one the best 650 deals around for the condition and miles (just under 15K). Had almost 11K on it when I bought it last year. Love my 650! Razz

650-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.36 KB
 Viewed:  106 Time(s)

650-2.jpg

653.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.56 KB
 Viewed:  87 Time(s)

653.jpg

Last edited by indyjay on March 24, 2008, 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

I have four XS650s, only one of which runs at the moment. I bought my '81 SH in 2000 and paid $600 for it. It had 10k miles on the clock:

It needed an alternator rotor and the shift shaft spring (tiny little thing that, if broken or missing, will cause the tranny to miss shifts). In the eight years I've owned it, I've spent maybe $300 on maintenance and repair items. I don't count maintenance and repair costs against the investment outlay (except perhaps for the cost of the replacement rotor, since that was the main reason why I was able to buy a clean runner for only $600) because any motor vehicle will have these expenses, and I've also had the use of it for the past eight years.

In 2002, I bought an '80 SG and a '77 D from a guy at a motorcycle swap meet. I paid $350 for the pair. The '80 has a title, is in decent shape, and could be running with a small amount of effort on my part. The '77D was in very rough shape, and was the original bike I had in mind for my cafe project.

80SG -- I've since replaced the seat cover:

77D (with 75 tank) after I removed the engine and hosed it down:

In 2007, I bought a 78E and a very early 1970 XS1 (508th XS made). I paid $500 for the pair. More than I wanted to, really. The 78 was in decent shape, but had sat for a long time. Most of it was there. Unfortunately, the XS1 was in very poor condition, missing all the bodywork and the rear wheel. It also had no title, wheras the 78 did. I ended up selling the front wheel, the motor, and the frame, and recouped all but $75 of my initial outlay.

78E right after I bought it:

XS1 frame after I pulled the motor:

XS1 motor:

The 78E has become my new cafe project bike. It has a title, whereas the 77 doesn't, plus it's just in nicer overall condition. To read more about my cafe project, go here: Michael's Cafe Project

So, for my four XS's, I have a total of around $1125 invested in terms of initial outlay (adding in the cost of the rotor for the 81, and deducting the sales of the XS1 parts). Sounds about right.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
TheDude

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

I certainly paid too much for my '78 standard (against the advice of the folks on this forum). The thing has 31K miles and had been sitting for ten years. It was bone stock and looked super clean, and it apperintly needed only a rectifier. So I gave the guy the $1000 he was asking for it (he wouldn't budge on the price).
when I got it home, I found that everything that was rubber was shot. Also, all the bearings (swing arm pivits, head bearings, etc) were shot as was the front brake caliper.
Now I have given Mike's XS about $500 for miscilanious parts and I still have to buy tires and a few other tidbits. It will be a $2000 motorcycle by the time it's on the road.
It may not be worth it (blue book wise), but it will be worth it to me.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

I bought mine off craigslist from a guy about 10 minutes from me. He was asking $750 I think and I offered $500 and he came back with $550 so I bit.
It ran decently but has been dropped at some point. The tach was busted up,found wrong year one on ebay, have since got correct one. Ebayed a NOS 76 chrome headlight bucket to replace the egg shaped OEM black one. Headlight/fork ear are bent and have bought some decent used ones. It was missing the chain guard and I got a sort of rusty one and have stripped it to bare metal but not painted it yet. Tires are good but rims and spokes need relacing and polishing. Installed rear shoes, and adjuster linkage. Have pads for front just not on yet.Tank paint is decent except for a small spot on the left and the decal is scratched. Sidecovers are worse because of battery acid splatters. The whole thing could use a paint. Seats good. Runs decent but could be better and will get to that first. Parts I have accumulated about $200 worth plus the purchase price. Oh and a new gel battery and battery box from an XS chop that got shut down.So say $250

xs650 pics 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  273.14 KB
 Viewed:  89 Time(s)

xs650 pics 001.jpg

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
Radar

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

Wow-

ost of you spent way less than I did... wish I'd found this forum first...

5Twins- Your seventy-eight would be a "twin" a twin of mine... if mine were a lot nicer. I'd like to see a full shot of your 78's seat. Is that a custom or aftermarket cover? Did you use new foam? ...very nice...

I bought mine, a 78E standard, through ebay for $1,240. It was in the kind of shape that I thought warranted such a price. Actually, I thought it was an OK deal considering it looked better than pretty good, rode well, and ran better than fair.

I'm not sorry I bought it. Within the next $300, with what I've learned here, I think I'll be able to have it looking much better, and I've already been able to get it running strong-strong-strong, without smoke and without engine noise.

I just hope I'll find a way to keep it running this strong with tolorable noise levels...

I hope more of you folks will contribute to this thread...

Thanks,

Eric M.
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

Well I purchased my project XS650 for 160... the previous owner had been hired by a bank to foreclose on a house and the bike was sitting in it... after a certain amount of time the bank hired him to clear out everything.. so he took the bike and i gave him pity money for it... I will upload the pics of it hopefully tonight..

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

Radar wrote:

I bought mine, a 78E standard, through ebay for $1,240. It was in the kind of shape that I thought warranted such a price. Actually, I thought it was an OK deal considering it looked better than pretty good, rode well, and ran better than fair.

If it's a good runner in clean condition, I think that's a fair price. The 78E "standard" is a very desirable bike.

Once I get my cafe running, I will begin to thin down my stable somewhat. One of the bikes I plan to sell is my '81. Not as desirable as yours, but I'll be asking about $1200 for it, and I'll likely get it too. The prices for clean, running XS650s are slowly increasing.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
5twins

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

The previous owner told me he had the seat redone locally at an auto re-upholstery place. Although it resembles the original pattern, it's not a 100% match. The vinyl is very heavy, thicker than stock, and they did a very good job. I don't know if the foam was replaced but I kinda think so. It's very comfortable and I doubt 30 year old foam would be this good Very Happy

seat.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.41 KB
 Viewed:  88 Time(s)

seat.jpg

silverfox

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

you guys are so lucky in the USA i bought mine for £1700 nine years ago and its still only worth about the same now, but we dont have the mikes xs hear or any one that deals just with xs 650 we have to depend on ebay or scrap yards. cheep bikes and cheep parts what a dream Mad its blue now

019.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.11 KB
 Viewed:  83 Time(s)

019.jpg

nj1639

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

601.00 for this one.

Under a hundred for this one.

The junker has paid for itself many times over, and the experience of rebuilding the first one is inestimable. Hoping for another real soon.
Any clue as to what kind of muffler is on that junker?

drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

Hi...just bought mine off eBay for $710.00. Will cost me $175 to get it shipped here. It's a 78 XS650SE. Will post pics when it arrives.

Dave
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

5twins wrote:
I don't know if the foam was replaced but I kinda think so. It's very comfortable and I doubt 30 year old foam would be this good Very Happy

I just replaced the seat cover on my '76 BMW R90/6. The seat still had the original foam and it was still in good shape. I think that, as long as the foam is not exposed to the elements (especially UV radiation) for too long a period of time, it will last quite a while. I also replaced the cover on my 80 SG a couple years ago. Same story with it -- even though the old vinyl was torn and separated, the foam had not begun to deteriorate, and I suspect it's because the bike was garage kept.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
74yamabob

PostPosted: March 24, 2008, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

I paid $400 and have another $400 in her.
Photo Gallery
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

well here is some pics i took the other day before i started working on it
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

I pd $350 for mine. That represents about 10% of the total investment..............................

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

I paid $500 for my 1972 model. Only thing I'm using is the engine (totally rebuilt - new pistons etc.) and the frame.

I sold the red/white tank, sidecovers, headlight ears and seat for $340 on eBay, the forks went for $50, and I've got more to sell. So really, I'm into it for $100 for the engine and frame.

As it was:

Currently:

xsjohn

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

How many gallons is the tank....front fender...?...gonna be a beauty when your done I bet........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

Oh that snow looks sooo cold! But the bike looks hot!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
tintin

PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

The tank is a good 6 gallons - it's pretty darned big. I'll likely run a simple front fender - probably black fibreglass on alloy mounts like you see here:

Radar

PostPosted: April 3, 2008, 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

...WOW!
BeanerBiker

PostPosted: April 4, 2008, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy, folks- How much did you pay for your bike...more

I paid notta...it was given to me.. but we will see how much goes into it! Twisted Evil
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2