650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Links to a Caf' seat needed...

Links to a Caf' seat needed...
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 22, 2008, 8:04 am    Post subject: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent Caf'racer seat pan for sale over in Yankland ?
Even though we 'invented' Caf racers no-one makes the seats for Jap projects here...
Cheers
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 23, 2008, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

I bought one from eBay seller cyclesurvival1. I went with his large size, which is actually wider than needed for the XS frame. I note now that he's now offering a medium size cafe seat, but according to the dimensions he lists, it will not be wide enough to fit over the XS650 frame rails at the front of the seat.

The seat I bought is very well made -- close to 1/8" thick. It is about 9" wide at the front and 11" wide at the bum-stop rise. I find the width at the front of the seat to be uncomfortable when I put my feet down. What I plan to do to deal with this is to cut a narrow pie-shaped piece out of the top of the seat along each edge, from the front back to the bumstop. Then I will bend the edges in to the cut line and reglass. This will give me a taper that will match the frame, and it should be more comfortable when putting my feet down.

It seems to me that one could do similarly with the medium sized seat that he is making, but instead of bringing the sides in, bending them out a bit to clear the frame rails, then glass and fill the seat to fit the frame contour.

There is also the seat that 1hotwing sells on eBay. At 8.5" in front and 9.5" at the bumstop, it should also fit over the XS frame rails. But as is the case with cyclesurvival1's seat, for me to be comfortable, I'd have to take in the taper some, cuz 8.5" at the front is too wide for me.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
Mikesxs

PostPosted: March 23, 2008, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

Cafe Seats for "standards" coming to Mikes XS and his distributors in the next few weeks (on ocean now). Also XS1/2 Stock seats and "standard" model stock seats (Steel pans & mounting hardware included).

Mike
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 23, 2008, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

Dang! Wish I would have known this a couple weeks ago.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 18, 2008, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

MikesXS...

I e-mailed you (Tom). Will your seat fit over the frame rails and rear loop on a stock '73 TX frame? If all I have to do is buy some '73 hinges and move them to where my mount points need them to be, this might work for me.

Thank you!

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

FYI... just went to order one of these seats and they're out of stock; no further information provided. Lovely.

TC
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

I'm just starting production of caf seats if anyones intrested...
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

Sir, can you provide some more information, please?

TC
Photo Gallery
Jeffery

PostPosted: April 21, 2008, 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

I have one of the Hotwings bubble (roadrace) seats upholstered with snaps down the side. This seat will not cover the frame of my 77D. I have not used the seat as I want a seat that will cover the frame rails. The seat although unused and never mounted is showing cracking where the snaps were inserted into the fiberglass. I think this outer surface is called the gelcoat. I have since got the cycle survival seat myself and it does clear the frame rails. I have shortened the seat somewhat to my liking and it comes unupholstered. Finding a suitable seat for this bike has been a real pain. I would have preferred the rear bubble have been rounded but the Cyclesurvival seat comes with a pointed tail. I didn't think finding a nice seat was going to be so much hassle. I have looked at many places on the net Hotwings, Glass From The Past, and others but few offer anything specific to our bike. I have seen some who have made their own pan with 16 ga steel and the rear bubble made out of a motorcycle gas tank cut in two that looked better then some of the seats offered. I am waithing for someone to start producing a upholstered (snaps) nice looking seat that bolts on.
Jeffery

Last edited by Jeffery on April 22, 2008, 12:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Jeffery

PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

I would check very closely the measurements given on some of these seats. I think some may be giving outside diameter measurements which could really screw ya over if your trying to have the seat fit over the frame rails and thinking it was inside measurements. I was wondering if a couple of length of 1" aluminum angle ran down the length of the frame rails with some 16 ga. sheet metal riveted to the top of it would work for a seat pan. One side of the angle would hide the frame rails and the other side would be riveted to the 16 ga. to form the seat platform. If you plan on putting snaps down the sides nobody is going to see the aluminum angle anyway. Then if you could just form that bubble at the rear and cover the thing. I have removed the crossbrace and welded in a 3/16 " crossbrace in place to bolt my seat to. The underside of my seat will have some stiff 1" thick solid insulation that will adjust for height and provide the fiberglass a bit of cushion and other then that the seat will set right down on the frame rails.
Jeffery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 23, 2008, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

Mines based on a re-worked flatracker seat that Ive been selling on Ebay for a couple of years,the base is specifically for the Xs & follows the frame contours exacctly. Should be ready for sale in a week or so. Cost around £40
Photo Gallery
Loco

PostPosted: September 6, 2008, 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

well have the cafe seats be made ?
if so do you have a link or a photos
j
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 7, 2008, 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

Its been a busy summer riding so had no time ! Hopefully start working on them again in the next few weeks !
Photo Gallery
Loco

PostPosted: September 7, 2008, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

its just spring here just about to start riding again
looking fwd to the finished product
j
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 8, 2008, 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Links to a Caf' seat needed...

We've had 6 weeks solid rain(& its STILL raining), kids have been on school hols so the missus wanted the car Ive had to get soaked on the bike..Shouldve spent some more time in the shed really & sorted this seat ...... Embarassed
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1