650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > mikes performance parts

mikes performance parts
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
royfisk

PostPosted: February 25, 2008, 7:40 pm    Post subject: mikes performance parts

It was to my understanding that mike had the bigbore kit developed for his business. But ive seen it at 650 central, now on e-bay. In other peoples stores also the same cams and kits are in someone elses stores. whats going on here.
Mikesxs

PostPosted: February 25, 2008, 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Roy: We develop the parts, submit the samples, drawings, tooling money, orders and the funds ($$$$$$$$$$$) needed to get the parts makers to deliver. I sell to whoever wants them. I turn every dollar I can from sales back to paying for the next new item (it's fortunate that I never needed to make a living from this). Some customers buy and resell and we do not object to what they do with the part once it leaves our door. Mikes XS is the Only supplier doing this and it is only possible as I have over 30 years of experience Distributing, Exporting and importing from Asian suppliers. My distributors in Netherlands, Germany and Japan contribute idea's and visit the factories with me to contribute knowledge. This is a "retirement hobby" of mine at this point and suppliers everywhere can't believe we put this unheard of effort into this old bike.

Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
Shannon60

PostPosted: February 25, 2008, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Well Mike I gotta say I think your doing a great job!!! and all your efforts are much apreciatted!!!
royfisk

PostPosted: February 25, 2008, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Mike I hope you will have the low price on these and keep it affordable for us cause you are the one that deserves the profits not the guy who buys from you as we all do and then marks it up. you are the one who invested in the product. thank you
Razar

PostPosted: August 20, 2008, 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Yeah. I think your doing a great job Mike.
In Australia parts seem to be made of platinum or unobtainium. Even with the high cost of airfreight your parts come in at a good price, and you've got just about everything.
y project would have been very dificult without your wonderful service. I'm waiting for a parcel now.
Thank you
Ed
Mikesxs

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

For those looking for New Rocker Arms (now unavailable from Yamaha) , I am announcing that we have had some Performance type arms with Elephant foot adjusters in the works. These have been in development for about 20 months and should be available by April/09 (3,000pc. in production now). Each rocker weighs about 148 grams and has the Elephant foot type adjuster with locknut included (3mm. Hex socket on top, made for these Rockers only). Estimated rocker assy. price is
US $99.00/Set/4 which is a low price considering that it costs about $60-$80.00 to have one old rocker refaced.

Mike Lalonde @ Mikes XS
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: December 19, 2008, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

I too really appreciate the nature and practice of Mikes business operations. He really facilitates what we all try to do with these old machines. I'm trying to do likewise with a couple of other air cooled twins brands of similar vintage. It's much tougher sledding without a "MikesXS" type of specialized supply as many of you must also experience.

As to not selling to "resellers"; that's really not under Mikes control by US law. If a would be buyer complies with his terms and conditions of sale, he really can't refuse to sell. Especially so because that buyer might choose to resell (at any price), less he conflict with law which requires him to not "restrain trade". If you think it through, why should he even want to do so? He's selling at list and to some degree getting additional distribution, promotion and sales. Moreover, once he sells a product, it is no longer his to control. (Again by constraint of law)

That someone can purchase from Mike and resell at a higher price yet, simply confirms the value that MikesXS makes available to us.

ore power to Mike for whatever floats the MikesXs boat. Thanks Mike, Blue-Rex Blanchard

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Note: All parts sold by Mikes XS are made exclusivly for Mikes XS by factories in Asia (Almost 98 percent in Taiwan & Japan), and a very few parts in Hong Kong, Vietnam and mainland China ( these same factories make parts for Japanese, European and domestic OEM factories ).
We tell the factories how WE want it made, what to make it from and how many. We visit the factories directly and often.
The Mikes XS distribution group members worldwide all have input.
Over Three quarters of our products were No longer available when we decided to provide these items to keep the XS on the road long term.
If we decide to spend tens of thousands (or more) on tooling and production of a single non-stock replacement part this is what We decided and we feel no need to explain features, quality, testing methods and advantages to disgruntled Web commentators (5 twins, Grizld), customers or others.
If a part differs from the original then we have decided that’s the way we want it !
Information on fitments and function on our site are correct as far as we have been able to ascertain from our groups testing and our individual agents training and experience reaching back individually about 40 years each. We try to provide a good part at a fair price.
If customers want the original Yamaha OEM parts then they will have to seek those out where they can (see our site links). Mike @ Mikes XS
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

You definately need a UK distributor Mike.

We may be in Europe but we dont use the Single European Currency the Euro. We are still £ stirling.

Currently the big bore kit works out at £500 UK.

Thats a thousand pre credit crunch bucks!
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 27, 2008, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Yeah,shame..way too expensive! Crying or Very sad
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
cretin75xs650

PostPosted: January 12, 2009, 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Hey Mike, is their a way you could keep buyers informed about out of stock parts. There are numerous parts that I would like t purchase but you have been out of stock for over a month. I like dealing with your company because of the easy of one stop shopping but would like to proceed with my build. Just a suggestion to keep potential buyers in the loop.
Mikesxs

PostPosted: January 12, 2009, 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Too many customers to send notices. I have a full ocean container or two arriving every month. Shipping companies are erratic at best and I am expecting a container today that was scheduled to arrive 2 weeks ago.
I can post up on this site a list of new arrivals but I am not sure where to put it as each list is very long. Often shipments contain parts ordered 2-3 years ago and I hate to release lists as I beleive it when I unpack the container & see it! Just about everything has an outstanding order as I try to keep a years supply ahead. Makers put old parts on a low priority so I must wait and take it when it shows or the suppliers will not make it again. Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
cretin75xs650

PostPosted: January 12, 2009, 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

So far I've been satisfied with the parts that I've received from your company and the selection is great. I will keep visiting your site and hopefully you will have what I need. Thanks...
jpowell

PostPosted: January 13, 2009, 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

I figure I too should throw in my thanks. There's always going to be some people that have a bad experiance. and they may have good reason to be upset, but with you can't make everyone happy. I have had nothing but good experiances from you, except for a few parts I ordered wrong. Which were my fault, not yours. you sent what I asked for.
So, all that being said. Thanks for making parts available to keep these bikes on the road.

woodman

PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Any chnace in the future for some realy trick looking 2-1 pipes, both high & low type ?
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 20, 2009, 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

High pipes !high pipes !..pleeeaase ... For £50....
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: January 20, 2009, 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Thus far, I have been more than satisfied with your parts, Mike, and I'll register my thanks here as well. I got into the reinvigoration of this formerly dead '73 having little idea what a rarity I had found or what it would take to bring her back. but you are always my first stop. If you ever need any visual reinforcement for continuing your hobby, visit my gallery.

Cheers -

TC
Photo Gallery
81XSChopper
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 20, 2009, 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Even though I am one of those customers who bought a clutch cable that broke within a couple weeks of installation I do not think it is fair to disparage Mike's entire organization. I handled the disappointment by doing a little research and then buying the thicker one from 650 Central.

Getting a bad batch of product from your supplier is a problem for both the consumer and the retailer and it is obvious from just how small a percentage of Mike's stock is reported as bad that he is doing his best to insure that a quality product is being sold. Moreover, it is hard to hold Mike to a higher standard than even the OEM manufacturer when in one spot he has assembled a comprehensive array of stock repair parts, innovative newly designed items -- and then offers them at the most competitive prices with fast and hyper cheap shipping.

I also work on another classic bike, the sohc Honda 750/4, and can tell you that getting basic parts for those bikes, even though they were just as popular as the XS650, is a much different story. Basic stuff like carb jets, valves, pistons, rings, sprockets, etc are oftentimes very difficult to acquire. It can take months of searching and networking to get the parts together that I could accomplish with Mike's in a matter of minutes.

To my mind both MikesXS and 650 Central offer tremendous service and value to the XS community. It is a disservice to ones own efforts to write them off because one of their vendors ends up giving them just one sub-par item.

JMHO

greg

Bike History: Vespa 150, 200; Honda CL175; Honda CB350; Yamaha XS650 stock (4) XS650 Bobber; Honda Magna; Kaw GPZ550; 59 panhead; XL chopped. Current Rides: Yamaha 81XS650H Cchopper; 75 Honda CB750 bobber; 78 CB 750F Stock
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 20, 2009, 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

81xsChopper

Very well said....

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 20, 2009, 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Yes for sure, it would be a different world without Mikes, even in Aus (about as far away from FLA as it gets) when I've used Mikes I've got a quality and speedy delivery. Sometimes quicker than Yamaha can get parts for my modern ride! Cheers
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: January 20, 2009, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

I've been happy with everything I ever bought from MikesXS. The prices are right. The shipping is fast. I've never had a problem, so I don't know anything about how they handle complaints.

The XS650 would die without Mikes. NOBODY can afford junkyard prices any more. Last year I wanted a banjo bolt for the rear brake anti-rotation arm on my 81 XS. I found a used one in Kansas: $15 for the bolt, $30 to send a mechanic into the yard to pull the bolt off the bike, $15 to ship. That's $60 for a lousy bolt that didn't retail for more than a buck or two when the bike was in production.

Thanks to some advice I got from this forum, I found a brand-new NOS bolt at an outfit in Oregon: $6 for the part and a buck or two (I forget) to ship. Point is: If it wasn't for Mike and the help of this forum, I'd probably have to get my yocks by rebuilding lawnmowers.
Mikesxs

PostPosted: March 11, 2009, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Notice: New XS performance #07-0114 reverse cone megaphone with new performance baffel have arrived. These fit the New 07-0767 2-1 exhaust.
Limited quantities by Air freight ( rest coming on ocean ).
Should be listed and in shopping basket by Friday.

ALSO: following NEW XS Performance parts
New 75Kv Ignition Coils for Pamco and other Ignitions ( single & Dual type)
New 447 type Rocker Arms with Elephant foot floating adjusters
New carb spacers for Dellorto carbs ( more low end power )
Also :
Early type XS1/2 oval Tank Badges to fit "Special" model tanks
Shift Shafts

Note: These items are NOT Made in the USA so do not meet approval by Gordon /Grizld - negative comments by him to follow.
(likely before the parts are even seen ).

ike @ Mikes XS
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 11, 2009, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Who makes them ? A UK firm possibly (Brituro?) ?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 11, 2009, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: mikes performance parts

Is there any UK or USA firms.......?

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2