650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Exhaust > > XS2 MikesXS Commando Pipe Installation Question

XS2 MikesXS Commando Pipe Installation Question
    Forum Index -> Exhaust
bsquared

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 5:45 pm    Post subject: XS2 MikesXS Commando Pipe Installation Question

I just received my "Commando" replacement pipes from Mikes for my XS2. My bike just had old auto glass packs on before, so I'm not sure how the hanger brackets work on the replacements. Do they attach to the rear footpeg studs? If so, I need to bend the brackets. On the sprocket side, the hanger bracket is frightenly close to the chain and sprocket. Any ideas? I'm tempted to not use the hanger bracket, but I think the pipes would stress out and prematurely break at the header joint.
Thanks,
Bsquared
(5 degrees and getting ready for spring!)

Philippians 4:7 I really believe Wink that this has been mistranslated...St. Paul was thinking about a large Chocolate brownie when he mentioned the "piece that passes all understanding." (Yes...I'm joking)
Photo Gallery
bsquared

PostPosted: January 31, 2008, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 MikesXS Commando Pipe Installation Question

I forgot to say, my bike is a 1972 xs2650 and the pipes are 05-1067b Universal 26" pipes.
Bsquared.

Philippians 4:7 I really believe Wink that this has been mistranslated...St. Paul was thinking about a large Chocolate brownie when he mentioned the "piece that passes all understanding." (Yes...I'm joking)
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: February 1, 2008, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 MikesXS Commando Pipe Installation Question

With pretty much any aftermarket muffler installation, some tweaking and fabbing is usually needed. Yes, they attach to the rear footpeg studs. The original mufflers for your model had the hanger brackets welded right onto them. Later models used a triangle shaped combination footpeg holder and muffler hanger. This bolted to the backside of the muffler in 2 places. I've found that one strap provided with it's single bolt in the sliding track really isn't adequate on these bikes with the way they vibrate. The bolt head will pull through the track in no time. You need to use what I like to call the "Goran Method" for mounting these sliding track type mufflers. Of course, he used stainless but I found it too hard to work with (cut, drill, tap) so I just used regular steel.

smg.photobucket.com/al...%20System/

If you have stock style headpipes that bolt to the frame below the footpegs, you may need to shim that out with a washer or 2 so the pipe sits farther away, especially on that chain side. You may want to try one of the newer pipe hanger brackets as that might save you the trouble of fabbing one up yourself. On my '78, I switched to the hanger bracket from an XS500 as it locates the forward track mounting hole a bit farther back. This more closely matched up with the sliding track. Minor filing to enlarge the upper mounting hole slightly was the only mod needed to make it fit.

xs500 pipe hanger.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.48 KB
 Viewed:  328 Time(s)

xs500 pipe hanger.jpg

650d-e-f pipe hanger.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.99 KB
 Viewed:  324 Time(s)

650d-e-f pipe hanger.jpg

bsquared

PostPosted: February 1, 2008, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 MikesXS Commando Pipe Installation Question

Thanks! Shimming out the header pipes is a great idea. Where did you find the hanger brackets for the xs500?
Bsquared.

Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: February 1, 2008, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 MikesXS Commando Pipe Installation Question

I was lucky enough to be given a junk 500 a few years back. I stripped everything I thought might be of use some day and scrapped the rest. These weren't very good bikes so if you have a bike boneyard near you, you'll probably find several residing there. Then there's always eBay, too.

I love these Commando mufflers, by the way. Big improvement over the Dunstall replicas I was running. Better sound, fit, and look in my opinion. I added the provided allen bolt "plug" to the baffle plate to tone them down a bit. They were just a bit too raspy without it. That plug doesn't quiet them down a whole lot, just takes the rough edges off. They still sound great.
bsquared

PostPosted: February 1, 2008, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 MikesXS Commando Pipe Installation Question

I saw those allen bolt plugs, but don't see where they go. Isn't the baffle plate inside of the muffler? I don't see how they would come apart.
I have a machinist friend here who could make a plate if drew up the specs, or copied it from your photo, could be interesting. I'd hate to buy a junk bike just for the bracket, although, making a bobber would be neat possibility, but then, I'm way off track.

Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: February 1, 2008, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: XS2 MikesXS Commando Pipe Installation Question

Look in the rear end of the muffler. The baffle plate is set in 2 or 3 inches. There is a hole in the center of it with a nut welded to it. That's where the allen bolt goes. With the bolt out, the exhaust can come through this hole plus diffuse around the outsides of the plate. With the bolt "plug" installed, the exhaust can only exit around the outer edges of the baffle plate. It doesn't seem like much, just plugging that small center hole, but it does make a noticeable difference in the sound - better I think. Here's mine with the allen bolt installed .....

baffle bolt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.81 KB
 Viewed:  402 Time(s)

baffle bolt.jpg

Forum Index -> Exhaust All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1