650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > Top End Work > > timing

timing
    Forum Index -> Top End Work
lar55

PostPosted: January 28, 2008, 7:51 pm    Post subject: timing

Hello I've got a 650 that is hard to start, it kicks back like an old Harley. I think the timing is advanced to far. How can I retard that back a little? Thanks
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 28, 2008, 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: timing

year, points or TCI? if points this pic may help you'll need a Ohm meter or a test light or a timing strobe
xsjohn

PostPosted: February 29, 2008, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: timing

My electronic 80 seems to run the best right about here.......kicking and electric start are happy.......and the low end is better and I can lug it down and it still takes off like it always did........definitely runs along smoother at cruise.........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 29, 2008, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: timing

Slightly retarded? Mine too ...Always have ...
Photo Gallery
Tomterrific

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: timing

Retarding the cruise rpm timing can have the engine running hot. I don't know if this is a problem with the XS. The full advance timing seems high on these anyhow. A function of a classic hemi combustion chamber.

Tom Graham
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: timing

Retarding the ignition on just about any motor I can think of will cause the engine to run hotter. A higher percentage of the cylinder wall is exposed to the flame front the more the ignition is retarded, thus heating up the internals of the motor more than they normally would be.

Years ago, I had an old Jensen sports car with a cam and Weber carbs, and the only way I could get it to pass CA smog was to retard the ignition timing. As soon as it passed the test, I'd drive down the block, pull over, and advance the timing back to where it was supposed to be. Smile Couldn't leave it retarded for any length of time, or else it would overheat like crazy.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: timing

We aren't talking about a lot of retard ........just 2 or 3 degrees......

John
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: timing

With you there John.
I reckon the factory 'marks' must be out.. Wink
ine never overheat,and NEVER 'pink' (dont know what you yanks call pre-ignition) so I wont end up with a holed piston!
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: timing

xs1961 wrote:
Mine never overheat,and NEVER 'pink' (dont know what you yanks call pre-ignition)

Close. We call it "ping."

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
grizld1

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: timing

Factory marks in my experience run +/- 2* or so; production variations in keyway machining and small variations in stator positioning (and thus positioning of the marks) are responsible for the error. I index TDC with piston locator and degree wheel any time the stator's been off, and just went through the process with a new Sparx permanent magnet alternator.

A lot of factors, fuel in particular, have a bearing on best setting for ignition timing. Gordon Jennings' classic article on plug reading covers the issue really well (available at www.biker.net ); according to Jennings, factory spec for most bikes of the period advanced the timing too far for best operation. I run at around 37* BTDC; no overheating issues.

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: timing

I don't disagree with any ones method of setting the timing......I ride so much that I can feel the best place and set it there.......just so happens that it always ends up a bit retarded.........maybe it's trying to be like it's rider.....I have never heard mine ping no matter where I set it and the temps don't seem to change .....just set it where it runs along the smoothest and still takes off like it should......like the ole farmer did with his tractor......and the model A with the lever on the column.......put a pull lever on my 69 truck attached to turn the distributor so I can set it on the fly.......easy to tell where it runs the best that way.......no I'm not gonna do that....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: timing

John, you'd have loved the old 55 c.i. Hardly I had back in the mid-sixties ('56 KH). It had two twistgrips--throttle on the right, ignition advance on the left.

PostPosted: April 2, 2008, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: timing

Cool......my problem is I would forget which is which........xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Top End Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1