650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Wheels, Brakes and Controls > > Longer Chain needed

Longer Chain needed
    Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls
geezerbiker

PostPosted: December 18, 2007, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Longer Chain needed

Putting Kawi wheels on my XS650. Strangely everything seems to fit. Only problem seems to be that the Kawi rear drive sprocket is larger, so the XS chain is too short. How do I know what size chain to get for it?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 18, 2007, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer Chain needed

slide the wheel all the way forward then put the xs chain on top and bottom of the larger sprocket and count the missing links...you realize this is going to low gear your bike?
wesleyonoel

PostPosted: December 19, 2007, 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer Chain needed

I imagine there are a lot of wheels that will fit. When I got my '73 TX, there was a Suzuki wheel of some sort on the rear - unknown to me. Didn't realize it until time came to upgrade the swing arm, shocks, brakes, etc. What a mess.................but I was able to find an original replacement wheel.............. The Suzuki wheel worked just fine though. But as long as I was freshening things, I decided to return it to original - steel wheel with spokes. Looks much better now. Next step is to relace with stainless steel spokes.................Wes
5twins

PostPosted: December 19, 2007, 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer Chain needed

104 links is the usual stock size. Aftermarket chains are usually sold in 10 link jumps (100, 110, 120, etc.). A 110 should probably do but best to measure as Jayel said. How big is the sprocket (# of teeth)? If it's in the 40s, you're probably going to need to change it. That would gear the bike way low.

ost of the bikes I've had fall between that 100 and 110 link size so I get 110 link chains and shorten them to the length I need.
geezerbiker

PostPosted: December 19, 2007, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer Chain needed

jayel wrote:
slide the wheel all the way forward then put the xs chain on top and bottom of the larger sprocket and count the missing links...you realize this is going to low gear your bike?

Not sure what you mean by "count the missing links" Could you explain, please? Yes, I figure this will change the gearing. If I'm understanding how it works, it will increase torque in lower gears, but will have to turn a higher rpm to maintain the same speed in the upper gears.
ttmaniac

PostPosted: December 19, 2007, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer Chain needed

Yes, a 40 some tooth rear sprocket combined with a 17 tooth front is gonna scream up to about 75 before it blows up. Great for in town cruising/racing. I have a 36 tooth back and believe me, it's plenty for the street. Most of the guys here think I'm nuts for not going with a 32, 31, or 30 tooth....naw, rather have the "right now" torque.

He means check out how many links you are missing by counting the empty spots on the sprocket.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: December 19, 2007, 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer Chain needed

yes count the missing links between the ends of the chain then add 2 you will want to have some slack in the new chain for adjustment
geezerbiker

PostPosted: December 20, 2007, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Longer Chain needed

jayel wrote:
yes count the missing links between the ends of the chain then add 2 you will want to have some slack in the new chain for adjustment

Thanks, I think I got it. Hope so. And, since I'm remaking the bike into more of a racer than a cruiser, I like the idea of more torque off the line, so I think the larger sprocket is the way to go.

Forum Index -> Wheels, Brakes and Controls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1