650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Gasket sets

Gasket sets
    Forum Index -> Engine
pall138

PostPosted: December 2, 2007, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Gasket sets

Mikesxs has two gasket sets for sale, Does anyone have experiance with either? Are they basicly the same? The premium doesn't use and cement, is it worth the couple extra bucks?
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: December 2, 2007, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasket sets

I would say yes as the cylinder base gasket on the older, cheaper original set he still sells has a nasty tendency to blow out. That new improved base gasket is the only difference between the 2 as far as I know. These sets are too new for much feedback to have surfaced yet on that new gasket, but hopefully it's better than the old one.
royfisk

PostPosted: December 2, 2007, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasket sets

havent used that set but the original set works well. I always use sealer 3bond 1104 AND NOTHING ELSE, also available at mikes. Everyone can say what they want about sealers but that sealer is 2 cycle crankcase sealer and does not break down with oil or gas. I even used it in a pinch inside a carburator. I have never had lower cylinder leak on any engine I have built useing that sealer. Other sealers yes , never that sealer.
midnrider

PostPosted: January 27, 2008, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasket sets

I think its only the base gasket that states not to use sealer...kind of makes me nervous not using a sealer though...
NR
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 27, 2008, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasket sets

I feel certian that mine would leak without sealer......it was leaking when I got it and the gasket looked good...and had no sealer onit....real pain if it does leak....I would definately listen to Roy ......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Mikesxs

PostPosted: January 27, 2008, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasket sets

Mikes XS Only sells the premium Gasket Sets & Base gaskets. The No sealant on the special head & base gaskets is info from the factory (they wouldn't know what they are talking about now would they ?).
Personally I never had any leakage from the original standard base gaskets and had very, very limited reports from purchasers that they ever had leakage on those (out of thousands per year). The change to the best available across the board was made as we are releasing this week new High Performance Big Bore kits and it's easier to get all head & Base gaskets done with the same materials.
I can assure you that the "technical experts" who comment on almost everything posted on this and other chat sites know far less that they think and are often speaking without checking the MikesXS site or even having seen the actual product.
Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
royfisk

PostPosted: January 29, 2008, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasket sets

Mike no offense to you, but I have been doing this for many years myself and have bought gaskets from you. I speak from experiance. I personally dont have time to do the same job twice. I dont get paid second time around. Mayby these gaskets will work without leaking but I do know that the old set and three bond will not leak period, and I dont have to experament to find out. Now if your so confident with the product I will make a challange for you. I will purchase a set of these as soon as the 4 old sets I have run out, If they dont leak I will switch to them, If they do You pay the labor for another tear down and supply a set of the old gaskets..
Mikesxs

PostPosted: January 29, 2008, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gasket sets

Mikes XS is the largest purchaser of 650 gaskets in the world next to Yamaha OEM. I asked for the best material they had available and after receiving it and noticing that the gaskets were chemically treated I asked if a gasket sealant should also be used with these gaskets. The factory said they recommended No sealant so that's what I am passing on. I had no problems with the old material + three Bond but have noted that a few site "experts" (Not yourself) continually state that they feel our base gaskets are faulty. If someone wants to order everything individually from Yamaha (they No longer sell sets) they can do that if they do not mind paying about $240.00, I think we are offering good sets at a bargain price.
All of the brands made now are available to us and have been tried and we settled for the best.

Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
royfisk

PostPosted: January 30, 2008, 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Gasket sets

I cant aggree more, and like I said no offense to you mike but the old ones work and work well. Ive had no issues with them. As for these experts that state faulty base gaskets, I dont know why this is even being disscussed because no matter what brand gasket you purchase today your getting better quality then what was available 30 years ago, and even those could be sealed with proper installation and retorqueing after initial break in. Installation is cruecial to proper sealing in any application. Think we have problams with cylinder base sealing try 2 strokes . Anyone who has any experiance with them knows that the cranckcase gets pressureized for proper fuel delivery. A leak in the base gasket will cause a lean burn situation and burn a piston. This was harder to control with the old air cooled 2 cycles due to expansion and contraction. Again 3 bond sealant works well. It was designed for 2cycle crankcase sealing. AGAIN mike knows this too, thats why he sells it. IF YOU DONT WANT LEAKS DO THE JOB RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. Also note that proper crankcase ventalation is needed to assure that excessive pressure does not blow out your new gaskets. Another mistake people make is not allowing there engine to fully warm up before riding there motorcycle. Start and go's cause expansion so rapidly that it can cause gasket failure also.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1