650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Hardtail frame... Most of the site pics seem to be hardtail>

Hardtail frame... Most of the site pics seem to be hardtail>
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
mikeonbike1962

PostPosted: October 19, 2005, 7:26 am    Post subject: Hardtail frame... Most of the site pics seem to be hardtail>

Is this something that is easy to do on this bike. I haven't picked up my brothers yet, but it's a solid mass of crap. I think he wants to see it running again but he didn't say how. I'm into the minimalist/bobber look so... Is this thing easy or what?

mike
zman

PostPosted: October 20, 2005, 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hardtail frame... Most of the site pics seem to be hardt

choppers are easy compared to restoring it to original. with a chopper you dont have to worry about original parts. let your imagination flow. get it and methodically take it apart bolt by bolt. have some different size ziplocks ready for the stuff like coils, motor mounts, and nuts and bolts ect. tag them with a marker so you know what they came from. now you will have a mass of crap spread out on the ground and a raw frame.keep the front end , the rims,coils,regulator and asociated relays ,handlebar controls,footpegs, brake parts and engine gas tank( if you dont want to go custom )go to ebay where you can buy or bid on a black widow hardtail service.(they are cheaper there) and he will tell you where to cut the frame for shipping. while its being done (about 2-4 months) while thats being done try to imagine what you want it to look like. mini speedo,bullit turn signals,maltise cross tailight? what kind of seat you want. do you want to use a stock tank or get a sportster tank or other custom, handlebars, exhaust, ect. lucky you in florida. theres a bike swapmeet nearly every month. (i`m a florida native) its about a days work and an 18 pack to strip cut and catagorize the parts and maybe 4-6 months or more to get it back on the road done right. dont hurry with assembly there is allot of fine tuning to be done if you want it to look and perform right. if your going to commit to it do it right or its just a waste of time and money. are you up to it?
Phred

PostPosted: October 21, 2005, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardtail frame... Most of the site pics seem to be hardtail>

I intend to build my own hard-tail frame so I can set the lines how I want them. Check out this site for a great step-by-step on building your own frame without a jig: www.chopperhandbook.co...index.html

There is quite a bit of other info there as well.

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1