650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Putting on new tires...

Putting on new tires...
    Forum Index -> Drive
bsquared

PostPosted: October 12, 2007, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Putting on new tires...

My tires are 15 years old, (I've put almost a thousand miles on it since I got it up and running this summer) and even though the tread is good, everything I've read says they're too old to be safe. Any tips on putting on new tires, or should I just take the wheels off and have a shop put them on. Last time I replaced tires was on a bicycle, bending kitchen spoons, cussing, and generally having a hard time. If a motorcycle is any harder, I'll just have someone else do it.
Thanks,
Bsquared

Philippians 4:7 I really believe Wink that this has been mistranslated...St. Paul was thinking about a large Chocolate brownie when he mentioned the "piece that passes all understanding." (Yes...I'm joking)
Photo Gallery
BobJJ
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 13, 2007, 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Putting on new tires...

I got new tires this spring and had local bike shop install them. They charged me $10.00 each to install tires, tubes and balance. They have the equipment so your rims wont get scrached. This was off bike price.
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: October 13, 2007, 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Putting on new tires...

wow i have tubless tire rims and the bike shop I went to wanted 60$ to balance and put new rubber on tire off bike I carried it into the shop.I didnt let them do it. I called another place thatr would do it for I think 40 if I remember right it was few mos ago might have let them do it but it was ferther away ultimatly I went to reg tire shops and got turned down twice befor 1 would do it 30$
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 13, 2007, 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Putting on new tires...

Tires are simply a pain in the ass.......no better way to put it......I put a Metzler ME880 on the back this spring and almost couldn't get it on................took 3 of us.....clean the inside of the rim good with a brillo pad.......

John
Photo Gallery
bsquared

PostPosted: October 13, 2007, 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Putting on new tires...

I get the feeling taking the tires and rims to a shop is the best option. Thanks,
Bsquared

Philippians 4:7 I really believe Wink that this has been mistranslated...St. Paul was thinking about a large Chocolate brownie when he mentioned the "piece that passes all understanding." (Yes...I'm joking)
Photo Gallery
ghostyder

PostPosted: October 13, 2007, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting on new tires...

usually if you buy the tire from the shop installation is cheap.

PostPosted: October 13, 2007, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting on new tires...

Thanks,
I'll probable do that. I should have done it before taking the seat off and out to an upholsterer for renovation. We've had so many great fall days and I don't have seat to sit on, can't even get the bike to the shop for tires. It's a good time to just take the wheels off and bring 'em in. I should have got an insurance policy that allows me a winter storage discount for motorcycles.
Peace,
Bsquared

Photo Gallery
mlcarter815

PostPosted: October 16, 2007, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting on new tires...

I hate to change the subject, but what have you guys found to be a good tire? My tires are about shot, and I don't know what to get.
northernplains
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 16, 2007, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting on new tires...

I've read on here the Bridgestone Spitfire are one of the best so I ordered a set on www.chaparralmotorsports.com for $117.70 shipped. We'll see how they perform.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 17, 2007, 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Putting on new tires...

I put a Dunlop D404 on the front and worked real good for me this past summer.
Front: $58.07
Rear: $66.47 .................. from www.cruisercustomizing.com

clutch

PostPosted: October 18, 2007, 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Putting on new tires...

The spitfire looks nice, but I wanted a little siping so I went with the Dunlop 404. I got it from Amazon.com for about $70 shipped. I probably won't get to try it until spring though, getting cold Sad

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1