650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > How do you angle the frame like this? Pic inside of great bb

How do you angle the frame like this? Pic inside of great bb
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
jonomo

PostPosted: October 4, 2007, 6:26 am    Post subject: How do you angle the frame like this? Pic inside of great bb

Hey Ya'll...

I saw this pic on another site and really like the look... I don't think this is a stock frame... I like how the back is sloping downwards like that... How did he do it? and are those harley sportster shocks on the back?
georelle

PostPosted: October 4, 2007, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: How do you angle the frame like this? Pic inside of great bb

It is a modified stock frame. You can tel by the peg mount area. I have modified my frame similar to this you can see a pic in the bobber section under softail bobber. The back was cut off, the mount for the rear shocks was moved and the shocks a pretty short. The neck area has been cleaned up on this bike but I don't think the rake has been changed.

Georelle

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 4, 2007, 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: How do you angle the frame like this? Pic inside of great bb

Hey,
the down tube is single tube he must have put that in. looks to be 1 1/4 tubing when you remove the gusset from the neck you definately take away from the handling. Where the back bone meats the two tubes to v under the seat has been cut and the section by the rear tire has been dropped I should think about 3 to 4 inches to line up with the back bone angle. even the tubes that go under the engine from the back to the front had to have been heated and bent to connect to the single down tube. For the effort I think it's great but might as well just build a new frame from scratch. If you are looking for balance and less weight have the frame become part of the structural member like a harris framed bike.
Photo Gallery
ghostyder

PostPosted: October 4, 2007, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you angle the frame like this? Pic inside of great bb

Im not sure that the single down tube would affect handling at all. What makes you say this? Personal experience? I might think it would effect the handling in road racing possibly but the type of riding I would imagine this bike doing doesnt seem like a factor to me.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 4, 2007, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you angle the frame like this? Pic inside of grea

...from MY personal experience that single downtube will make the bike handle as if it was made of rubber...Ever tried riding an XS1 you'll know what I mean & the XS1 frame was gusseted a lot more than the one in the pic !!
Photo Gallery
jonomo

PostPosted: November 27, 2007, 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: How do you angle the frame like this? Pic inside of great bb

Has the back been stretched at all?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 27, 2007, 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: How do you angle the frame like this? Pic inside of great bb

with the Schwinn stingray handlebars I don't think you need to worry to much about handling, looks like a pipe dragger too
georelle

PostPosted: December 23, 2007, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you angle the frame like this? Pic inside of great bb

Jono
It does not look like the back has been stretched. I hope those shocks don't have a lot of travel as it looks like there is only about one inch clearance to the fender which is fixed to the frame. Nice looking ride though.

'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery
DGrason

PostPosted: January 8, 2008, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you angle the frame like this? Pic inside of grea

I've seen this bike photo several places around the web and everytime I see it, I stop and do a double take. Yeah, it's a really good looking ride. This bike is in Japan and they're doing a number of things differently than they are here. But when you start studying it, and studying the details, you can see a number of things that are not really practical for everyday riding. But this is a show bike. And show bikes are not practical anyway.

HOWEVER, the pipes have blued, so you know that guy's been riding. So I would use this bike as inspiration only. I think the cool thing to do would be to build a bike that had this "look" while still being really practical to ride everyday. I've been collecting parts for my XS650 bobber build and this is the only bike that makes me question the plan to hardtail mine. That's because I really like this too and it seems with a little extra planning, it could be every bit as cool and still offer an excellent quality ride. But some compromises would have to be made. The rear fender would have to be higher OR attached to the swingarm. The Schwinn handlebars would have to be swapped out for some real motorcycle bars. The downtube would have to be beefed. The front disc looks like it's also from a bicycle. So THAT'S gotta be beefed up too. Looks unsafe to me.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1