650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Noob from the Twin Cities

Noob from the Twin Cities
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
northernplains
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Noob from the Twin Cities

Good evening all - I'm a newbie just getting my feet wet and trying to comprehend the info I've been researching. Can someone post the exact locations where the model and engine numbers can be found? Pics would be most helpful. I'm going to own a '80 xs650 Special and see a label at the furthest point on the frame. Its a white label just below the handlebars but haven't looked for the engine ID. Can someone point out all this info for future reference?? With pics? Thanks in advance.

Pete
LouC

PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob from the Twin Cities

I just went thru that drill the other day myself..looking for the engine ser number...

Get on the floor, look at the front of the engine block..near the front motor mount. You should see the numbers stamped into the block running up and down. Should match the VIN number on the white tag on the neck of the frame. The frame will also have the same number stamped on it up on the neck area.

Welcome to 650's!! I have a 77 that I picked up last week..just getting started on pulling things apart so I can try to make it run after some cleaning and checking out...
Joseph

PostPosted: September 11, 2007, 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Noob from the Twin Cities

welcome, i myself have an 80 special w 9k miles my 1st street bike i love it and did some to it changed bushings, fork oil, adjusted valves set chain tesion on cam and drive. good luck youl find alot of usefull info here.

www.650rider.com/index...pic&t=2383

Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 11, 2007, 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Noob from the Twin Cities

Born in the Twin Cities myself........Also have an 80........Better watch thoses first year epa tin top carbs......very lean.......found that out myself the hard way..........

John
Photo Gallery
northernplains
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 11, 2007, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob from the Twin Cities

LouC - Thanks for the info, its going into the hard memory.

xsjohn - What do you recommend I do as far as the carb goes? Did you put in a different carb? If the stock carb isn't ideal I'd like to switch it out eventually with something that can perform. I'm currently cruising around on a '00 Honda Helix scooter with the 244cc engine. Not getting the punch when I need it so I'm looking forward to the xs650 to mess around on. I'll be riding with a passenger 99% of the time but I'm sure the Yamaha can handle it.

Also, who is that dude with the rifle? I see you post alot in here and always see that dude so I'm just wondering.
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 11, 2007, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob from the Twin Cities

Personally I think the tin tops are good.....just lean.....especially the 80....

Pilot jet needs to be inlarged.......(42.5) to 47.5 an least......I bored mine from .016 to .018 thousands with a plain steel guitar string believe it or not......then set mixture screws at 1 1/2-2 turns out instead of 3 1/2 stock.....deceleration is now wonderful with no clanking anywhere or anytime.....

ain needle needs raising .030 thousands........then we can discuss the right hotter cylinder......if this is a problem on yours......

ain Jet (132.5) 137.5

none of the changes are permanent and can be undone......

Now it starts without the choke unless it is really cold out.......I have some posts on the 80 carbs....spent a lot of time dicking with these 80's to get them smooth and un-lean....all of the above is really easy to do.....don forget the allens in the float bowl......

Totally different motorcycle now.......

John
Photo Gallery
northernplains
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 12, 2007, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob from the Twin Cities

Thanks for the info John. I printed it off and also researched your prior posting and found your "Laser Thermometer Fine Tuning". Definitely saved that one and absorbing the info the best I can. The site admin mentioned starting a "How-To" section which I think is an excellent idea but I don't see it. Am I overlooking it here or has it not been created yet? Keep sharing your knowledge, its definitely valued.

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1