650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Thrust washer woes...

Thrust washer woes...
    Forum Index -> Drive
jetflyr

PostPosted: August 28, 2007, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Thrust washer woes...

So, a continuation of the stiff clutch thing... I have tweaked and tuned and have decided that the clutch now only gets stiff when then engine gets up to temp. So, I'm tihinking spacing problems. I have already found a few wrong pieces from pervious owners but I think I found a new one. The Yamaha fiche and my Clymer shows, coming from the crank, the main bearing then a washer (#17) followed by a thrust washer (#16) then the spiral grooved oil cylinder (#15). The spacing is all wrong. Either my thrust washer is too wide or the additional washer is not needed. When I leave the washer out the clutch basket lines up perfectly with the step in the shaft and the clutch pieces do not touch. It's not that way if I follow the book. Anyone have some input??? Or has anyone discovered this also? As usual, I really appreciate all of the help.
-Jack

ya4643_16.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.16 KB
 Viewed:  279 Time(s)

ya4643_16.gif

xsjohn

PostPosted: August 28, 2007, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thrust washer woes...

check inner clutch hub in and out play when it is tightened.......If you really thought it was what you described and it was mine I would take .010 off the thrust washer on a surface mill.......I have done dum things that worked....And other dummer things that didn't.......

John
Photo Gallery
Mikesxs

PostPosted: August 28, 2007, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thrust washer woes...

See www.mikesxs.com site - ENGINE - Clutch, Transmission section - part #39-6505. The solution is there for you to read.
Mike Lalonde Mikes XS
INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 28, 2007, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thrust washer woes...

Installed that part in mine, and helped a bunch. Hard working on bikes when you don't know what the PO has done, or if he knew what he was doing.
Photo Gallery
jetflyr

PostPosted: August 29, 2007, 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Thrust washer woes...

Good sales job Mike but I've already got your bearing:) My final determination is that the washer that was put in there was not an oem part. It's way too thick. I think that a some point someone replaced the clutch and didn't have a manual. I've found a few doubled up washers and such. I'd love to run those people over with my nicely running bike:)

PostPosted: August 29, 2007, 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thrust washer woes...

OK, here's the sequence of washers, measurements in millimeters, part numbers referenced to the drawing you posted.

1. Against bearing: ID 25/ OD 35/ Th .05 ( Part 17)

2. ID 25/OD 50/Th 2 (Part 16)

3. Clutch basket with bushing (Part 15)

4. ID 35/OD 51/ Th .05

5. Needle bearing

6. ID 25/OD 50/ Th 2

7. Clutch hub

BTW, Mike, your upgrade needle bearing is one fine item. Been using it for years--very durable.

PostPosted: September 13, 2009, 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thrust washer woes...

Hi guys,

I pulled the clutch on my recently acquired 81 special, and when I pulled back the tab on the lockwasher, the clutch boss (nut) was barely finger tight, not the 65 ft/lbs specced in the clymer.

I have removed all sorts of washers put there by the previous owner.

I now have the washers put in as per the list above (figured that much out myself), but instead of the spline on the shaft finishing flush with the inner clutch hub, the spline finishes 1.5 mm or so short.

So if you torque the nut down at all, you bind the clutch. I'm guessing this is why the PO left it this way. I'd prefer to get it right.

I can actually put just the first thrust washer, then the spacer, next thrust washer, then the hub (leaving out the whole clutch basket/bearings etc for a process of elimination), and the spline is still short. I'm guessing maybe the thrust washers are too thick, though they are 2mm.

The gear on the clutch basket just clears the engine case beside the primary gear, so it can't go much closer to the bearing.

Any ideas?

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1