650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > carb id and mounting boot.

carb id and mounting boot.
    Forum Index -> Fuel
tanman2003

PostPosted: September 7, 2005, 11:42 pm    Post subject: carb id and mounting boot.

i think i need new boots, the thing is im not sure what carbs i have. mikes xs only sells the later model ones, and my 81 has been retrofitted with manythings such as points, im not sure what else he has changed. all i know is i have manual petcocks and there are no vaccume barbs on the boots.
anyone know a sure way to id the carbs so i can buy some boots?
grizld1

PostPosted: September 10, 2005, 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: carb id and mounting boot.

See www.motorcyclecarbs.com for a complete year-by-year breakdown on the five(!) different carb. bodies Yamaha fitted over the years and specs. for each.

PostPosted: September 11, 2005, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: carb id and mounting boot.

A goog way to see if you really need boots or not is to spray some starting fluid arround the boots with the engine running, if the engine speeds up you have a leak. Are you sure the carbs can't be rebuilt? Those thing get expensive in a hurry! JMHO, but I am a cheap skate!
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: September 12, 2005, 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: carb id and mounting boot.

Gee, that starter fluid's great stuff! You can use it to check for voltage leaks, too--just get the spray or a little vapor near a little hint of a spark and poof!--your bike's on fire and you know you've found it!

But if that sounds a little too exciting, use carb cleaner to check for intake leaks. It usually triggers a sharp RPM drop.

PostPosted: September 12, 2005, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: carb id and mounting boot.

guess I learned my lesson not to pass on advice from the parts guy at the shop.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: September 12, 2005, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: carb id and mounting boot.

Got two theories on that parts guy's advice, Turk. One: innocent mistake (if he knew the difference between starter spray and cleaner spray he'd be making a decent buck turning wrenches). Two: evil marketing ploy (he sells LOTS of parts after guys burn up their scoots!) Back in the old days before there was spray-in carb cleaner and we carried clubs across our bars to beat off the pterodactyls, we used to use diesel fuel in a spray bottle. Same effect; the engine would suck it in and the rpm's would drop.

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1